cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Established Member
Solved

How to enter multiple expense categories for one check

When paying an expense report or a credit card bill, there will be one check, however, the expenses must be divided between expense categories. How do I do this?

Best answer 10-16-2017 03:28 PM

Accepted Solutions
Super Explorer *

Re: How to enter multiple expense categories for one check

In the accept transaction window, click on the descrtiption field of the item that you want to split and click on the split btton on the right. A new window will appear which allow you to split the expense into two categories. If you need more thatn two lines, click on "add lines" for more lines.

This is the same method when you enter an expense or a check: use add a line for more categories.

By the way, credit card entries (purchases) should be entered by themselves. The payment to pay off the credit card should not be the place where you enter the various purchases, specially if you do not pay off the credit card in full each month.

3 Comments
Super Explorer *

In the accept transaction window, click on the descrtiption field of the item that you want to split and click on the split btton on the right. A new window will appear which allow you to split the expense into two categories. If you need more thatn two lines, click on "add lines" for more lines.

This is the same method when you enter an expense or a check: use add a line for more categories.

By the way, credit card entries (purchases) should be entered by themselves. The payment to pay off the credit card should not be the place where you enter the various purchases, specially if you do not pay off the credit card in full each month.

Do you know if it is possible to split a credit card charge into several months for accounting purposes?

Example: Let's say I buy $100 worth of printing paper with my credit card; but it will be used throughout the next 6 months. Is there a way to show this in quickbooks?

Highlighted
QuickBooks Team

Hello there, LasPupusasdelItacate.

Let me help you on how to handle credit card charges in QuickBooks.

You can record the unused office supplies either through a bill or a check using an asset account and charge the supplies to an expense account as once you use them.

Once you're ready to use the supplies, you can enter a Journal Entry in order to offset the amounts. However, if you don't spend a lot of money on office supplies, you can debit the expense when you're ready to make the purchase.

However, I'd still suggest consulting an accountant to help and guide through the whole process. Your accountant can provide more expert advice in dealing with this concern.

Please reach out to me if you have follow-up questions about this. I'm always happy to you out.