cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Cathypvc
Level 1

accidently deleted a deposit already reconciled

I accidently deleted one deposit on Sep and didn't notice untill I am trying to do the bank reconcile this month then found the beginning balance doesn't match my bank statement, how I fix it ? do I need to undo all previouse reconcile and enter the deposit again in Sep then redo the reconcile?

5 Comments 5
Charies_M

Hello there, Cathypvc.

I appreciate you coming in to us for support. I can help you reconcile your account in QuickBooks Desktop.

Good news. If you have deposits that were accidentally deleted and you're trying to reconcile it, running a mini reconciliation in QuickBooks Desktop will definitely resolve your issue with reconciliation.

Depending on your situation, there are two methods to complete this process. For the first method, you can use an off-cycle reconciliation date and make sure you know the ending balance from the most recent reconciliation.

Otherwise, you can use the second method where it uses a date other than the most recent reconciliation and does not require that you know the ending balance from the previous reconciliation.

To learn more about the detailed steps for each method, you can check out this article: Reconcile previously deleted and re-entered checking or credit card transactions.

That's it. Please let me know if you need anything else or questions about this. I'm always here to help.

PL9
Level 1

Hello, I accidentally deleted an already-reconciled deposit of $129.00 that posted in 2019.  I recreated the deposit and put a checkmark next to it, but when I attempt a reconciliation for this month, my beginning balance is $129.00 less than the previous balance.  I cannot figure out how to correct this.  Thank you.

Angelyn_T
QuickBooks Team

Welcome and thank you for joining the thread, @PL9.

This happens when the deposit you've recreated was dated in the current month. To correct the balance, update the date of the deposit to 2019 since it was posted in that year. 

Here's how:

1. Tap on Chart of Accounts from the Lists menu so you can open the register.
  2. Look for the bank account to where you've deposited the amount, then double-click on it to open.
  3. Update the date of the deposit to 2019 under the Date column, then select Record to save the changes.

Once completed, your current reconciliation balance will now match to the previous one.

For additional reference about reconciling accounts in QuickBooks Desktop, check out these articles:

Reach out to me if you have any other QuickBooks or reconciliation questions. I'm a post away to help. Have a good day!

PL9
Level 1

Hello, I deleted the deposit in mid-January 2020.  Deposit was originally recorded (and reconciled) in April, 2019.  When I recreated the deposit I dated it the same date as when it was first recorded (April 2019).  Yet when I try to do the January 2020 reconciliation, I'm missing this deposited amount in my beginning balance.  My bank balance has this deposit, whereas QuickBooks does not.  Thank you for your help.  

KlentB

I can definitely help you with this, PL9.

You've done a good work on recreating the deposit. This is the first step to do when we accidentally deleted a reconciled transaction. Aside from recreating it, we also need to manually mark that particular transaction as reconciled so that you'll not be missing it in your beginning balance. I'll guide you how:

1. Log into your company file.
  2. Select Lists from the top menu bar.
  3. Choose Chart of Accounts.
  4. Select the appropriate bank account.
  5. Locate the bank deposit.
  6. Double-click the column (between PAYMENT and DEPOSIT column) to put a checkmark on it.
  7. The checkmark on the transaction indicates that it's already reconciled.
  8. Hit Yes to confirm the changes.

Here's an article that will guide you in reconciling your accounts for the month of January: Learn the reconcile workflow in QuickBooks.

Check out this article about running the previous reconciliation report so you can review your past reconciliations.

Don't hesitate to come back to this thread if you need additional assistance in reconciling your accounts. I'll be right here to help you further.

Need to get in touch?

Contact us