cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jjm10
Level 1

The min quantity must be less than the max quantity in Quickbooks Pro 2017. How do I set the max field?

Solved
Best answer December 12, 2018

Best Answers
JanyRoseB
QuickBooks Team

The min quantity must be less than the max quantity in Quickbooks Pro 2017. How do I set the max field?

Hi there, jjm10.

Good to see you here in QuickBooks Community. It's my priority to guide you on how to set the maximum field in QuickBooks Desktop. 

Are you trying to adjust the Max Quantity box for your inventory item? If so, there are two options on how to do this in QuickBooks. First, you can make the adjustment in the Inventory Information

Second option, you can visit the Add/Edit Multiple List Entries. Let me walk you through the process: 

1. Go to List at the top menu bar, then select Add/Edit Multiple List Entries.
  2. Choose Inventory Parts from the List drop-down.
  3. Click the Customize Columns tab.
  4. Highlight Max in the Available Columns options and click Add.
  5. Click Ok
  6. Once done, you can manually change the amount on the Max column.

For additional reference you can check this article: Create, build, and work with inventory assembly items.

If you need further assistance with the steps, you can contact our QuickBooks Desktop Support Team. They have additional tools to pull up your account in a secure environment and do a remote session. 

Here's how you can contact our support: 

1. Click this link: https://quickbooks.intuit.com/community/Getting-Started/Contact-QuickBooks-Desktop-support/m-p/18603....
  2. Select the version of QuickBooks, click Contact Us.
  3. Type-in Technical Support on the search bar.
  4. Click Get the Phone number below.

This will get you on the right track! Don't hesitate to leave a comment below if you have any other questions about inventory. I'm always here to help you out. 

View solution in original post

15 Comments 15
JanyRoseB
QuickBooks Team

Hi there, jjm10.

Good to see you here in QuickBooks Community. It's my priority to guide you on how to set the maximum field in QuickBooks Desktop. 

Are you trying to adjust the Max Quantity box for your inventory item? If so, there are two options on how to do this in QuickBooks. First, you can make the adjustment in the Inventory Information

Second option, you can visit the Add/Edit Multiple List Entries. Let me walk you through the process: 

1. Go to List at the top menu bar, then select Add/Edit Multiple List Entries.
  2. Choose Inventory Parts from the List drop-down.
  3. Click the Customize Columns tab.
  4. Highlight Max in the Available Columns options and click Add.
  5. Click Ok
  6. Once done, you can manually change the amount on the Max column.

For additional reference you can check this article: Create, build, and work with inventory assembly items.

If you need further assistance with the steps, you can contact our QuickBooks Desktop Support Team. They have additional tools to pull up your account in a secure environment and do a remote session. 

Here's how you can contact our support: 

1. Click this link: https://quickbooks.intuit.com/community/Getting-Started/Contact-QuickBooks-Desktop-support/m-p/18603....
  2. Select the version of QuickBooks, click Contact Us.
  3. Type-in Technical Support on the search bar.
  4. Click Get the Phone number below.

This will get you on the right track! Don't hesitate to leave a comment below if you have any other questions about inventory. I'm always here to help you out. 

Bill Lee
Level 1

Hello,

I am using Enterprise 21.0 and wanted to use the advanced import or multiple Add/Edit list entries to update MAX quantity but I am not able to find the "MAX" in the customized column or in the import mapping. I am having the same issue when importing the 'reorder point' which the min quantity must be less than the max quantity. I can't enter the max quantity one by one for thousands of items. Please advise.  

Bill Lee 1
Level 1

I am using Enterprise 21.0 and wanted to use the advanced import or multiple Add/Edit list entries to update MAX quantity but I am not able to find the "MAX" in the customized column or in the import mapping. I am having the same issue when importing the 'reorder point' which the min quantity must be less than the max quantity. I can't enter the max quantity one by one for thousands of items. Please advise.  

Jen_D

Thanks for posting here again, @Bill Lee 1,

Have you added this item already in QuickBooks? It looks like the quantity you're importing is more that what it set in the item.

You will need to edit the Max field on the Item List. See this:

For the complete process of the Advance Import, see this link: Import or export MS Excel files

Otherwise, you can use another option to import the data. Here's how:

1. Go to the File menu then Utilities.
  2. Pick Import then IIF Files.
  3. Use the Import it for me. I'll fix it later link at the bottom.
  4. Once done, press Import IIF.

Kindly update me on how it goes. I want to make sure you're able to update your items in QuickBooks. Have a good one!

Bill Lee 1
Level 1

Thanks Jen. I know I need to enter value to MAX field before I can set the reorder point qty but the problem is the Max column is neither in the "Add/Edit multiple list entries" nor in the mapping of the advanced import with formatted excel. 

I wanted to use Excel import to map and update the MAX column for all the inventory items or at least to use the "Add/Edit multiple list entries".

It is too much job to open every individual inventory item to enter the MAX field for thousands of items. Please advise where can I find that "MAX" column in the mapping of the advanced import and in the Add/Edit multiple list entries

Thank you for your help

ChristieAnn
QuickBooks Team

Hi there, Bill Lee 1.

Thank you for coming back here to QuickBooks Community to provide additional information regarding your concern about the inventory items.

Currently, there's no option to add the Max column when using Advanced import and in the Add/Edit multiple list page. For now, you can manually add or enter the Max details per item as mentioned by my colleague above.

I can see how necessary the said feature can help your business needs. For now, I suggest visiting our QuickBooks Firm of the Future blog to know about the latest news and updates from QuickBooks Desktop.

To see additional information on how importing CustomerVendorItems, and Chart of Accounts from an Excel spreadsheet works in QBDT, you can refer to this article: Import or export MS Excel files.

Please refer to this article to see steps on how you can use IIF files to import and export your lists and transactions to and from QuickBooks Desktop: Export, import, and edit IIF files.

Please know that I'm always around to help with any QuickBooks concern. Just get back to this page. Have a good one.

940alex
Level 3

I have the exact same need.

What's the case of having the "Reorder (Min)" field in the Advanced Import Mapping fields if the Max option isn't available.

In other words, why give the "Bulk" option for MIN, but require the MAX to be entered 1 by 1.

ciromangione
Level 1

how does quickbooks use the MAX field?

is it used in calculations or on forms or reports?

RenjolynC
QuickBooks Team

Thanks for chiming in on this thread, ciromangione.

I'd like to share some information about your concern. 

The Max field is used to track your reorder points for each inventory item. Setting up the maximum quantity allows QuickBooks to compute and suggest reorder quantities on the Stock Status report. 

You can read this article for more information about the reorder point: Set up Advanced Inventory.

Please let me know if you have any follow-up questions about the advance inventory or other concerns. I'll be around to provide details and steps to help you out. Take care and stay safe. 

LAG1
Level 1

Using Enterprise 22 - I've read all the instructions about setting the Max Point but,

#1 my QB does not show the Max field on the Edit Item window.  It show Global Reorder Pt but not MAX. 

if I try to enter or change the GRP here, I get the message that "The Min Qty must be less than the Max Qty"

Most of my MAX quantities are set at zero and I cannot change them.

#2  if I use the other methods to try to change them (Set Report Point- under Inventory Tab) it gives me a Site Max to enter but it's of no use with the Global Reorder Points.  I've tried Importing the Global Reorder Point but it skips the ones where the MAX is set to zero and Importing the MAX is not an available option .

How can I change the Global MAX setting, so that I can get my GLobal Reorder Points entered?  Why is it stuck on zero?

MariaSoledadG
QuickBooks Team

Let me guide you on how to adjust the Global Max Setting in QuickBooks, LAG1.

If you're trying to adjust the Max Quantity box for your inventory item, you can make the adjustment in the Inventory Information. I've attached screenshot for your guide:

You can also highlight the Max column so you can be able to add and change the column. Here's how: 

1. Go to List at the top menu bar, then select Add/Edit Multiple List Entries.
  2. Choose Inventory Parts from the List drop-down.
  3. Click the Customize Columns tab.
  4. Highlight Max in the Available Columns options and click Add.
  5. Click Ok

Please read this article for your guide: Track The Products You Manufacture. Additionally, you can import and export various lists and transaction types in QuickBooks. I've added this article for your reference: Import Or Export MS Excel Files.

Feel free to let me know if you have further questions about inventory. I'll be here to help.

LAG1
Level 1

As I explained in my post, the Max box that you have highlighted the 10 in yellow, this does not show up for me.  I’ve attached a screenshot.  When I do your other option in Lists, MAX is not an available Column to add. 

We have Multiple Inventory Sites and the Inventory Site Max works but the Global MAX is set to zero for some reason and is prohibiting me from changing it or entering a different Global Reorder Point.

MarsStephanieL
QuickBooks Team

Hi, LAG1@. Thank you for sharing more details with your concern, this will help me narrow down to the cause of this issue.

I can see that you've checked out the previous troubleshooting steps given by my colleagues. Since it's still not working, I'd recommend updating your QuickBooks Desktop to the latest release first.

Here's how:

1. Open QuickBooks Desktop and go to the Help menu.
  2. Select Update QuickBooks Desktop.
  3. Go to the Update Now tab. Tip: You can select the Reset Update checkbox to clear all previous update downloads.
  4. Click Get Updates to start the download.
  5. Once done, accept the option to install the new release.

Once done, you can try to check if the Max section of the inventory item is there, if there's still no option to enter the Max value I'd recommend running the QuickBooks Verify and Rebuild tool. This can help identify and repair data damage.

Here's how to Verify your data (original company file):

1. Go to the File menu at the top.
  2. Select Utilities, and then choose Verify Data.

verify data.png

If it detects an issue, you can Rebuild your file. Allow me to guide you how:

1. Go back to the File menu.
  2. Choose Utilities, and then select Rebuild Data.
  3. Select OK, and then follow the on-screen prompts to save a backup.
  4. Click OK when you see Rebuild has been completed.

To know more details about the process, please check out this article: Verify and Rebuild Data in QuickBooks Desktop

Please don't hesitate to share an update after following the process above. I'd be happy to help you further with any of your concerns. Take care!

LAG1
Level 1

I have done as you suggested above and it is still not showing.

I have Enterprise Retail 22.0 Release R3P

V32.0D R3 installed on 11/24/21

DivinaMercy_N

Thanks for getting back here, @LAG1. I can share additional steps to help you with your concern.

If you still can't see the Max box for the Reorder point, I'd suggest switching your QuickBooks Desktop (QBDT) Enterprise to another edition. Take note that this option is not available for the Retail version of QBDT. Let me show you how:

1. In your QBDT program, go to the Help menu.
  2. Next, choose Manage My License.
  3. Select Change to a Different Industry Edition.
  4. From the list, click the industry edition you wish to switch to.

For your reference about the process, please check out this article: Toggle to another QuickBooks edition. This also includes steps on how you can toggle the edition for QBDT Accountant. 

However, if the issue persists, I recommend reaching out to our Customer Care team. You can request a screen-sharing session so they can further check your set up.

In QBDT, you can run the Balance Sheet report to view accounts that are associated with an item.

If you have any other QuickBooks concerns, please post a reply below. I'd be happy to assist you once more. Have a great week ahead. 

Need to get in touch?

Contact us