cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Explorer **
Solved

Tariffs and Steel Sur-Charges

We have recently been getting invoices with either tariff or steel sur-charges on them and would like to know how to pass those charges on to our customers.

Steel Sur-charges I believe are treated the same as Materlal and so sales tax is charge.

Tariffs I'm not sure on how to pass those cost onto our customers.

Best answer 06-10-2019

Accepted Solutions
QuickBooks Team

Re: Tariffs and Steel Sur-Charges

Thanks for checking in with us, leakpetroleumequ.

You've got me here today to share some steps in passing the tariff to your customers via the QuickBooks Desktop.

You can create another item for the tariff and add that item when creating invoices for your customers.

Here's how:

1. Click Lists at the top menu bar and choose Item List.
  2. Create New, or press and hold CTRL+N to create new.
  3. Choose Other Charge for the Item Type.
  4. Enter the Item Name.
  5. Enter the Amount and choose an Account.
  6. Hit OK.

You'll see some screenshots outlining the steps above.

z.PNGx.PNGc.PNGv.PNG

That way, the tariff will add up to your customer's invoice total. Check out this article to know more about items in QuickBooks Desktop: Add, edit, and delete items.

That's it! I wish you continued success with your business. Please let me know if you have any other questions about customers and invoices.

QuickBooks Team

Hi there, leakpetroleumequ.

I appreciate you for getting back to us here in the Community. I'm here to assist you with regards to setting up the Other Charge item in QuickBooks Desktop.

For that specific question, I recommend seeking expert advice from an accountant to ensure you select the right option. Please also know that the decision to make it taxable or not will vary on the situation.

In case you also need help in the future, I'm adding the support link on how you can contact Support Team in the future:

Contact the QuickBooks Desktop Customer Support Team.

Please don't hesitate to come here with all of your QuickBooks needs, such as creating items. The Community is always up to lend a hand.

3 Comments
QuickBooks Team

Thanks for checking in with us, leakpetroleumequ.

You've got me here today to share some steps in passing the tariff to your customers via the QuickBooks Desktop.

You can create another item for the tariff and add that item when creating invoices for your customers.

Here's how:

1. Click Lists at the top menu bar and choose Item List.
  2. Create New, or press and hold CTRL+N to create new.
  3. Choose Other Charge for the Item Type.
  4. Enter the Item Name.
  5. Enter the Amount and choose an Account.
  6. Hit OK.

You'll see some screenshots outlining the steps above.

z.PNGx.PNGc.PNGv.PNG

That way, the tariff will add up to your customer's invoice total. Check out this article to know more about items in QuickBooks Desktop: Add, edit, and delete items.

That's it! I wish you continued success with your business. Please let me know if you have any other questions about customers and invoices.

Community Explorer **

Would you happen to know if we would make the "other charge" tax or non-tax? 

QuickBooks Team

Hi there, leakpetroleumequ.

I appreciate you for getting back to us here in the Community. I'm here to assist you with regards to setting up the Other Charge item in QuickBooks Desktop.

For that specific question, I recommend seeking expert advice from an accountant to ensure you select the right option. Please also know that the decision to make it taxable or not will vary on the situation.

In case you also need help in the future, I'm adding the support link on how you can contact Support Team in the future:

Contact the QuickBooks Desktop Customer Support Team.

Please don't hesitate to come here with all of your QuickBooks needs, such as creating items. The Community is always up to lend a hand.