Highlighted
Experienced Member
Solved

Transferring files to a new computer- but lost the one time password

Best answer 4 weeks ago

Accepted Solutions
QuickBooks Team

Re: Transferring files to a new computer- but lost the one time password

Thanks for reaching out to us here in the Intuit Community, @baugh13.

Let's reset your one time password so you can transfer your file to the new computer.

You can click the Lost your one-time password link, then follow onscreen instructions to create a new password.

resetpassword.PNG

If you're still unable to create a new one, I suggest contacting our QuickBooks Desktop Technical Team to see if they can pull up the information for you.

For your guidance on how to move your company file to another computer, check out to this for your guidance: Move to or reinstall QuickBooks Desktop in another computer.

I've also added this article to learn more about updates in QuickBooks Desktop 2019: What's new in QuickBooks Desktop for Windows 2019.

Should you need assistance with the solution above, please let me know. I'd be glad to help you out.

QuickBooks Team

Hello baugh13,

You can install QuickBooks on your new computer and restore your back up file. This way, you won't be needing the one-time password. I'll help you with the steps.

To install, please refer to this article for the step-by-step instruction: Install QuickBooks Desktop.

Then, copy your backup file to your new computer using a flash drive or other external device.

Once done, you can open QuickBooks and restore your backup on your new computer. Here are the steps:

1. Click File. Then, Open or Restore Company.
  2. Click Restore a backup copy. Click Next.
  3. Click Local Backup. Then click Next.
  4. From the Look In drop-down, choose the location of the backup file.
  5. Click the backup file from the folder. The file name should appear as [Company Name].qbb.
  6. Click Open and then Next.
  7. From the Save in drop-down, choose the location where you want to save the restored file.
  8. In the File name field, type a new file name. Click Save.

Just make sure to enter your QuickBooks Admin password to completely restore your file. Please use the Automated password tool for QuickBooks Desktop to reset your QuickBooks Admin password.

You can read the details in this article: Restore a backup of your company file.

I've also added this handy article for future help: Move over any additional company files.

Reach out to us anytime if you have other concerns. We're always here to help.

4 Comments
QuickBooks Team

Thanks for reaching out to us here in the Intuit Community, @baugh13.

Let's reset your one time password so you can transfer your file to the new computer.

You can click the Lost your one-time password link, then follow onscreen instructions to create a new password.

resetpassword.PNG

If you're still unable to create a new one, I suggest contacting our QuickBooks Desktop Technical Team to see if they can pull up the information for you.

For your guidance on how to move your company file to another computer, check out to this for your guidance: Move to or reinstall QuickBooks Desktop in another computer.

I've also added this article to learn more about updates in QuickBooks Desktop 2019: What's new in QuickBooks Desktop for Windows 2019.

Should you need assistance with the solution above, please let me know. I'd be glad to help you out.

Experienced Member

Thank you for your help. Unfortunately I was unable to recover password without old computer.

Thank you 

Experienced Member

Thank you for your help, but unfortunately was unable to recover password without old computer. which is no longer available.  

QuickBooks Team

Hello baugh13,

You can install QuickBooks on your new computer and restore your back up file. This way, you won't be needing the one-time password. I'll help you with the steps.

To install, please refer to this article for the step-by-step instruction: Install QuickBooks Desktop.

Then, copy your backup file to your new computer using a flash drive or other external device.

Once done, you can open QuickBooks and restore your backup on your new computer. Here are the steps:

1. Click File. Then, Open or Restore Company.
  2. Click Restore a backup copy. Click Next.
  3. Click Local Backup. Then click Next.
  4. From the Look In drop-down, choose the location of the backup file.
  5. Click the backup file from the folder. The file name should appear as [Company Name].qbb.
  6. Click Open and then Next.
  7. From the Save in drop-down, choose the location where you want to save the restored file.
  8. In the File name field, type a new file name. Click Save.

Just make sure to enter your QuickBooks Admin password to completely restore your file. Please use the Automated password tool for QuickBooks Desktop to reset your QuickBooks Admin password.

You can read the details in this article: Restore a backup of your company file.

I've also added this handy article for future help: Move over any additional company files.

Reach out to us anytime if you have other concerns. We're always here to help.