cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Experienced Member
Solved

Scheduling Local backup

I recently switched from QB Enterprise 2012 to QB Premier 2019.  Data files were converted and the new installation is working fine.  I set up the backup routine to the same way it was set up in the old Enterprise product.  The backup is set to run nightly, saving the backup to the E drive which is a separate drive attached to my computer via a USB connection.  This drive has plenty of free space and the process worked flawlessly under Enterprise.   When I run the backup manually for the Premier product, the backup works fine.  However when it runs automatically overnight, I only get a very small TMP file.  I have stored my Windows password as required.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you.

Best answer 12-18-2018 08:15 AM

Accepted Solutions
Established Community Backer ***

Re: Scheduling Local backup

Frankly I am surprised enterprise worked flawlessly using an external drive.  QB is notorious for not playing well with external drives.  Personally I think it has something to do with the wake up command QB has to first issue to access the drive, but who knows.

I back up to a computer local hard drive, and I have a script that runs to copy from the local drive to the external drive and to a google drive folder so it syncs to my account in the cloud

Sorry I couldn't be more help.

11 Comments
Experienced Member

As an additional piece of information, I am running Windows 7 Pro.

Established Community Backer ***

Frankly I am surprised enterprise worked flawlessly using an external drive.  QB is notorious for not playing well with external drives.  Personally I think it has something to do with the wake up command QB has to first issue to access the drive, but who knows.

I back up to a computer local hard drive, and I have a script that runs to copy from the local drive to the external drive and to a google drive folder so it syncs to my account in the cloud

Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Experienced Member

So I have tried everything I can think of.  We are running a client/server environment with the database on the server and the client running on my computer.  I have tried to save to an external drive, he server drive where the database is located, and my C drive.  All have failed.  All I get is a small tmp file no matter where I have tried to save the scheduled backup.  When I run the backup manually, I can save the backup file wherever I want.  I have saved my windows password as requested and verified that it is correct.  Very strange.

We are running Windows 7 Pro on the desktop and Windows Server 2016 on the server.

Thanks for any advice anyone may have.

Experienced Member

Well I have tried everything to no avail.  We are running a client/server environment with the database on the server and the desktop running the actual QB Premier application.  I have tried to schedule a backup to an external drive, to the same drive where the database is housed and to my C drive.  In every case, all I get is a small tmp file but no backup file.  We run Windows 7 Pro on the desktop and Windows Server 2016 on the server.  I can run a manual backup with no problem and save the backup file anywhere I want.  The problem is only with running scheduled backups.  I have saved my Window PW as requested and verified that it is correct.

Any thought or suggestions form anyone out there would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks

QuickBooks Team

Thank you for the response, @cvogeley.

I appreciate the steps you've tried in running the scheduled backup.

Let me route you to the right support that can help verify if you can do a scheduled backup to an external drive in QuickBooks Premier. Our Desktop Care Support can access your account in a secure environment to further check the issue. They have helpful tools that can further isolate your problem in running the backup and provide the necessary troubleshooting steps to get this resolved.

Here's how to get their contact information:

1. Go to: https://help.quickbooks.intuit.com/en_US/contact.
  2. Choose your QuickBooks Product.
  3. Select your QuickBooks Version.
  4. On the Contact Us page, click a topic.
  5. Click on the Get Phone Number button to see the support number.

Keep me posted how it goes. You can always drop by again in the Community if you have other questions. Have a great weekend.

Established Member

I am experiencing the same problem. We have 2 company files and both are having the issue. QB tech support tried helping and suggested running the Verify option to check the file. Ran on one of the files and found no problems and still will not back up. Only starts a tmp file. I have set time so I can actually watch the backup which runs, creates the tmp file and that's it. Whole process took about 5 seconds. We went from QB Enterprise 2016 to 2019. Have no issues running manually. This appears to have something to do with the 2019 Version. 

QuickBooks Team

Hello there, @DennyB.

Allow me to step in and provide some information about the temporary file.

When running a backup file automatically, it'll always create a temporary file. To complete the process, you'll just need to wait until the temporary file will be converted into QBBackupTemp folder.

The purpose of the QBBackupTemp folder is to hold an area for QuickBooks file components during the QuickBooks Backup (.QBB) file preparation process. Once the backup is completed, this temporary folder should get deleted automatically.

For more information about running backup files, you can read these articles for your reference:

Feel free to leave a comment below if you have any other questions about backup files. I'll be happy to help you out.

Established Member

That is not the case, I have it set for back up every night and I end up with nothing but temp files about 3kb for each night. Happening on both of our company QB files.  Manual backups work smoothly to the same folder with no tmp files left. It appears to be an issue with 2019 version. Never had an issues with 2016. 

QuickBooks Team

I appreciate you getting back to us in the Community, @DennyB.

Allow me to step in and share some update about the issue you're having when scheduling backup copy in QuickBooks Desktop (QBDT).

I’ve checked this on our end and found out that it is reported as an ongoing issue (INV-24197). We've escalated this to our engineers, and are diligently working for a resolution.

While we don't have a definite timeline for when this will be resolved, I highly suggest contacting our Phone Support team so they can add you on our list of affected users. You'll receive an email notification once we have an update and I'll surely get back to this post as well. You can check out this article for the detailed steps on how to reach them: Contact the QuickBooks Desktop Customer Support Team.

Thanks for your understanding and patience while we look into this. Please post again should you have any other questions. I'll be here to answer them. Take care!

Any update on a fix for this INV-24197? This is a serious problem.

Darin

QuickBooks Team

Hi, dflannes.

Allow me to share some updates about the scheduled local backup issues in QuickBooks Desktop.

For now, the most recent update that I have is that our Engineering Team is actively working to determine why the scheduled local backup isn't working. We are still investigating this unexpected behavior.

In case you’re not yet added to the list of affected users, I'd suggest reaching out to our QuickBooks Desktop Support so they can get your account information. Any progress will be communicated via email.

To reach us, please follow these steps:

1. Within your QuickBooks Desktop, click Help at the top menu bar.
  2. Click Contact us.
  3. To route you to the correct support expert, we need to know what type of question you have. Give a brief description of your issue and click Continue.
  4. We’ll provide you a few options. You choose which one is best for you

In the meantime, you can manually create a backup copy of your company file. You can get more details in this article: Create a backup of your company file.

Please extend your patience while we're working for the permanent fix. Don't hesitate to drop me a line if you have other concerns about creating a local backup in QuickBooks Desktop. Have a good one.