cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Contributor **
Solved

Can I turn off Quickbooks asking if I want to update a customer's information?

For example, if I change the payments terms on an invoice that is different than the default for that customer, I get a pop-up that asks if I want to change that info for all future and past transactions.  Is there a way to turn that off?  I want to be able to put in different info and not be asked that question (or similar ones for other items) each time.  Because if I accidentally hit "yes" it screws up my past invoices for that customer! 

Best answer 02-25-2019 03:44 PM

Accepted Solutions
Established Community Backer ***

Re: Can I turn off Quickbooks asking if I want to update a customer's information?

@Jen_D 

@JanyRoseB 

@Catherine_B 

Please Learn from this input.

@kristi720 

The function you asked for is in Edit menu > Preferences, General, the Company Preferences. There is a Box to Checkmark for "Never Update Name Information When Saving Transactions."

That allows you to enter something and not require that it be Saved back to the Customer Record.

11 Comments
QuickBooks Team

Re: Can I turn off Quickbooks asking if I want to update a customer's information?

Hi there, kristi720. 

The option to get rid of the prompt is currently not available. This is set to be a reminder that will help you identify that you made changes to your customer's payment terms. If you want that this will not apply to past and future transactions, you can hit No. 

Don't hesitate to comment below or post again if you have other concerns. 

Community Contributor **

This is something that should be available as an option in Company Preferences.  Do you realize the problems that occur in past occurrences if "Yes" is hit by mistake instead of No?  It makes no sense that it would change PAST transactions. 

QuickBooks Team

Hi there, kristi720.

Thanks for getting back to us. Allow me to help provide other option on how to turn off the warning message in QuickBooks Desktop. 

Here's how you can turn off the warning notification that appears when editing a transaction: 

1. At the top menu bar of your QuickBooks, click Edit.
  2. Select Preferences.
  3. Choose General.
  4. Click My Preferences
  5. Make sure to uncheck the Warn when editing a transaction box option. 
  6. Click OK to apply the changes. Capture.PNG

If you need further assistance with the steps from our live support, I recommend contacting our QuickBooks Desktop Support Team. They have the tools to pull up your account and do a remote session.

Here's how you can contact our live support:

1. Follow the Official Intuit Contact link.
  2. Select your QuickBooks product.
  3. Select an issue type from the menu below, you need only to select two options for the contact information to appear.
  4. Click Start a message at the bottom.

This will get you on the right track. Please know that I'm just a post away if you have any other questions about the warning notification. Have a good one. 

Community Contributor **

Thanks for the suggestion but that didn't solve the problem either.  

QuickBooks Team

Welcome back, @kristi720,

Allow me to step in and share additional information about this preference.

@Catherine_B is correct. The option to disable the general update alert when updating the information on your sales transaction that's different from the customer's profile is currently unavailable at the moment. Adding this preference to the program is a great idea so I'd recommend sending a product suggestion to our engineers. Doing this will let them know what features would help a business like yours run a little better, and they will consider that in a future update.

To send your request, follow these steps:

1. Click the Help menu bar.
  2. Scroll down to Send Feedback Online.
  3. Select Product Suggestion.
  4. Choose Product Suggestion for the Type of Feedback.
  5. Product Area is optional.
  6. Enter your suggestion.
  7. Click Send Feedback.

That should send your suggestion directly to our Development Team who considers feedback for QuickBooks enhancement. I've also forwarded this request to our engineers to reinforce your request.

Please feel free to reach out back to me if you need further assistance with QuickBooks. I'll be around to help whenever you needed me. All the best!

@kristi720 wrote:

For example, if I change the payments terms on an invoice that is different than the default for that customer, I get a pop-up that asks if I want to change that info for all future and past transactions.  Is there a way to turn that off?  I want to be able to put in different info and not be asked that question (or similar ones for other items) each time.  Because if I accidentally hit "yes" it screws up my past invoices for that customer! 

QBO does not even have the option to change the customer card if you change something on an invoice - I wish it did - just the customer card though, not previous invoices  - but there s/be a preference setting I agree

Community Contributor **

Malcom, I wish that it didn't apply to past transactions!  It can really cause problems.  I accidentally hit yes once and then all the past transactions showed that that one buyer bought them when that was definitely not the case.  It's not a good feature of the software.  

@Jen_D 

@JanyRoseB 

@Catherine_B 

Please Learn from this input.

@kristi720 

The function you asked for is in Edit menu > Preferences, General, the Company Preferences. There is a Box to Checkmark for "Never Update Name Information When Saving Transactions."

That allows you to enter something and not require that it be Saved back to the Customer Record.

This never changes existing transactions: "I accidentally hit yes once and then all the past transactions showed that that one buyer bought them"

But, for instance, if you were using Customer Type, you did change that name's settings.

Amazing.  Hard to believe that all 3 of the QB Team confidently provided blatantly incorrect information, with frills and fanfare.   

Community Contributor **

@qbteachmt Thank you SO much!  That did the trick!