cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cleco
Level 2

Sales Tax Liability report

On my sales tax liability report the number of my total sales is correct.  However, the tax collected is incorrect.  When I click on the tax collected column to see the detail, I noticed that one of the sales is that shows in the total sales detail is not included in the tax collected detail.  How do I remedy this issue?

Solved
Best answer March 25, 2019

Best Answers
Anonymous
Not applicable

Get that transaction open on-screen, then open the report tab (or F2) and print the transaction details. Now you can see is any sales tax amount was generated by the transaction.  If so then follow the trail forward.  If not then look at the tax code used and the settings for that code.

View solution in original post

9 Comments 9
Angelyn_T
QuickBooks Team

Hello there, @cleco.

It's nice to have you here in the Community.

I'd be glad to help share information about running the Sales Tax Liability report in QuickBooks Desktop (QBDT).

It's possible that some items were tagged as non-taxable reason why the tax collected has the incorrect amount. You may need to check each transaction manually to see if the items were tagged a taxable. 

If there were items tagged as non-taxable, you can change it to taxable to correct the amount.

To learn more about sales tax, and sales tax liability report, you can check these articles:

Please stay in touch if you have any other sales tax concerns, I'll be right here to help you. Have a great day ahead!

cleco
Level 2

All items are tagged as taxable on the invoice.  In fact on the Sales Tax Liability report, this invoice is correctly included along with other invoices in the Total Sales & Taxable Sales.  However, the Sales Tax Collected does not included the amount collected for this invoice.

JanyRoseB
QuickBooks Team

Thanks for getting back to the QuickBooks Community, @cleco.

Allow me to jump in and help provide some additional information about the sales tax liability report in QuickBooks Desktop.

Make sure to select the correct date range and accounting method when you pull up the Sales Tax Liability report to show the tax collected amount. If the same thing happens, you'll need to rebuild and verify the data in QuickBooks Desktop to remove the empty or damaged information from the file.

To rebuild the data, here's how: 

1. At the top menu bar, click File.
  2. Select Utilities, and choose Rebuild Data.
  3. Click OK if you receive a prompt to backup your company file. Your computer may display the message QuickBooks is not responding. However, as long as you can see your mouse courser to move, Rebuild still ongoing. Wait for it to complete.
  4. Click OK when you get the message Rebuild has completed.

And to verify the data in QuickBooks, please click this article for the troubleshooting steps: Verify and Rebuild Data in QuickBooks Desktop

If you need further assistance with the steps, I recommend contacting our QuickBooks Desktop Chat Support Team. They have additional tools to pull up your account and do a remote session. 

Here's how you can contact our chat support:

1. Select QuickBooks Desktop Help from the Help menu.
  2. You can also press F1 on your keyboard to bring up the same Help Panel
  3. In order to route you to the correct support expert, we need to know what type of question you have.
  4. Click Continue.
  5. We’ll provide you a few options. You choose which one is best for you.

Please let me know how it goes by leaving a comment below. I'll be around to help if you have any other questions about the Sales tax liability report. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Not quite clear if you mean (1) the sales tax you think should be included is missing or
(2) there is a amount shown in the sales tax column that is not being included in the grand total.
If #2 (which should be impossible) then absolutely its data corruption
If #1 then need to dig further into the transaction details, and various tax codes & settings
cleco
Level 2

Thank you.  I'll try that.

cleco
Level 2

It's #1.  The invoice/payment is included correctly in the Total Sales and Taxable Sales, but the sales tax is not included in the Tax Collected portion of the report.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Get that transaction open on-screen, then open the report tab (or F2) and print the transaction details. Now you can see is any sales tax amount was generated by the transaction.  If so then follow the trail forward.  If not then look at the tax code used and the settings for that code.

William Lavasque
Level 3

I ran into this problem too, what it was is that the taxable sales column was excluding shipping from the amount, but in my state if your item is taxable the shipping is taxable as well. Never did figure out how to add shipping to the report. 

ChristieAnn
QuickBooks Team

Hi there, William Lavasque.

Currently, there's no option to add shipping to the Sales Tax Liability report in QuickBooks Desktop. You'll need to manually open each transaction from that report. You'll also have the option to customize the report to show the specific transaction type so you're able to easily locate the entry. This way, you're able to see the whole info including the shipping. 

Here's how:

1. Click the Reports menu at the top.
  2. Choose Vendors & Payables. Then, select Sales Tax Liability.
  3. You can choose specific Dates and Report Basis.
  4. Click the Customize Report button. Then, go to the Filters tab.
  5. From the Search Filters field, type Transaction Type.
  6. In the Transaction Type drop-down arrow, choose the entry.
  7. Hit OK. Then, find the transaction and double click it to open a page.
  8. You'll see the option Ship to for shipping.

For additional information on how you can customize a report, you can click this article: Customize reports in QuickBooks Desktop.

I suggest visiting our QuickBooks Firm of the Future blog to know about the latest news and updates from QuickBooks Desktop.

Please know that you're always welcome to post if you have any other concerns. Wishing you and your business continued success.

Need to get in touch?

Contact us