cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Gordonm2528
Level 1

Sales orders - QuickBooks online

Does anyone know how I can integrate sales orders into QuickBooks online? Is there an add on app I can use? Is this a feature that will be added in the future? I keep finding answers that say I need to create an estimate but I use estimates differently then I use sales orders. I have volume orders that I fill partially and I would like my invoices to link to the sales orders so I can create reports and track what I still owe my customers. Please help! 

13 Comments 13
JonpriL

Hi @Gordonm2528,

In QuickBooks Online, the only way to create a sales order is through an estimate.

In addition, you can you can list all your items and services out from a single estimate. Here's how:

1.  Go to the Plus icon.
  2. Under Customers, select Estimate.
  3. Choose a customer for your estimate.
  4. Select a date.
  5. Enter or choose all of your items and/or services.
  6. Type in the quantity and the amount of your items and/or services.
  7. Click Save and close.

Once done, you can send the estimate to your customers. If they will accept your estimate, you cam easily create an invoice out from an already created estimate.

For your reference, I've included our detailed guide in creating an estimate.

Please let know if you have any other questions by leaving a comment below. It'll be always my pleasure to help.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Is QuickBooks Online ever going to incorporate the Sales Order module?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Is QuickBooks Online ever going to incorporate the Sales Orders module?

AlcaeusF

Hi there, sheryl0036.

Welcome to the Community. I'm here to assist you with any questions you may have related to the QuickBooks Online features.

Right now, there we haven't received any updates yet from our product engineers about the Sales Order module. In the meantime, you can customize the estimate template to show as Sales Order for you to apply them on invoices later on.

For you to stay updated to any new features, you may visit our QuickBooks Blog through the link I'm adding below:

https://quickbooks.intuit.com/blog/.

Please reach out to me here should you have additional questions concerning sales orders. The Community seeks to serve you.

HRALLP
Level 1

In Quickbooks Enterprise we use the Sales order to create a work order. We have customized this through the use of Templates. Is there a way to do this in QBO ?

Mark_R
QuickBooks Team

Hi there, @HRALLP.

Estimates works the same way with sales orders. Since QuickBooks Online doesn't have sales order, you can consider using and customizing the estimate template to create a work order. Let me guide you how.

1. Click the Gear icon.
  2. Select Custom Form Styles.
  3. Choose the Estimate from the New style drop-down.
  4. Select a tab to start customizing your form template.
  5. Click Done.

Here's an article for the detailed steps and information: Customize your Invoices, Estimates, and Sales Receipts.

You can also import and design custom form styles for your estimates in QBO. For your reference, you can check out this article for the detailed steps: Import Custom Form Styles for Invoice or Estimates.

Feel free to check out these articles for your future reference:

Don't hesitate to leave a comment below if you have additional questions. We're always here to help.

Bud Aiken - Windkraft Serv
Level 1

Any advancement in providing Sales Order functionality in QB Online. For goods providing small businesses like my clients, this functionality is essential.  From looking at the positing record, this deficiency has been raised for literally years.  Intuit, do you intend to fill this gap or not?  If not will need to advise my clients to look elsewhere for software.

Fiat Lux - ASIA
Level 15

@Bud Aiken - Windkraft Serv wrote:

Intuit, do you intend to fill this gap or not?  

@Bud Aiken - Windkraft Serv 

They have acquired one app last year to fill the gap.

AlcaeusF

Hello @Bud Aiken - Windkraft Serv,

Thank you for posting here in the Community. Allow me to chime in and share additional information about the functionality you need in QuickBooks.

Currently, the option to create sales orders is unavailable. As a workaround, you can create an estimate instead, which you can apply to an invoice in the future.

As of now, there's no update yet regarding the missing feature. Though, it would be beneficial to have the ability to create this type of transaction in the Online version, too.

Our engineers might be working to bring this feature over to this platform in the future. While there's no update yet, I also recommend sending your feedback through these steps:

1. Click the Gear icon in the upper-right corner.
  2. Select Feedback under Profile.
  3. Share your feedback.
  4. Hit Next

As we assess this, feel free to visit our QuickBooks Blog to stay updated with all the changes that are being made.

For additional reference, I've attached a link you can use about creating estimates in QuickBooks: Create and send estimates in QuickBooks Online.

Drop me a comment below if you have any other questions about using QuickBooks. I'll be more than happy to help. Wishing you a good one.

micnet_aws
Level 2

This does not answer the question and it is a useless answer dodging the question. ADD SALES ORDER FUNCTIONALITY to quickbooks online if you want business users to move to the cloud.

Fiat Lux - ASIA
Level 15

@micnet_aws 

This feature is available in their add-on app. Consider having an additional app to integrate with your QBO or switching to QB Desktop. Setup a simple private cloud solution if required.  

micnet_aws
Level 2

You just don't get it do you? 

Fiat Lux - ASIA
Level 15

@micnet_aws wrote:

You just don't get it do you? 

@micnet_aws 

What do you mean? If the feature is critical for your business, you have to find a workaround or switch to another cloud based accounting app completely. You can purchase a 3rd party conversion service if required.

Need to get in touch?

Contact us