cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Transfer quickbooks 2014 for Mac to another Mac

Can anyone offer advice on how to move a qb 2014 version for mac to another mac? This older version does not have the "transfer to another mac" feature. I read that it is possible to download my version from qb to another user provided I have the license info. Any ideas?

1 Comment
QuickBooks Team

Re: Transfer quickbooks 2014 for Mac to another Mac

Thanks for checking in with us, aliaraye.

I can help you transfer your QuickBooks for Mac 2014 to another mac. Let's get started.

Before downloading and using QuickBooks for Mac, it is important to know the necessary system requirements. This will ensure that QuickBooks is compatible with your setup and will help avoid problems when you start using the program.

• QuickBooks for Mac 2016 R5 or earlier- Mac OS 10.10.2 (Yosemite), Mac OS 10.11 (El Capitan)
  • QuickBooks for Mac 2016 R6 or later- macOS X v10.14 (Mojave), 10.13 (High Sierra), Mac OS 10.11 (El Capitan), and Mac OS X v10.12 (Sierra)
  • Intel processor, Core 2 Duo or higher
  • Multiuser Server: Intel Core 2 Duo or higher processor to run the server
  • 2 GB RAM (4 GB RAM recommended)

After that, you can follow the step-by-step process on how you can download and install your QuickBooks for Mac.

Here's how:

1. Prepare the installer. 
    • Download your QuickBooks Desktop Mac version
    • Or use the CD installer (if purchased from a retailer)
      Note: If you are trying to download the installer and are experiencing difficulties with the process, you may need to clear the browser’s cache and cookies or use a different browser.
  2. Start the installation.
    1. Close all running applications.
    2. Insert the QuickBooks CD into the CD-ROM or double-click the downloaded installer. The QuickBooks installation window opens automatically.
    3. Drag the QuickBooks icon to the Applications folder. The Applications folder opens automatically.
    4. Double-click the QuickBooks icon to open the application.

You can get more details in this article: Install and set up QuickBooks Mac Desktop.

Once done, you can create a backup copy of your company file and restore it into your other mac. See the steps below:

1. Double click the .dmg file. A new window opens the "Ghost" drive.
    Note: The "Ghost" drive displays the back up of your company file along with your attachments (if applicable).
    User-added image
  2. Drag the company file (with .qbXXXX extension) to the folder where you want to store the company file.
  3. Drag the Attached Documents Library folder (if applicable) to the same folder as the QuickBooks company file.
  4. Click the copy of the company file saved on the desired location or go to File > Open Company.

Here's a helpful article for your reference: Restore a backup (.dmg) in QuickBooks Mac.

If you'd like to go through this over the phone, you can call our dedicated team who will be happy to assist you. Our contact details can be found here along with our opening hours.

1. Go to: https://help.quickbooks.intuit.com/en_US/contact.
  2. Choose your QuickBooks Product.           
  3. Select your QuickBooks version.
  4. On the Contact Us page, click a topic.
  5. Click on the Get Phone Number button to see the support number.

Don't hesitate to drop a reply below if you have any other concerns about transferring QuickBooks Desktop for Mac. I'm here to help.