cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anh5050
Level 2

Unapplied Bill Payment Check

In accounts payable, how do I clear an old unapplied bill payment (check) that was printed on October 2018 and has already been reconciled? When the check was printed, a bill was not created to zero out the check. Thank you!

Solved
Best answer March 18, 2019

Best Answers
Angelyn_T
QuickBooks Team

Hi there, @Anh5050.

Thank you for posting here in the Community. I'm here to help you clear out the unapplied bill payment in QuickBooks Online (QBO).

If you have the open bills in QBO, you can link the bill payment (check) to those bill/s. If none, you really need to create a bill with the same amount of the payment created to clear out the amount.

To create a bill:

1. Go to the Plus (+) icon.
  2. Select Bill.
  3. Fill in the necessary information.
  4. Click Save and close.

Once done, open the bill and link the check created to the open bill:

1. Click on Expenses at the left pane.
  2. Select Expenses.
  3. Look for the bill created and click on Make payment under Action.
  4. Click Save and close.

a4 make payment.PNG

a4 link bill to check.PNG

After following these steps, the bill payment (check) should now be clear out.

Please let me know if you have any other questions about bills and bill payments. I'll be always here to help you!

View solution in original post

4 Comments 4
Angelyn_T
QuickBooks Team

Hi there, @Anh5050.

Thank you for posting here in the Community. I'm here to help you clear out the unapplied bill payment in QuickBooks Online (QBO).

If you have the open bills in QBO, you can link the bill payment (check) to those bill/s. If none, you really need to create a bill with the same amount of the payment created to clear out the amount.

To create a bill:

1. Go to the Plus (+) icon.
  2. Select Bill.
  3. Fill in the necessary information.
  4. Click Save and close.

Once done, open the bill and link the check created to the open bill:

1. Click on Expenses at the left pane.
  2. Select Expenses.
  3. Look for the bill created and click on Make payment under Action.
  4. Click Save and close.

a4 make payment.PNG

a4 link bill to check.PNG

After following these steps, the bill payment (check) should now be clear out.

Please let me know if you have any other questions about bills and bill payments. I'll be always here to help you!

Anh5050
Level 2

Thank you very much for your expertise, Angelyn_T. That makes sense. I have another question. Will this bill/expense entries in March 2019 cause an imbalance or change the total for October 2018 Balance Sheet/Chart of Accounts? If it does, I will need to fix it by entering an journal entry to make the adjustments?

MaryLandT

Good day, @Anh5050,

Allow me to join this thread and clarify this for you.

There isn't a need to make an adjustment for your entries since the payment doesn't affect your 2018 Balance Sheet.  The payment of your bill dated October 2018 is posted this year.

You can always check your Accounts Payable on your Balance Sheet report for your bills before and after making a payment. 

To learn more about making and paying bills, please check out to this: How to enter and pay bills.

Don't hesitate to post again if you have a follow-up question. We're always around here in the Intuit Community whenever you need help. Have a great day ahead!

Anh5050
Level 2

Good day to you too @MaryLandT. I appreciate your quick response and the valuable information. Thank you very much. Enjoy the rest of your day as well!

Need to get in touch?

Contact us