cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Established Member
Solved

Service Item report

As a construction company, we must track our time with each service item, for worker's compensation purposes.  For example, if some of our guys work part of a day doing excavation, then the other part of the day doing concrete, these are two different service items.  I cannot seem to find a report that show the service items, along with the hours applied to each and the pay that each employee received from these hours.  

Thank you.

MN

Best answer 02-22-2019 11:26 AM

Accepted Solutions
Established Community Backer ***

Re: Service Item report

This takes some setup and use of Functions: "For example, if some of our guys work part of a day doing excavation, then the other part of the day doing concrete, these are two different service items."

You start with Time Entries = the single activity or weekly view for Timesheets. You set the Preferences to Job Track Per Earnings Item, so that you can Reiterate the Pay item, Job tracking that task. You also set the Employee Default to Pay From Time Data, so that you see the two columns next to each other. For any one task line, you see Payroll item and Service item available, such as:

Service item Excavation, payroll item Hourly Rate, Smith project, 3 hours, Billable (as a direct time and costs project)

Service item Concrete, payroll item Hourly Rate, Jone project, 2 hours, Not Billable (as a Fixed Bid contract job)

And Paychecks get that data from the timesheet details, which is the Purchase event, and now you have Cost data.

"I cannot seem to find a report that show the service items, along with the hours applied to each"

That offers you Timesheet reporting, such as Time by Name by Job by Item, or Time by Item Summary or Time by Item by Job, or Time by Item by Name by Job (there are a lot of permutations).

"and the pay that each employee received from these hours."

Until that paydate, you can run the Excel report that projects Job Costs based on the payroll item and employee setup.

Please see my attachment and follow the Like Colors.

The cost projection report is attached.

Attached is timesheet example.

10 Comments

This takes some setup and use of Functions: "For example, if some of our guys work part of a day doing excavation, then the other part of the day doing concrete, these are two different service items."

You start with Time Entries = the single activity or weekly view for Timesheets. You set the Preferences to Job Track Per Earnings Item, so that you can Reiterate the Pay item, Job tracking that task. You also set the Employee Default to Pay From Time Data, so that you see the two columns next to each other. For any one task line, you see Payroll item and Service item available, such as:

Service item Excavation, payroll item Hourly Rate, Smith project, 3 hours, Billable (as a direct time and costs project)

Service item Concrete, payroll item Hourly Rate, Jone project, 2 hours, Not Billable (as a Fixed Bid contract job)

And Paychecks get that data from the timesheet details, which is the Purchase event, and now you have Cost data.

"I cannot seem to find a report that show the service items, along with the hours applied to each"

That offers you Timesheet reporting, such as Time by Name by Job by Item, or Time by Item Summary or Time by Item by Job, or Time by Item by Name by Job (there are a lot of permutations).

"and the pay that each employee received from these hours."

Until that paydate, you can run the Excel report that projects Job Costs based on the payroll item and employee setup.

Please see my attachment and follow the Like Colors.

The cost projection report is attached.

Attached is timesheet example.

Established Member

Thank you for all your help!  It also helps that I upgraded to the Quickbooks Enterprise version.  I appreciate your response! 

@MaryLouNewell 

Whew, this is Expensive: "It also helps that I upgraded to the Quickbooks Enterprise"

Because everything here is part of QB Pro, too, and that costs about $150.

Experienced Member

Does using the Service Item in the Timesheet do anything functionally other than help in reporting.    Is there any impact on the P&L based on the accounts that the Service Item points to?  If I want to point Job-related hours to a specific Job COGS account vs. Payroll, is my only option to create a Payroll Item to do it?

QuickBooks Team

Hello, TimBaker.

Timesheets are non-posting transactions and won’t impact your Profit and Loss. You’ll need import the data to a bill, invoice or paycheck.

If these job-related hours are worked by an employee, then you’ll need to create a payroll item.  However, if they were worked by a vendor, then you can import the time data to a bill or invoice.

For further information about this process, please refer to this article: https://quickbooks.intuit.com/community/Help-Articles/Tracking-job-costs-in-QuickBooks-Desktop/m-p/2....

Please visit us again if you have other questions about QuickBooks.

Experienced Member

Thanks, I will create a payroll item then to map the payroll $$ to the Job COGS.  The Service Item in the Time Sheet seems only to serve for reporting then.  

Experienced Member

Here are my final observations and I want to be sure this captures everything and would appreciate your thoughts:

1. If I assign jobs on the timesheet, the payroll expenses for the employee will show up on the Job Profitability reports when I run payroll based on the hours worked on that job/total hours recorded for the employee over the pay period.   This happens even when the hours are not billable.  This includes any payroll item I have checked "Track Expenses by Job", in addition to Salary/Wage items.
  2. The Service Item in the timesheet only functionally helps when you are creating an invoice for the billable time by populating the Service item at Invoice generation.  There is no automatic mapping of any payroll expense to the underlining expense account of the Service item, that is a function of the Cost amount that is input when setting up the Service Item.
  3. Any chart of account mapping of payroll expenses must be done when setting up the payroll item.  If I want the payroll expense of an employee working on a job to be mapped to a Job Labor COGS account, I must set up a payroll item to do so, select it in the timesheet, and run payroll.

Is that all correct and am I missing any other setup/functionality item when working with timesheets?

Thanks,

Tim

QuickBooks Team

You're on the right track, @TimJBaker.

Let me provide you with additional information on how service item works in QuickBooks Desktop.

Service Items are used to include charges for labor or professional fees that your firm buys or sells. When added as a line item in your invoice, it will reflect as Income in your Accounts Receivables. While payroll item reflects in your COGS account.

On the other hand, you're correct in saying that mapping the expense and income account associated to your payroll and service items needs to be done when you set  up each items. So you'll be guided properly in mapping your accounts accurately, I'd recommend contacting your Accountant.

For more insights, you may check these articles:

Feel free to click the Reply button if you have other questions about using the service item in QuickBooks. I'm always here to help.