cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Experienced Member

Capturing a payment from an old merchant account.

I recently opened a new merchant account, due to it being connected to a previous owner.  A new merchant account was set up, but I failed to capture, invoice, and apply the credits to them.  Since our new merchant account is now tied to our QB desktop, I can't  retrieve the 5 transactions I needed to record under our old merchant account. 

So my question, is there a way to create an invoice and manually apply a credit so it can be recorded?  I know the funds of those transactions are in our bank account.  But I need to have it captured, and apply the credit, so it shows up on our check register.

6 Comments
Highlighted
QuickBooks Team

Re: Capturing a payment from an old merchant account.

Hi there, @ozzie1.

Thanks for taking the time posting here in the Community. I'd be pleased to provide you with some details about entering transactions into QuickBooks Desktop from your previous merchant account.

To enter the details of the invoices and credits from your previous merchant account, you'll have the option to create an invoice and apply the credits manually. 

Let me guide you how:

1. Click on Customers at the top menu bar.
  2. Select on Create Invoices.
  3. From the Customer: Job drop-down, select a customer or customer job. If the customer or job is not on the list yet, you can select Add New.
  4. Fill in the relevant information at the top of the form like the Date Invoice #, Bill to/Sold to and Terms.
  5. In the detail area, select the item/s.
  6. Select Save & Close.

Once done, you can now record the payment and manually apply the credits.

To do that:

1. From the QuickBooks Customers menu, select Receive Payments.
  2. On the Received From drop-down, choose the customer’s name, then enter the Amount.
  3. Make sure the date is correct, then choose the Payment method.
  4. If the customer has available credits, you can use and apply this credit when processing the payment.
  5. Select Discounts and Credits
  6. Select the credit you want to apply.
  7. If you do not want to use the entire credit or if the credit amount is more than the customer balance, change the amount under the Amt to Use column.
  8. Select Done to record the credit.
  9. Select Save & Close.

For more details about this process, please check out these articles:

This should help you record your invoices in QuickBooks.

Please know that I'm just a reply away should you need anything about recording merchant transactions or anything concerning QuickBooks. I'll make sure to get back to you as soon as I can. Have a good one.

Experienced Member

Thank you for responding.  I proceeded to follow the steps you provided to manually enter the payment/credit.  After clicking on receive payments, and got to step 7.  I couldn't enter the option you instructed, which is Amt to Use.  So I couldn't manually apply the credits.

Any other ideas?

Experienced Member

Thank you for responding.  I proceeded to follow the steps you provided to manually enter the payment/credit.  After clicking on receive payments, and got to step 7.  I couldn't enter the option you instructed, which is Amt to Use.  So I couldn't manually apply the credits.

Any other ideas?

QuickBooks Team

Hello, @ozzie1.

The Amout to Use column is beside the Credit Amount and the Credit Balance under the Discount and Credits page. I'd be glad to help guide you locate the Amt to Use column in QuickBooks Desktop (QBDT).

If your customer has an existing credit, if you wish to apply credit when recording a customer payment, you can click on Apply Credits under the Unused Credits section. Once done, click on the Credits column beside Discount under Discount and Credits.

After clicking the Credits column, you'll then see the available credits under the Available Credits section. Put a check-mark on the available credits you want to apply and Amt. to Use column is beside Credit Amt.

I've attached this screenshot for additional reference.a5 amount to use column.PNG

Please let me know if you have any other concerns about applying credits in QBDT. I'll be always here to help you!

Experienced Member

I think I've been misunderstood.  There are no credits to apply when trying to receive the payment.  since the credits were on an old merchant account.  When the new merchant account was linked to our Quickbooks.  We created the invoice, but there is no credit to apply since it's a new merchant account.  The transaction was made on our old intuit GoPayment merchant account, so when we tried to capture it, and create an invoice to apply the credit, it can't be done because the credit doesn't exist under out new merchant account, but the funds are in our bank account.

QuickBooks Team

Thanks for getting back to us, ozzie1.

Allow me to help provide some additional information on how you can apply for the credit from your old Merchant account to the invoice. 

My colleagues provided you the exact information above. Additionally, since your old merchant account didn't sync to QuickBooks, you'll need to process a received payment. This shows as your available credit which you can apply to the invoice.

Please follow the steps below:

1. At the top menu bar, click Customers.
  2. Select Receive Payments.
  3. On the Received From drop-down, choose the customer’s name.
  4. Enter the Payment Amount (the credit from the old merchant account). 
  5. Change the date range. 
  6. Make sure to uncheck the invoice link to the receive payment. 
  7. Click Save & Close.
  8. Select OK

Right after, you can now open the invoice transaction and click the Apply Credits option. It will show you the available credits from the received payment you've processed that you can apply to the invoice (attached screenshot). 

You may also check the articles provided by my colleagues above for your additional reference. 

This will get you on the right track! Feel me in if you have additional questions about applying credit to the invoice. Wishing you and your business continued success.