cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Experienced Member

How do I hook up a card reader to quickbooks 2019 for mac?

I can't seem to get my card reader to work.

7 Comments
QuickBooks Team

Re: How do I hook up a card reader to quickbooks 2019 for mac?

I can guide you on how to use the card reader, askenguitars.

You can follow these steps to make sure you install the card reader correctly:

1. Plug in the card reader directly into the computer computer with the software installed without the use of a USB hub or extension. You should not be using any remote or VPN connections.
  2. Open or log in to the application.
  3. Since QuickBooks for Mac doesn't have Swipe Card button, make sure the process credit card checkbox is checked off. Then, swipe the card.
  4. The information will populate in the payment fields. Then, enter the amount.
  5. Submit the transaction for processing to complete the process.

The Community team is always here if you have other questions.

Experienced Member

Unfortunately, I don't see a "process credit card" checkbox, only a button that's greyed out, I'm assuming because the payment fields aren't populated. Am I missing something?

Experienced Member

Unfortunately, I don't see a "process credit card" checkbox, only a button that is greyed out, I'm assuming because the payment fields aren't populated. I did notice that my old MAGTEK swiper will work, but the CSC and zip code fields are greyed out. I'm getting nothing from the quickbooks swiper, although the light is on and it's hooked up directly to the computer.

Experienced Member

My bad, the process credit card checkbox was checked off, but it's still not populating the payment fields when I swipe.

QuickBooks Team

Hello there, @askenguitars,

Let's get your card reader working so you can accept credit card payments.

Great job on turning on the option to process credit card payments. This helps you select a payment type since QuickBooks for Mac does not have the Swipe Card button.

You can uninstall the card reader and re-install it. This is to ensure the device will work properly on your computer. 

If the payment field still not populating, I recommend contacting our QuickBooks Desktop Payments Team. They'll be able to check and verify the installation for you. 

I've also added these articles for your additional guidance with QuickBooks Payments:

Let me know how everything turns out by leaving a comment below. I'm always around whenever you need additional information.

Experienced Member

When you say uninstall and re-install the card reader, do you mean unplug and re-plug in the reader? That doesn't seem to work.

QuickBooks Team

Hey there, @askenguitars.

Allow me to step into this conversation and provide some clarifications about selecting the payment fields when swiping a credit card in QuickBooks.

When selecting the CSC and zip code fields, if the cards don't have a U.S. format zip code like international cards, the cardholder will need to contact their bank for options to use when a U.S. zip code is required.

To give you more insight about processing payments, you may read through this article: Process payment in Merchant Service Center.

If the problem continues after verifying the zip code, I'd suggest getting in touch with our Merchant Services Department. This team is the best resource for such inquiries as they're able to pull up your account and verify what's causing the issue.

Feel free to let me know how it goes. I'm here to provide further assistance if there's anything else you need. Have a good one!