cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Experienced Member
Solved

How to accept a deposit on an invoice with Quickbooks Payments?

I'm using Quickbooks Payments to accept payments from customers.  I'm trying to figure out how to let a customer pay a portion of an invoice, without having to manually edit the payment amount while paying the invoice.  Even though this way works, it is far from ideal as a customer can make an incorrect deposit amount and we will be paying per transaction.

After reading this article https://quickbooks.intuit.com/community/Reports-and-accounting/Manage-upfront-deposits-or-retainers/..., I'm confused on how to work with deposits while using quickbooks payments.  Basically, I'm stuck on step 3 which is recording the deposit.  The issue is that I can't record the deposit manually if the person is paying with QB Payments, those transactions get automatically imported and matched.

So I'm wondering if I'm able to send an invoice, and then only request a portion of payment, so that when the customer receives the invoice they can just click "Pay Deposit" instead of paying the full amount.  Is there a way to do that?  If not, how do you guys solve it?

Best answer 02-07-2019 12:58 PM

Accepted Solutions

Re: How to accept a deposit on an invoice with Quickbooks Payments?

Thanks for your quick response, manousheh.

I would have to agree that having a "Pay Deposit" or "Pay Invoice in Full" buttons on an e-invoice is convenient for you and your customers. While we don't have this option, ​I'll personally send a feedback statement to our product engineers so they’ll consider adding this feature. We'd love to hear your suggestions too. Your feedback helps us create a better experience for you and for all of our customers.

To do so, click the Feedback link at the top of your Merchant Service Center screen (see the screenshot below).

image.png

Thanks for letting us know about your experience. I'm happy to help some more if you have other questions in QuickBooks or Merchant Services. Have a great day.

3 Comments

Thanks for posting here in the Community, manousheh.

Let me share some details about paying a portion of an invoice using QuickBooks Payments.

Right now, the customer would have to manually edit the amount on the e-invoice that they want to partially pay. However, once there is already a partial payment that was applied to an e-invoice, the balance of the transaction will automatically show zero or fully paid when you resend it to the customer. You'll have to manually record a payment to the remaining balance by using the Receive Payment feature in QuickBooks Online or in QuickBooks Desktop.

As for your other concern, if you are using the Downloaded Transactions feature to connect to your bank, deposit batches will automatically be matched. This is because your payments will automatically go into the Undeposited Funds account in QuickBooks Online as soon as you process them.

Once they settle and are deposited into your checking account in real life, you're right that the Batch Deposit will automatically be recorded.

That should answer your question. If you have any questions or clarifications about QuickBooks, please leave a comment below. Have a good one.

Experienced Member

So there isn't a better way than leaving this in the hands of the customer?  Humans can make errors, I feel if there was a simple field called "require a deposit", and when that is selected we were prompted to enter the deposit amount, it would be much safer.  Then the customer would just get an invoice that would have two buttons on it (pay deposit, or pay invoice in full), or even just one button for "pay deposit".  This way the customer can't make mistakes.  If there is nothing like that, would this be a good place to request this feature, or is there a better place for me to submit it?

Thanks for your quick response, manousheh.

I would have to agree that having a "Pay Deposit" or "Pay Invoice in Full" buttons on an e-invoice is convenient for you and your customers. While we don't have this option, ​I'll personally send a feedback statement to our product engineers so they’ll consider adding this feature. We'd love to hear your suggestions too. Your feedback helps us create a better experience for you and for all of our customers.

To do so, click the Feedback link at the top of your Merchant Service Center screen (see the screenshot below).

image.png

Thanks for letting us know about your experience. I'm happy to help some more if you have other questions in QuickBooks or Merchant Services. Have a great day.