cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Experienced Member

Delete Credit Memo QB Pro 2014

Does anyone know how to delete a credit memo on Quickbooks Pro 2014?

7 Comments
QuickBooks Team

Re: Delete Credit Memo QB Pro 2014

Hi there, @jktlady.

I'm here to help show you how to delete your credit memo in QuickBooks.

On your QuickBooks account, go to Customers menu and select Customer Center.

Select the Customers & Jobs folder and click the customer on the left side panel. Locate and double-click the credit memo you want to delete. 

Select the Delete button on the credit memo transaction.

That should do it. Let me know if you have additional questions about your credit memo transaction. I'll be here to help.

Experienced Member

Thanks, but that did not help delete the credit.  I think it helped show more detail about this issue though.  

No credit memo appeared-- even when I only selected Credit Memo in the drop menu (instead of All Transactions).  Yet when I open the Receive Payments screen for this customer, there is an Available Credit of $xxxx.xx showing in a small box at the bottom.

This credit is inaccurate and needs to be deleted.  The only way I can do this-- so far-- is by creating a new invoice for this customer to match the credit amount, then apply the credit.  But this makes my sales figures inaccurate.

Is there another way?

QuickBooks Team

Thanks for getting back to us with that clarification, jktlady.

I'd love to add to this discussion and provide additional clarification on your question regarding the credit memo.

Customer credit only appears when you've recorded an overpayment, made a deposit using Accounts Receivable, or manually created a credit memo. However, since you've mentioned that you didn't see one when you selected Credit Memo on the Transactions list, then it couldn't be the latter.

That said, let's pull up the Customer Balance Detail report and use it to figure out the origin of the credit.

To make it easier to find, we can filter the report to show only the transactions of the customer that has the credit. Let me walk you through the steps on how to do it:

1. Click the Customize Report button.
  2. Go to the Filters tab.
  3. In the Search field, enter Name and select it in the Filter section.
  4. From the Name drop-down menu, choose the customer's name.
  5. Click OK.

Customize Report CBD.PNG

After applying the filter, continue looking for the transaction and when you've found it, double-click the transaction to open it up.

Once it's open, I would recommend that you edit and make the necessary changes, instead of deleting it. Unlike credit memos, payment transactions and deposits are usually linked to an invoice.

However, if you still decide to delete it, then you can go ahead and do so. Just a heads up, to delete deposits, you'll need to click the Edit menu and choose Delete Deposit. Or, simply press Ctrl + D on your keyboard, then click OK.

That should do the trick. With these resources, I'm confident you'll be to get rid of the credit memo like a pro in no time!

Keep in touch with me here should you need any additional assistance, I'm always around to lend a hand. Thanks for dropping in, wishing you and your business only the best.

Experienced Member

Thanks for the help.  The Customer Balance Detail report has been helpful for looking at how all the transactions balance.  I am using 2014 version so it's a little different, FYI.

But I still have a problem.

The Total line at the bottom of my customer's summary shows -138.45 (they have overpaid this amount).  But when I open the Receive Payments screen the Credits at the bottom reads $1,133.45.

I can see that this number is the Overpayment (138.45) plus their Current Balance due (995).  

Why would the credit box include the current balance due, when the Balance Report shows only 138.45?

It makes no sense looking at the Detailed Balance.  All the numbers add to -138.45, but the credit is adding -995 to this, when it's supposed to be +995.

Furthermore, I'm not allowed to choose the amount to apply from the credit when I click the Discounts and Credit option atop the receive payment detail.

QuickBooks Team

Hello again, jktlady.

Thanks for explaining your situation-I see what the issue is, and I’m here to help you resolve this.

Now, let’s try some new steps to correct your customer’s transactions. To begin, the Verify and Rebuild Data Utilities.

Verifying the data will check any damaged transactions or lists in your company file, and rebuilding it will resolve any problems detected in your account.

Run the Verify Data utility:

1. Choose Window and select Close All.
  2. Go to File at the top menu bar.
  3. Select Utilities.
  4. Click on Verify Data.

Once an error is found, you'll need to continue with rebuilding the data. I’ll walk you through the process.

Here’s how:

1. Go back to the File menu.
  2. Select Utilities.
  3. Click on Rebuild Data.
  4. Then you'll be prompted to create a backup copy of your company file.
  5. Once done, click on OK.

Let me know if you’re having any troubles with the process and I'll take another look for you. I'm always a comment away if you need help.

Experienced Member

Thanks for the tip, but there was no data errors detected.

QuickBooks Team

Thanks for getting back, jktlady.

I want to make sure this get's taken care of. So far, we haven't received similar cases about deleting credit memos in QuickBooks Desktop.

If Verify and Rebuild Data Utilities doesn't fixed the issue, I recommend contacting our QuickBooks Customer Care Team. They'll be able to take a close look at the issue and may initiate a screen sharing to properly investigate and resolve this for you.

You can reach out to them through this contact information:

1. Go to: https://help.quickbooks.intuit.com/en_US/contact.
  2. Choose your QuickBooks Product.
  3. Select your QuickBooks version.
  4. On the Contact Us page, click a topic.
  5. Click on the Get Phone Number button to see the support number.

Fill me in if you have any other concerns about QuickBooks. I'll be sure to help you in anyway I can.