cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MJFC
Level 2

Does a client have to pay a new invoice for every payment with progress invoicing?

If I send an invoice asking for a 50% deposit and that invoice is paid, would I have to send a different invoice asking for the balance? I would like for there to be a way to keep it all in one invoice. Is it possible for a client to pay a deposit on an invoice and then that same invoice can be updated to reflect the payment? Then the same invoice can be sent again to the client for them to finish paying the balance after the work is completed? I appreciate the help.

Solved
Best answer January 28, 2019

Best Answers
ShiellaGraceA
QuickBooks Team

Does a client have to pay a new invoice for every payment with progress invoicing?

Hi MJFC,

As what @Anonymous mentioned, you'll want to create a new invoice for the remaining balance of the customer. If you want to send the details of your customer's estimate, you can create a statement.

Here's how to do it:

1. Click Create (+).
  2. Click Statement.
  3. Choose Balance Forward in the Statement Type.
  4. Click the Statements available tab.
  5. Select the customer, and then click Print or Preview.
  6. Click Print.

This article is also a good reference: Turn on and use progress invoicing.

I've also added a screenshot for you below.

Reach out to us anytime if you have other questions.

View solution in original post

7 Comments 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello, MJFC. 

There’s no option in progress invoicing to send only one invoice to your customer. You’ll need to create and send another invoice for each service you’ve completed.

You might want to share your preferred way of invoicing customers with our developers through feedback. Just click the Gear icon at the top and select Feedback.

Please visit us again if you need anything else.

MJFC
Level 2

Thank you for your response, MikiD. The reason I've asked this is because I've had several clients request to keep everything on one invoice. If that's the case, will the second invoice reflect the payment that was already made? I'd like to be sure the client can see every detail, at the very least.

PreciousB

Hello MJFC,

I'm here to share some details about showing the payments on the invoice.

Yes. You can show the deposits on the invoice. You’ll want to edit the invoice template in the Custom form styles screen. Then, select the Deposit box.

Let me show you how:

1. Click the Gear icon at the top, then choose Custom Form Styles.
  2. Locate the template name, then click Edit under Action column.
  3. Select the Content tab at the top.
  4. Click the footer section.
  5. Check the Deposit box (refer to the screenshot below).
  6. Click Done.

image.png

If you need any assistance in QuickBooks Online, please let me know. I'd love to help you.

MJFC
Level 2

Thank you for your reply PreciousB. It seems as though if I were to make the Deposit box appear, I'd have to manually type in the amount that was paid. If I do that, the balance due renders $0 because the client paid the initial invoice. How could this be solved?

ShiellaGraceA
QuickBooks Team

Hi MJFC,

As what @Anonymous mentioned, you'll want to create a new invoice for the remaining balance of the customer. If you want to send the details of your customer's estimate, you can create a statement.

Here's how to do it:

1. Click Create (+).
  2. Click Statement.
  3. Choose Balance Forward in the Statement Type.
  4. Click the Statements available tab.
  5. Select the customer, and then click Print or Preview.
  6. Click Print.

This article is also a good reference: Turn on and use progress invoicing.

I've also added a screenshot for you below.

Reach out to us anytime if you have other questions.

Vitan
Level 3

Very interesting. Is the statements a new feature? Is there a way to send multiple statements to the same customer but for different jobs? Looks like the amount is bunched all together per customer and I can't see a way to separate per project.

JenoP

Glad to have you here, Vitan.

The customer statement feature is available in QuickBooks Online for a while now. Though, you can only create and send statements per customer, and not per job or projects. I'd like to share this article for more details: How To Create And Manage Statements

Our engineers would like to hear your thoughts about the existing customer statement feature in the program. Please send a feature request directly to them by clicking the Gear icon in the upper-right hand corner of QuickBooks, then click Feedback.

Don't hesitate to ask questions in the Community if you need help. 

Need to get in touch?

Contact us