cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Frequent Explorer *

Customer Overpayment

When a customer overpays, when I'm receiving the payment, I say to leave the overpayment to be used at a later time.  A credit memo is created that I can print.

However, when I do an aging report, that overpayment/credit memo does not show.  The only items that are picked up on the aging report are open invoices, not overpayments.

I'm using Premier, with classes, if that makes a difference.

Thanks in advance.

17 Comments
QuickBooks Team

Re: Customer Overpayment

Hello, chitch.

There’s a possibility that these credit memos are already been applied to your invoices. This is the reason why they’re no longer showing on the Aging report. To check this, you can run the Transactions List by Customer report and filter it by Credit Memo:

1. Click Reports at the top and select Report Center. 
  2. Type in Transaction List by Customer on the search box. 
  3. Once you’ve open the report, Click Customize report at the top. 
  4. Go to Filters tab and type Transaction Type in the Search Filter tab. 
  5. Click The Arrow next to ALL and select Credit Memo. 
  6. From the list, open each Credit memo and check if there are still remaining credit. 

If there are still open credit Memos, I’d recommend running the Verify Rebuild utility to have QuickBooks identify the issue and fix it right away. You can check this article for further information about this process: https://community.intuit.com/articles/1774819-verify-and-rebuild-data-in-quickbooks-desktop. 

Please don’t mind posting here again if you have other questions. 

Frequent Explorer *

I ran the report that you suggested, and it comes up blank, even though I posted an overpayment this morning and printed a "credit memo."  The only options I have for the overpayment is to keep credit balance or refund, and when I hit "keep credit balance" and save payment, it gives me the option to print the credit memo.

I can see that the total payment shows in the accounts receivable account for the date I received it.

I should say, I know these credits haven't been used yet.  The balance total that shows in the customer center includes the overpayment, but the aging report does not.

Thanks in advance.

Established Community Backer ***

@chitch 

An aging report is just that, how long an invoice is open

a credit memo has nothing to do with that criteria

Frequent Explorer *

We converted to QB as of 1/1/19.  Several customers had open credit balances.  I entered those open credit balances as credit memos, to carry forward the open credit balance.  Those credit memos do show on the aging summary report.

What report would I run that would show customer balance due at today's date, which would include outstanding invoices less any overpayments?

Thanks in advance

Allow me to jump into this conversation, chitch.

I can help you locate the report that you're looking for.

You can customize the Customer Balance Detail to show the open balance including all outstanding invoices less any overpayments. To do this task, please follow these steps:

1. Go to Reports and Customers & Receivables.
  2. Select Customer Balance Detail.
  3. Click on the Customize Report button.
  4. Set the date range.
  5. Under columns, mark to select Open Balance.
  6. Go to Filters.
  7. Under Filter, highlight Paid Status and click on the Open radio button.
  8. Click on OK.

I've attached some screenshots below for you reference:

1.1.PNG

1.2.PNG

1.3.PNG

1.4.PNG

You can also check out this article for further guidance: Customize reports in QuickBooks Desktop.

That should do it. You've got me here if you have further questions. I'm always around. Take care.

Frequent Explorer *

I was so hopeful that this was the answer.  I have run the report as you suggest below, but the overpayments still do not show up.

I notice on my report, the first column, only shows invoice; not payments like your does.  

I looked at the filter for the transaction type, and it is set to "all transactions."

Can you give any further help?  Seems like I should be able to get a report that shows who actually owes us how much money, including any overpayments they've made.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks for getting back to us, @chitch.

I appreciate you following all the steps provided by my colleagues to get this working. Allow me to chime in and help make sure that you're able to see the overpayment on that report.

I read the whole thread, and also replicated it on my end based on what @JaneD provided above. I was able to see both the invoice and payments on the report.

To ensure that I'm on the same page, can you please share a screenshot of the invoice, the payment, and the report? This will help me make sure that I can provide you with the best resolution.

Below are the sample screenshots of what I've done.

231.PNG232.PNG

I'm looking forward to your response, @chitch . Take care.

Frequent Explorer *

I couldn't figure out how to do screen shots with this browser, so I've included a scanned document.

First two pages are the A/R aging, which shows our client 303-138 has a $5.52 amount due, and the customer open balance report I created from within the customer center.

Next is a 2/1 invoice, amount due of $808.08, the payment made, of $825.00, and the credit memo created with the open credit balance of $16.92, the overpayment.  

You'll see the overpayment shows on the customer open balance created from within the customer center, but it doesn't show on the A/R aging report.

What I'm looking for is a report that shows who owes us how much, preferably aged, which reflects overpayments (since that reduces what is owed to us), so that we can follow up for payment.

As a reminder, the negative balances in the over 90 days column on the aging summary reflects the credit memos I put in as of 12/31, reflecting people's open balance items from our old accounting software.

Thanks in advance for your help!  I know it must be something easy that I'm missing; I just don't know what it is.

QuickBooks Team

Hello again, chitch,

Allow me to join the thread and provide information on how to pull up a report which shows the data that you need.

To start, you can pull up the A/R Aging Detail report which shows the lists of the unpaid invoices and statement charges in accounts receivables grouped by when the invoice or statement charge was due (aging period).

Here's what you'll need to do:

1. Go to Reports at the top menu.
  2. Choose Customers & Receivables, then click A/R Aging Detail.
  3. In the A/R Aging Detail window, click Customize Report button.
  4. In the Modify Report: A/R Aging Detail window, go to the Filters tab.
  5. Under Filter, type in Paid Status and click on the Open radio button.
  6. Click OK.

To open any of the transactions listed, double-click the transaction's entry in the report.

That's it! By following the steps above, you're now able to pull up a report which shows the customers who owes you and how much they overpay.

If you have further questions, please feel free to reach back out. I'd be happy to answer it for you.

Frequent Explorer *

For some reason, my overpayments are not showing up.  

What I'm looking for is a report that can be printed that shows who owes us what, preferably aged.  And when I say "what people owe us," it would be any outstanding invoices and any overpayments.

It seems like something that many business owners would like to see.  Why report that someone didn't pay a $1,000 invoice if you're not also going to report that they overpaid an invoice by $200.  So what they owe and what you should follow up for is the $800; not the $1,000.

I feel like I'm missing something!  Is that not information that is helpful in the day-to-day running of a business?

Help still needed!!!  And thanks!

QuickBooks Team

Hi @chitch,

Your credit memo automatically applies to your customer's balance. Let me join into this thread and share additional insights into your customer's overpayment.

To start with, the detailed discussion shared by @JaneD definitely show you the overpayment of your customer's in your Customer Balance Detail report.

In addition, QuickBooks automatically create a credit memo once you recorded an overpayment for your customers. From there, it'll automatically be applied to your customer's balance.

That being said, you'll have to link your credit memo to your customer's invoice so it'll show the transactions in your reports. Also' I'll be including our detailed guide in handling your customer's overpayment.

Keep me posted if you have any other questions.

Frequent Explorer *

I appreciate everybody's help and suggestions.  

However, when I receive an overpayment, it doesn't show up on an aging report.

We have over 800 clients.  We work with invoices, not statements.  When I create invoices, it does allow me to apply an open credit balance to an invoice, but then if the customer pays the invoice in full, it'll just create another overpayment.

What I need is a report that shows, by class/department, who owes us how much money.  Preferrably it would be aged, showing how old items are.  Part of that aging should include any open credits/overpayments.  

I can get the information I need from an open balance report within each customer in the customer center.  But with 800+ clients, that's a long, tedious way to find out who owes you money.  

Can anyone suggest a method to get to the information we need to follow up on our accounts receivable?

Thanks for your help.

Hi again, @chitch.

Thanks for getting back to us and for the details you've given. Allow me to step in and help make sure this is taken care of.

First of all, I appreciate you following all the steps provided on this thread. The overpayment should show on the A/R Aging Detail/Summary and Customer Balance Detail reports as a negative amount. Here are some sample screenshots.

5.PNG6.PNG7.PNG

However, since they're not showing, I suggest contacting our Phone Support team. They have tools such as screen-sharing (remote access) that can check your account in a secure environment and further investigate. Please refer to this article for the detailed steps on how to reach them: Contact the QuickBooks Desktop Customer Support Team.

After contacting them, I'm confident that you should be able to see all the customers who owe you and their overpayments.

Please let me know how the call goes or should you need anything else. I'm only a few clicks away for further assistance. Take care and have a good one.

Frequent Explorer *

Fritz,

I tried the number to call.  There was a language problem, and I'm pretty sure they said it was going to cost $34 for them to answer the question?  In any event, another call came in and I had to disconnect the call.

However, I believe I have discovered what the issue might be.  If I run just a straight A/R Aging Summary, the overpayments show up.  We have multiple companies, and each company is a separate class.  When I customize the report to filter by class, then the overpayments no longer show.

Does that help with what the issue might be?  So I ran the report, and I just customized one thing, the class, and then the overpayments no longer appeared on the report.

Still hoping you can help.  Thanks in advance.

QuickBooks Team

Thanks for getting back into this thread, @chitch.

I appreciate you providing information of the things you've tried. Let me share some more insights with you.

We have a service fee when you call in, and you do not currently subscribe to our support plan. Meanwhile, it's likely the overpayment transaction doesn't have an assigned class. When running and customizing the A/R Aging Summary report by class, transactions without one will not be added.

The reporting feature of QuickBooks is based on a set of instructions. Information is extracted from the data file and shown as a set of transaction lines. Report set determines which lines of which transactions are included in the report and if the report includes either Source or Targets or both.

On the report screen, click the Amount link to open the transaction. Make sure that the Class field has an information. 
1.PNG

For additional reference, you can check the following articles:

That should be enough information to keep you going, @chitch. Let me know if you have other questions about reports. I'm still here to help you more.

Frequent Explorer *

Thanks for your response.  I feel like we might be getting somewhere.

The invoice certainly has a class assigned to it.  I don't see how to assign a class to the payment screen however.  Any suggestions?

Thanks.

QuickBooks Team

Hi there, chitch.

Allow me to share additional information about assigning class to the Receive Payment screen.

Assigning a class when receiving payment isn't possible in QuickBooks Desktop. QuickBooks automatically copy's the information from your invoices when you receive payments. If you set up a class for an invoice, then QuickBooks will know that the corresponding payment would under the specific class you just set up. No need for you to set up a class again.

You got me here if you have other questions or clarifications about this. I'm always around to keep helping.