cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

How do i enter a GST refund cheque?

16 Comments

Hello there Dindyal.boysie! The QuickBooks sales tax cent...

Hello there Dindyal.boysie!

The QuickBooks sales tax center in your account has a feature to record your GST refund. I'll go over the steps below, but message me here if you need any help as you go through those steps. 

1. First of all, open your sales tax center by clicking on the Taxes tab. 
  2. Make sure you're on the Sales Tax tab and Returns tab (see screenshot). 
  3. Find the relevant filing. 
  4. Click the option in the Action column (it should be Record Payment). 
  5. Select Refund and then fill in the refund information. 
  6. Click Save

Have a wonderful week and know that I'm always just a post away Smiley Happy

Not applicable

How do you change back to see the previous  year?  I can...

How do you change back to see the previous
 year?  I can only see this fiscal year and need to see last year to associated the return entry.

Did you run last year's sales tax reports/returns in your...

Did you run last year's sales tax reports/returns in your QuickBooks account? If so, when you click on the Taxes tab, those returns should be listed. If they aren't please give us a call at 1-855-253-1536.
Not applicable

I dont have a Taxes tab, I only have Sales Tax tab and Ma...

I dont have a Taxes tab, I only have Sales Tax tab and Manage Sales Tax tab. Under the Sales Tax tab I can't do any returns. Where do I go? Thx.

Re: Hello there Dindyal.boysie! The QuickBooks sales tax cent...

This doesn't work for QB desktop.  What is the proper process for QB Desktop?

That doesn't work for QB desktop.  What is the process for the desktop version?

QuickBooks Team

Hi there cbaker152,

I've got your back. As you've noticed, QuickBooks Online and QuickBooks Desktop work differently, so using Online instructions in your Desktop program just won't work. Here's how to record a sales tax refund in QuickBooks Desktop. There are a couple of options, I'll outline them both.

When you created the sales tax return to file, the program would have opened the Refund window if the calculation showed that you were owed money. From there, you have the option to Receive Now or Receive Later. The refund now option would have taken care of it right away.

If you clicked the receive later option, all you have to do is click Receive Payments from the Home window. This can also be accessed from the Customers menu in the top toolbar. Once in that window, simply choose the appropriate sales tax agency, enter the amount, and choose where you want the funds deposited.

To see all the detailed instructions for this process, go to Help in the top toolbar and choose QuickBooks Desktop Help. You can also us F1 as a shortcut. On the Help tab, click search and type sometime like "sales tax refund" to find what you need.

Let me know if you have more questions!

Experienced Member

Re: How do i enter a GST refund cheque?

I tried these steps and do not see a "Refund" option - has it changed with the new Sales tax center?  I am still on the old one.

QuickBooks Team

Hi there. I'll be happy to help you! Are you using QuickBooks Online or Desktop?

Experienced Member

QBO

QuickBooks Team

Thanks for confirming. I'll be happy to share the correct steps below. To start, open your sales tax center by clicking on the Taxes tab. 

1.     Make sure you're on the Sales Tax tab and Returns tab (see screenshot). 
  2.     Find the relevant filing. 
  3.     Click the option in the Action column (it should be Record Payment). 
  4.     Select Refund and then fill in the refund information. 
  5.     Click Save.  

Let me know how you make out. I'll be on stanby. Smiley Happy 

Experienced Member

Ya, sorry I don't see the refund option.  If I click on "Record Payment" it populates and window that allows for period, bank account, amount, etc.  But does not allow a negative payment, now do I see the "Refund" option you spoke of.

Actually it shows "Sales tax payments"  and sales tax owed and sales tax payment history sections....I don't see the "Sales Tax Returns", which obviously is the missing link???

QuickBooks Team

I want to make sure you're able to create a GST refund cheque. At this point, I recommend contacting our phone support team for further assistance. One of our agents will be able to share your screen and help figure out why you're unable to find the Refund option. The number to dial is 855-253-1536 and the hours of operation are Mon - Fri 9 AM - 8 PM EST and SAT 9 AM - 6 PM EST. Feel free to ask questions. 

Experienced Member

Ha!  I just realized when I typed this question in, it took me to "CA"  I am in the U.S.  perhaps my QBO is different.........

QuickBooks Team

That makes sense! The US version of QuickBooks is a bit different from the Canadian version. Don't worry, I'll steer you in the right direction. To get to the US Community Support Team, click on this link and type out any questions you have. Otherwise, I'll send this thread over to the US queue and a knowledgeable agent will be happy to share the right steps to take. Reach out if you need anything. 

Highlighted
QuickBooks Team

Hello there, @PT-phx.

I'd be glad to help share information and ways so you'll be able to record the sales tax refund in QuickBooks Online (QBO) US accordingly.

You can enter the refund as a deposit and select the liability accounts used when paying your taxes. Here's how:

1. Click on the Plus (+) icon.
  2. Select Deposit.
  3. Select the correct bank account at the top.
  4. Scroll down to Add funds to this deposit section.
  5. Add your state agency or from whom did you receive the refund under the Received From column.
  6. Under the Account column, select your liability account used when paying your sales tax.
  7. Enter the necessary information.
  8. Click on Save and close.

You can see attached screenshot for additional reference.

f4 1.PNG

For more information about bank deposits, you can also check this article: Record and Manage Bank Deposits in QuickBooks Online.

Stay posted if you have any other QuickBooks questions, I'll always be here to help you. Have a good day ahead!