Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Senior Explorer *
Solved

A few questions regarding the payment

payment method.PNG

I am new with the quickbook,

1 so I didn't know why I can't click the invoice check mark. 

Another two questions:

1 Payment Method is a Credit card, Do I have to record the card number in QuickBooks?

2 I normally "create an invoice" from the Home page, and once the payment receives afterward, do I need to create a sale receipt and then click receive payment from Icon. Or JUST CLICK "Receive payment from the certain invoice, and type all the payment method?

Best answer 4 weeks ago

Accepted Solutions
Established Community Backer ***

Re: A few questions regarding the payment

QBDT requires an amount entered in the payment amount box before you can select any of the corresponding invoices. That is how it works even though selecting by checkbox first would be most convenient in being able to tell a customer how much to pay. Maybe someday they will get it right but for now the solution I use is enter a dollar amount greater than the sum of the invoices you wish to receive payment for. Then after checking (and verifying amount being applied to each) the boxes - adjust the payment amount to match the sum of applied amounts.

Yo udo NOT have to record the cc number in QB unless you are using the program to actually charge the cc (through the QB GoPayment add-on) HOWEVER, if you do engter customer cc numbers in QB you will absolutely have to change your complicated password every 90 days -more than enough reason to not store cc numbers, in my book

Sales receipts are for when payment and service coincide. Invoices are for payments yet to come. You cannot apply a Receive Payment to a Sales Receipt as the Sales Receipt itself is considered paid in full when you save it. 

You can "Receive" payments from multiple areas within QBDT, the home page, Customer drop down tab (Receive Payment option) or even from the invoice being opened for view - there is a Receive Payment radio button on the invoice view.

8 Comments
BRC

The payment amount is 0.00, and so you have nothing to apply.  So, you can't apply an amount, as the message says.

Enter the payment amount first, then apply it.

No, you don't have to enter the CC number in QB.  Or the check number, or any other number on the payment (except the amount.)

Don't create an invoice and a sales receipt for the same sale, or you'll double the income and the sales amounts and leave the invoice unpaid.  When you receive a payment, enter a payment.

QBDT requires an amount entered in the payment amount box before you can select any of the corresponding invoices. That is how it works even though selecting by checkbox first would be most convenient in being able to tell a customer how much to pay. Maybe someday they will get it right but for now the solution I use is enter a dollar amount greater than the sum of the invoices you wish to receive payment for. Then after checking (and verifying amount being applied to each) the boxes - adjust the payment amount to match the sum of applied amounts.

Yo udo NOT have to record the cc number in QB unless you are using the program to actually charge the cc (through the QB GoPayment add-on) HOWEVER, if you do engter customer cc numbers in QB you will absolutely have to change your complicated password every 90 days -more than enough reason to not store cc numbers, in my book

Sales receipts are for when payment and service coincide. Invoices are for payments yet to come. You cannot apply a Receive Payment to a Sales Receipt as the Sales Receipt itself is considered paid in full when you save it. 

You can "Receive" payments from multiple areas within QBDT, the home page, Customer drop down tab (Receive Payment option) or even from the invoice being opened for view - there is a Receive Payment radio button on the invoice view.

BRC

RE: "QBDT requires an amount entered in the payment amount box before you can select any of the corresponding invoices. That is how it works even though selecting by checkbox first would be most convenient in being able to tell a customer how much to pay."

When I read this in your post it occurred to me that this actually hasn't been my experience.

So, I played with it for a few minutes and figured out there is a preference for this:

Capture.JPG

If you enable "Automatically calculate payments" then you can leave the payment amount as 0.00 when you start entering one and then either check off invoices to pay or type in amounts directly on each invoice line and the total payment amount will update.

As you note, this does make QB much easier to use when entering payments in some cases, such as where the payment pays off the entire balance of one or more invoices.

Thank you Big Red. For the 20+ years I have been using this product there is always something new to learn. Now, @Desiree 869 can change her preferences if desired and use the check boxes

Senior Explorer *

Thank you for your information, very detail especially for me as a new user, very helpful. 

Senior Explorer *

thank you for your information, and very quick reply. now I know what to do it is right. 

Senior Explorer *

1.PNG

Do I need to select all?

Another question If payment is cheque, I need to write the reference number of this cheque?

what do I do If the cash, or store credit as the payment method, or sometimes it is part of store credit, and part of cash, cheque or credit card as payment?

QuickBooks Team

Hello Desiree 869,

Welcome to the Community. I'm here to assist you with any questions you may have concerning receiving payments in QuickBooks Desktop.

The options you choose for receiving customer payments depend on the process that you're following and what's convenient for you. If you want to default the deposit account for payments to Undeposited Funds, I recommend adding a check mark on the Preferences as well.

This account holds your funds temporarily until you're ready to deposit the payments into your original bank accounts. Please also note that once you enable it in Preferences, the option to choose deposit account will be unavailable.

To know more about how the Undeposited Funds account works, I'm attaching the article I recommend on this:

Understand how the Undeposited Funds account works.

For your question about recording a payment, if an invoice consists of two different payment methods, you can enter the amounts separately by entering the partial amounts into the Customer Payment screen.

You can also use the Check or Reference # field to track transactions easily in the system. Here are some screenshots for your visual guide:

3.JPG

Let me know if you have further questions about the customer payments. The Community will be sure to get back to you.