cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Experienced Member

Check payee field prints address field

QB Desktop 2017 Premier NonProfit: Vendor wants check written to owner name instead of business name.

I fill out Pay Bills as follows: Pay to the order of: Owner name, Address line 1: Owner name, Address line 2: Business name, Street, City, etc .

QB screen displays Owner name in Pay to the order, Owner name as first line of Address, Business name as second line of address, etc. Everything looks good on screen.

BUT check prints with Business name as payee. Does not print what screen displays. Vendor returns check to me!!!

I suspect problem may be in Bill entry or Vendor setup. I have Business name as Vendor name/short name and company name, Owner name as First/Last name (Vendor/owner requests check paid to personal name, not company). I tried editing Vendor to remove Business name but could not get it to stick; reappears in Payee field when I reprint. 

4 Comments
QuickBooks Team

Re: Check payee field prints address field

Hi there FritzFC,

The printing feature of QuickBooks follows the vendor's name entered in the Company Name field during initial set up. You can create a new vendor profile with the owner's name as the Company Name. Then, merge it with the old vendor's profile so you'll be able to get past this.

Let me show you how to do it.

1. Click Vendors, then Vendor Center.
  2. Click New Vendor drop-down at the top and click New Vendor.
  3. Enter the vendor's information and make sure to enter the owner's first and last name in the Company Name field.
  4. Click OK.
  5. Double-click the old vendor's name, then edit the Vendor Name field to the new vendor's name you've created.
  6. Click OK.
  7. A Merge window will open, click Yes.

Once you're done, you can try reprinting the check again.

You might also find this article helpful for future reference: Reconcile in QuickBooks Desktop.

Let me know in the comment section below if you have other questions. 

Experienced Member

Thanks ShiellaGraceA,

I will try your suggested fix when I am back in the office and confirm when it works.

Meanwhile, my request to you is to escalate this issue upwards. QB Desktop provides a graphic interface for writing checks BUT it does not print what the screen shows. This is a violation of WYSIWYG principles, counterintuitive and frustrating for users. When the screen displays a check, the software should print the check identical to the screen. We are talking days of delay for my vendor and myself trying to straighten out her payment, with opaque software that does not print what it displays.

QuickBooks Team

Good day, FritzFC.

We always appreciate customers who take the time to give us their feedback. I’ll pass along what you’ve said onto our management team.

Please don't hesitate to visit us if you have other concerns. We'd be happy to work with you again. 

Experienced Member

ShiellaGraceA's solution is not adequate. 

I was able to re-enter/merge the vendor as advised but QB still printed the company name as payee, no improvement from my first printing.

My Treasurer heard me cursing QB, came over and discovered the over-ride payee field hidden in a tab in the vendor set-up. Fixing the vendor name/company was ineffective as long as the override was set. 

So I did get the vendor paid.

I still insist that QB should populate the write checks screen with the override data. Not doing that makes troubleshooting a hidden override setting difficult.