cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Super Explorer *

Can't deselect the online credit card and ACH payment options in the invoice template

Why does QBO offer check boxes for selecting credit card and ACH online payments in the invoice templates/payments settings, but when you uncheck them and save, they revert to selected status when reopening? I've read forums posts indicating the only way is to either disable all credit card payments entirely, or deselect these options on each invoice manually before sending. This is nuts!

I was shocked to have clients processing their invoices via credit card recently--costing me hundreds of dollars--when credit cards were previously deselected in all my emailed invoices. This seems like a really sleazy way for Intuit to make money on processing fees. I also see that Intuit has deleted much of the forum history on this matter. 

12 Comments
QuickBooks Team

Re: Can't deselect the online credit card and ACH payment options in the invoice template

Hello, audiobrad59.

Thank you for taking the time to post your concern here in the Community. I want to make sure you're able to deselect the online credit card and ACH payment options in the invoice template.

As an initial troubleshooting step, I recommend clearing the cache in your internet browser. The cache can become bogged down with older data from time to time, potentially causing performance errors within the system. This article will walk you through the process to reset the cache: https://quickbooks.intuit.com/community/Getting-Started/How-do-I-clear-my-browser-cache-and-temporar....

If the problem persists with the invoice template, you may need to call in to speak with support. This problem may be related to a known issue and an agent will be able to get you added to the list of affected companies. Once you've been added to the list, you'll receive email notifications regarding the resolution. The number to speak with an agent is 1-800-488-7330. The most up-to-date contact information can be found here: https://help.quickbooks.intuit.com/en_US/contact.

You'll be back to business in no time. Feel free to reach out to me if you have any other questions. Take care.

Super Explorer *

Re: Can't deselect the online credit card and ACH payment options in the invoice template

Clearing cache in Chrome and in the QBO app didn't help. Will contact tech support.

Experienced Member

Hi,  Did you have this resolved?  I am having the same issue.

QuickBooks Team

Hello there, @myB2Bpro,

Thanks for joining this thread. I'm here to guide you to the right support so you can get the help you need. 

Have you tried the troubleshooting steps provided by @MorganB? If the issue persists, I encourage you to get in touch with our Care Support Team. They will be able to create a new investigation for this issue and once it has been open, you’ll be receiving an email notification about the updates and progress. 

Here's how you can contact our phone support: 

1. Go to: Get help with QuickBooks Online.
  2. Click the contact us link. 
  3. Select the Search for something else, and type-in Customer Support.
  4. Click Search.
  5. Scroll-down and click Get Phone Number

Please know that you're always welcome to post if you have any other questions. We're always here to help. 

Community Contributor *

I've had this issue since I started my QBO account. I already tried calling customer service and they were not able to help me. There's no way to even turn it off altogether either. How infuriating!!

Hello there, @MJFC.

Thank you for reaching out to the Community space and providing feedback. I'm here to provide some insights about deselecting the online credit card and ACH payment on the Invoice window.

After setting up the Merchant Services account, automatically you can't uncheck or disable the credit card payments option unless you cancel or close your merchant account.

If you wish to cancel your account, you have to get in touch with our support. Please open the link below and go to the QuickBooks Payments support section to get their contact details.

QuickBooks merchant services or QuickBooks Online support - who should I contact for help? ​

That should help you turn off the online credit card option, MJFC. Feel free to reach out to me if you have additional questions, I'll be right here to help. Take care.

Super Explorer *

"After setting up the Merchant Services account, automatically you can't uncheck or disable the credit card payments option unless you cancel or close your merchant account."

That's just dumb, greedy, or both. Basically forcing the credit card payment option whether we want to offer it or not. As a business-to-business company, I only offer the credit card option to clients who are having trouble paying some other way.

HOWEVER...I did solve the problem for me.  Although all my clients email invoices defaulted to include the credit card and ACH payment options, I found that when I deselected it on just one invoice before sending, it seem to kill the default checkmarks on ALL invoice for ALL 
clients. No more unwanted credit card payments racking up fees for me and profits for Intuit! The payment boxes under company settings/sales/customize/template edit are still permanently checked. I'm so tired of these "team members" chiming in with uninformed and useless advice. Why does Intuit allow those boxes to be unchecked but won't save them that way? Why offer the check boxes at all??? The advice to discontinue your Merchant Account is a terrible option and wasn't necessary for me.

I find that the phone support people are honest and genuine, but they are kept in the dark and fed false information. I've worked with them probably 30-40 times over the last 8 years and they have always been great. But when I screen share with them and show them what's really going on, they are often surprised and share my disgust. They dutifully try to escalate the matter, but I never hear back. Only about 25% of the bugs I show them ever get fixed, and I've been doing workarounds for years. Intuit is horrible at transparency with customers and even their own support people about known issues. I assume they're "known" because I've sent tons of feedback and escalated numerous issues. They just ignore it and allocate their resources to rearranging icons and menus--simply window dressing to keep them looking "cool" (supposedly). Definitely some disconnects in upper management and tone-deaf prioritization of resources.

QuickBooks Team

Greetings, @audiobrad59,

I appreciate your time sharing this experience with us, and I’m grateful you stopped by the Community forum to allow us the opportunity to lend a helping hand. Allow me to join the conversation and share some insights about QuickBooks Payments.

When you sign up with our Payments service, it enables you to process both credit or debit card payments and ACH transfers. The checkbox is intended only if you'd like to disable a specific or several payment methods on the sales transaction. This action, however, does not turn off the payment preference under Custom Form Styles, Accounts and Settings, and other templates.

I can see how helpful this preference can be very helpful for you, so I'll be sending this request to our engineers, who consider feedback for future QuickBooks enhancements.

Please don’t hesitate to reach out back to me in the future if you have any additional questions or concerns. I'll be more than happy to assist you whenever you needed me.

Super Explorer *

"The checkbox is intended only if you'd like to disable a specific or several payment methods on the sales transaction. This action, however, does not turn off the payment preference under Custom Form Styles, Accounts and Settings, and other templates."

What doesn't make sense to me is how this is implemented. One would think that the check boxes in the template section would be a global default, and the checkboxes on each transaction would be specific to only that invoice. But in reality, the checkbox for the transaction IS global and affects all subsequent transactions. That's fine for me--I'm just glad it's off! Please don't make the checkboxes on each transaction specific only to the that transaction unless you also provide a global override--either in templates or elsewhere. Right now, the checkboxes in the template section are useless since they are controlled elsewhere. Though they are active and appear changeable, they are not. Very confusing and frustrating.

Thanks for passing on this issue.

Brad

Experienced Member

I initally found that on a new invoice screen, there was a blurb that says to select ACH or Credit/Debit card payments, but there were no checkboxes!  Intuit Customer Support said that this is because I selected HTML invoice delivery. Here's the process they gave me to change it to "Online Invoice" so those boxes will appear in the New Invoice screen. 

1. Click the gear icon.

2. Go to Account and Settings. Close the Company Profile overlay if it pops up.

3. Click Sales in the left-hand column.

4. Scroll down and click the pencil icon to the right of Online Delivery.

5. Under "Additional email options for invoices, change the drop-down to "Online Invoice".

6. Save. 

Once I did that, the options appeared on my new invoice screen. Now I'm hoping they stick like Audiobrad59 said (and thank you, Audiobrad59, for that tip!). 

Established Member

Funny - I came here hoping to find an answer for the opposite problem. I have a business application that pushes invoices to Quickbooks Online. However, when it pushes them to Quickbooks, all online payments are disabled. I was hoping to find out there's a global setting...too bad it doesn't work correctly.

I want to force-enable invoices to accept payments, unless one specifically has them disabled by me.

QuickBooks Team

Hello there, @tekstopaz.

The possible reason why all online payments are disabled is that your third-party application won't allow transferring online payment to QuickBooks. Let me route this concern to the best support group who can verify this further.

Since the invoices are coming from your business application which I believe is a third-party application, I encourage contacting their customer support. That way, you can confirm to them if they allow transferring online payments to QuickBooks Online.

Also, I recommend seeking help from our other Intuit forum called the Intuit Developer Forum. It's a place where you can ask help about integration and programming and get help from a number of programmers, developers and experienced users like you.

You might want to read these articles to learn about online payments: 

Please keep in touch with us here in the Community should you need any further assistance. We're always here to help.