cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ctwichell
Level 1

backing up

I am unable to back up my Quickbooks for Mac onto the company files on my desktop. The files back up ONLY onto the external hard drive. When I reopen my QB, the company files are gone. This has been happening for about 6 months, (It used to back up and save both places.)

Any idea how to fix this problem? Many thanks,

Cary

6 Comments 6
PreciousB

backing up

Hi ctwichell,

I can help make sure you can create a backup copy on your main local drive.

This unexpected behavior might be caused by a minor data issue. Let's run the verify/rebuild data utility to detect and resolve any potential issues in your QuickBooks for Mac.

Here's how:

To Verify:

1. Click File at the top menu.
  2. Go to Utilities then select Verify.

To Rebuild:

1. Click File at the top menu.
  2. Go to Utilities then select Rebuild.

Once done, please try saving a backup copy on your main local drive.

Please give this a try and let me know if you have any further questions. I'm here to help!  ​

SkinnyRaven
Level 8

backing up

Confirm the preferences you have set for backups.

IntuitBrooks
Level 9

backing up

Yep - QuickBooks->Preferences and click on Backup.  You'll see the location set there. Make sure it is going where you think it should.  Desktop isn't a particularly good choice for backups.  Ideally you'll want your iCloudDrive folder. That way your backup is also copied to Apple's servers - safe in case your hard drive crashes or your machine is lost, etc. 

Another possibility is your hard drive is full. 

ctwichell
Level 1

backing up

Thank you!

ctwichell
Level 1

backing up

Thank you so much for your help. I am still stuck. I tried what you suggested; unfortunately the check found no errors, and running the repair didn't help.

I use the desktop for Mac version (not the online version). The bookkeeper is the one who works on the QB (I never touch it except to send files off at tax time). When I open the QB program, the only version of the company I can find is from 2015. I can't seem to open any of the files on My Passport, where all the backups are supposed to be stored. They seem to be formatted for the QB server and won't open. Supposedly the bookkeeper also saved the files on my computer but none of those will open either. Arghh! I am unable to open QB "preferences" (it is grayed out) to see where the heck else files might be. I am hoping there is some way to find and restore these files. Thanks!

Anonymous
Not applicable

backing up

Greetings, @ctwichell,

Thanks for joining the discussion and for letting us know how the troubleshooting went for you.

The recommended steps provided by @PreciousB, @SkinnyRaven and @IntuitBrooks should help you rectify the backup issue. Since following the suggestions still give you the same problem, it's best to get in touch with our QuickBooks Mac Care Support.

There they can help you resolve the issue in a secure environment. They can also do a screen sharing session to help isolate what causing this odd behavior in QuickBooks.

Here's how you can get them:

1. Open this link: https://help.quickbooks.intuit.com/en_US/contact.
  2. Choose QuickBooks Mac Desktop.
  3. Click on the Company File menu.
  4. Scroll-down and click either Get Phone Number.

That should point you on the right track, @ctwichell. Let me know how it goes. I want to ensure you're all taken care of. Have a good one!

Need to get in touch?

Contact us