cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Experienced Member

Can't apply payments to invoices due to closing date

I work for a company that closes out the month and once that month is closed, no transactions may be adjusted in any way, it is locked down. There are some payments that were posted as received by a temp, but were never applied to the open customer invoices. the entire payment is currently sitting on account as a credit. The aging report is a nightmare, since the customer did pay, but due to the month end closing, I cannot apply the payment to the open invoices as QB will not allow it. I thought I could create a journal entry to reverse the payment that is sitting on account, however even after doing that QB will still not allow me to apply the journal entry to the credit. How do I handle this?

1 Comment
QuickBooks Team

Re: Can't apply payments to invoices due to closing date

Hello there, @Guenevere.

Thank you for providing extra details. I can help you apply the payments to invoices due to the closing date.

You will have to adjust or remove the closing date to apply the payments to open invoices. I'll show you how:

1. Click Edit.
  2. Choose Preferences.
  3. Select Accounting.
  4. Go to the Company Preferences.
  5. Click Set Date/Password.
  6. Adjust or remove the closing date.
  7. Select OK to close the Set Closing Date and Password window.
  8. Select OK to close the Preferences window.

After that, let's close the open invoices:

1. Click Customers.
  2. Choose Receive Payments.
  3. Enter the customer name. 
  4. Select the invoices.
  5. Click Save and Close.

2.PNG

Once all payments are already linked to the invoices, you can set back the Closing Date. That should correct the reporting and get you going today, Guenevere.

Let me know if there's anything else you need or you have follow-up questions about applying payments. I'm still here to help you more. Wishing you all the best!