golftax
Level 1

error code (-6176,0)

11 Comments 11
BettyJaneB
QuickBooks Team

error code (-6176,0)

Hey there, @golftax.

Helping you to get past the error code (-6176,0) that you received is my priority. Let's get this sorted out.

The possible cause why Error -6176,0 occurs when opening a company file is when the firewall is blocking the connection between the two computers. To help us resolve the issue, make sure that your QuickBooks is updated to the latest release

Also, I'd suggest performing the QuickBooks File Doctor which can help fix a damaged company file or network. Here's a great article that you can check out to guide you with the entire process: QuickBooks File Doctor.

If the issue persists after trying these steps, you can refer to this article about fixing error 6000 in QuickBooks for more troubleshooting steps: Resolve Error -6000.

However, if the problem continues, I'd suggest reaching out to our Customer Care Team. They have an extra tool like screen-sharing that can help verify what's causing the issue. 

That should do it!

Please let me know how it goes or if you have any other questions about the error code (-6176,0) by leaving a reply below. I'm always here to help. Have a nice day!

JNN
Level 1

error code (-6176,0)

Hi Betty Jane,

I am running QuickBooks Premier Edition 2015 for windows from inside of a VirtualBox. The VirtualBox is installed on a Mac Book-Pro. The macOS Catalina (version 10.15.2) is the OS for the Host. Windows 10, 64Bits is installed as a Guest OS on the VirtualBox. My QuickBooks company file is located on the Mac. I want to keep it on the mac, so, I can do the backups using time machine. I have created Shared Folders inside the VirtualBox to be able to be accessed by Window 10. All that works fine. I am able to map any mac folder including the folder where the QuickBooks company file is located, to a drive in the Guest OS (windows 10). Whenever I reboot the Guest OS (Windows 10) and launch QuickBooks from my windows OS, I am able to access the QuickBooks Company file which is located on the mac. But if I exit QuickBooks, and then try to access the same company file again, I am NOT able to. It generates an error message as follows:

We are sorry QuickBooks couldn't open your company file

We'll try to fix the problem. Click Start to begin.

If the problem continues, contact support for assistance and report error codes: (-6176, 0)

I have gone through the fixing process and the fix doctor goes through its routine. It says there is nothing wrong with your company file. May be the firewall is blocking your access to the file. There is no firewall. I am able to open the company file only once after each Windows 10 reboot. Also, when I move this file to the local directory from mac to windows that is running on the VirtualBox, no issues.

I have read many of articles regarding this error and no workable answer. I would very much appreciate your help on this issue. 

Cheers,

JNN (  [email address removed])

KhimG
QuickBooks Team

error code (-6176,0)

Allow me to chime in and share some information on why you encounter errors accessing the file, @JNN.

Aside from the factors my colleague mentioned, the system requirements and QuickBooks version may also affect its performance. Desktop Premier 2015 is no longer supported, and installing it in a macOS Catalina can cause issues on the software.

It's important to remember that a certain product has requirements to work effectively. I recommend rolling back to the old operating system that is compatible with the program or upgrade to its latest version.

Here's a link where you can find more details about the product discontinuation: QuickBooks Desktop service discontinuation policy and upgrade information

If you also wish to upgrade, please check out our website for the updated pricing and features: https://quickbooks.intuit.com/desktop/.

I want to know if there's anything else you need. The Community is here for you. Take care!

JNN
Level 1

error code (-6176,0)

Hi KhimG,

Thank you for your reply. Just to share with you, I am using the same exact setup with Parallels as the VM (window 10 - 64Bits) running as a guest on a macOS Catalina as the host. So, there are not issues with QuickBooks Premium 15 running with macOS Catalina. The issue is when I run the same setup with VirtualBox as the VM. VirtualBox and QuickBooks for some reason are not talking correctly to one another (even though, each time I start Windows 10 inside the VirtualBox and then launch QuickBooks from Windows 10, it is able to access the company file which is located on the mac without any issues. It is the subsequent times, when I exit QuickBooks, I am not able to access the same exact company file which is located on the mac. It generates error code -6176.

Thank you in advance for your help in addressing this specific issue.

Cheers,

JNN.

MirriamM

error code (-6176,0)

Thanks for getting back and keeping us updated, JNN.

This time, to further investigate the root cause of this error, I recommend contacting our Customer Support Team as they have the tools like screen sharing to check your account. They will be able to examine your account and shine more light on the situation.

Here's how to contact the Customer Support Team:

1. Click Help.
  2. Choose QuickBooks Help.
  3. Click on Contact us link at the bottom.

In case you need tips in the future, visit our QuickBooks Help Articles site. 

I appreciate your patience while you wait to speak with a rep. I'll be here if you need anything else. Have a great day!

Ragini
Level 1

error code (-6176,0)

I am having multiple errors and can not access any books.  I would like to speak to a live person and have these run arounds trying to fix it and say go login and then click on help.  I can not even access the books without an error.

GraceC
QuickBooks Team

error code (-6176,0)

Thanks for joining this conversation, @Ragini.

Can you share with us what type of error you receive? Just to ensure I can give that we can give you the best assistance you'll need.

In the meantime, If you still want to speak with our QBDT Care Support regarding this issue. Let’s go to the Help menu of the company to access the contact details.

1. Go to the Help menu.
  2. Tap on QuickBooks Desktop Help at the bottom of the page.
  3. Write a short description of your concern on the search field or click on Contact us under the Have a Question? window.
  4. Under What can we help you with? section, type in more about your questions, then hit on the Search button.
  5. Click on Get Phone Number or Start a Message so you can connect with a representative.

Our support hours for QuickBooks Online is reduced to 6 AM-6 PM PT Monday-Friday. You'll want to check this article for more information: Support hours and types.

Let me know if you have any other concerns or questions. Simply click the Reply button and post a comment. I’ll pop right back in to assist further. Have a good one.

Fiat Lux - ASIA
Level 15

error code (-6176,0)

@Ragini 

3 options:

1. Run the Tool Hub

2. Contact Intuit Data Service to fix it

3. Purchase a 3rd party file repair service

Redroja
Level 1

error code (-6176,0)

I tried updating

carlos44
Level 1

error code (-6176,0)

this error code 6176,0 does not let me log in 

KlentB

error code (-6176,0)

I'll make sure that you can get rid of this error, carlos44

Error code -6176, 0 usually occurs when your Windows firewall blocks internet access for specific QuickBooks programs or files. To fix this, you'll have to manually set up your firewall and security settings.

Before diving in, please make sure to keep your software up-to-date so you always have the latest patches and fixes. Then, download QuickBooks Tool Hub and run QuickBooks File Doctor to fix any data damages and open your ports automatically.

Once done, follow the steps in this article to be guided in configuring your firewall settings: Set up firewall and security settings for QuickBooks Desktop.

However, if the error persists, I'd recommend performing the additional troubleshooting on this page: Resolve Error -6000, when opening a company file.

If you need some walkthroughs in using all our features or answers to frequently asked questions, you can visit our Help Article page.

Feel free to reach out to me again with any concerns you may have. The Community is always here for you.

Need to get in touch?

Contact us