cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Contributor *
Solved

Issues with invoice details displayed on emailed invoices.

I don't think I did anything to change how my invoices appear in emails but something is different now and it is confusing my customers.

The old email had a short message and a "View Invoice" button. The button displayed a detailed invoice using the template I have set up in QBO to clearly show the item name, description, quantity and prices. It is very easy for anyone to look at and understand.

Now the email has the short message along with an abbreviated version of the invoice. This abbreviated version is what is throwing my customers. The organization of the data for each line item is not very professional. The main issue is that the quantity is just floating on its own out in space between line items without any kind of label to let the customer know that it is in fact the quantity.

I would like to make this abbreviated invoice look like my standard invoice or remove it altogether. Is there a way to do either of these?

(Title has been edited by moderator for clarity)

Best answer 08-09-2018 10:09 AM

Accepted Solutions
Community Explorer **

Re: Confusing invoice layout in emails

I was able to simplify the invoice email using QB!

Go to Account Settings | Sales | Online Delivery 

1. Under "Email options for all sales forms" select "Show short summary in email"
  2.  Select "Attach as pdf"
  3. Under "Additional email options for invoices", select the "HTML" format

This is a very simple email that explains to our customers in the header that the invoice is attached as a .pdf file.  See attached image.

I was super excited to find this resolution to our problem of listing the line item detail in the contents of the invoice email.  Hope it works for you 

97 Comments
QuickBooks Team

Hey there adamDFKC,

Welcome to the Community. I'm happy to offer my assistance with your invoices.

You may want to first check your custom forms list to see if you can find your original layout or recreate it. This can be done by:

1. Clicking the Gear icon in the top right corner.

2. Choose Custom Form Styles under Your Company.

3. Make sure the desired template is in the list or click New style in the top right corner.

To use your custom template when sending invoices:

1. Click the create icon (+) in the top right corner.

2. Select Invoice.

3. Choose Customize at the bottom of the page.

4. Pick your invoice template from the list.

5. Fill in the necessary invoice information.

6. Click Save and Send or Save and Close.

Another option available is to import an invoice template from Word. This article will walk you through the steps of this process: https://community.intuit.com/articles/1145368-how-to-import-invoice-template-styles-from-word.

You'll be back to business in no time. Feel free to reach out to me if you have any other questions.

Community Host

Hey Adam (@adamDFKC),

Do you have your original custom invoice set as the default in the Custom Form Styles menu?

I made a brief video about this last week - you may want to remove some data fields so the quantity category is put in a more relevant place. I try to eliminate as many categories as I can so everything looks clean.

Hope this helps!

Community Contributor *

Not trying to be rude, but I think you've both missed the point of the original post. I have the same problem. It's not the invoice that has changed, becuase my custome invoice template still shows up as a PDF attachment to the email. It's the content of the email itself that has changed.

This is what the email used to look like:

IMAGE REMOVED

Now the email looks like this, even though I made no changes to anything in the system:

IMAGE REMOVED

Community Explorer *

I have the same problem. It just started happening today. Plus, I've lost the ability to print my invoice copy from within the Save/Send preview window.

What is going on??? This has nothing to do with our templates. When i print out my invoice using the print dragdown it looks the same as my template.

The worst thing is that it's confusing to the customer. There are just too many options here that don't make sense:

They see an unattractive version of my logo with the company name in large letters below my already self-contained logo. 

Next, a big blue box with the dollar amount HUGE inside, the due date, a black "Print or Save" button, and the words Powered by Quick Books. Sorry but they DON'T need to be smacked in the fact with your branding. What are you, Vistaprint?

Then, there is the main information from the invoice in bleah letters on a gray background.weird truncated version of the invoice

Then, below that ANOTHER black box that says Print or Save that opens the invoice in a web browser.

Then, the QBO LOGO AGAIN with a bunch of All rights reserved CRAP and links to their privacy, security and Terms of Service.
    Then FINALLY, at the very bottom, a viewable PDF of my invoice the way I created it.

Quickbooks, I am VERY unhappy with this change. It looks ridiculous and unprofessional and the fact that there was no notification for it, frankly, sucks. I am not paying for this service so you can splash your brand all over my invoices.

Community Host

@csalvian, thanks for your input, you're not being rude at all. I appreciate you sending the visual for context. 

@adamDFKC@Bluechute@csalvian, I am reaching out to my Product Manager colleague here in Mountain View to see if I can get you some insight into this format change. Please standby! 

Community Contributor *

James,

I just sent a couple invoices this morning and it appears as though it is now fixed. That is wonderful, but like the others, I'm wondering why Intuit chose to make this change without any consultation or notification to the users. Was this an isolated incident to a few accounts? Or was this widespread? Personally I would like the ability to modifiy the email template to suit my own needs without relying on what Intuit feels my emails should look like.

Thank you for your prompt attention to this matter.

Chris

Community Explorer *

My invoices still look like they did on Tuesday. Way too much going on. My logo which already includes my company name at the top, and then below that, my full company name (as incorporated, which I don't use in most correspondance) in giant letters. Plus all the Quickbook free advertising. My clients don't need to know how I do my accounting. It's just all very unprofessional and makes me rethink all the high scores I've given Quickbooks on their surveys.

Community Explorer *

To clarify, it's not the physical invoice that's changed, but the formatting of the email that is sent. Definitely need a workaround.

Intuit

Thank you all for the feedback. 

We've updated the invoice email so that you can:

• Better highlight your brand as a small business and customize your emails. You can now choose your color, highlight your logo, and choose to hide/show invoice details. Preferences you've set for your invoice template now carry over to your invoice email.
  • Optimize your invoice emails for mobile devices. More often than not, your customers will be receiving their emails on the go, on their mobile devices. The new invoice email is responsive to any screen size, so your users don't have to "pinch and zoom". They can now easily view, and if you have QuickBooks Payments, pay, your invoice wherever they are.
  • Allow your customers to easily and quickly review their invoices right in their email, rather than needing to click and load the invoice on a separate webpage

To answer the concerns directly above: 

• @adamDFKC
    • The "View invoice" button, now renamed to say either "Review and pay" (if you have QuickBooks Payments set up), or "Print or save", brings your customers to the same link where they can view their invoice online. There is no change to the invoice template or PDF that you have set up that loads on this page. 
    • Would you mind sharing a screenshot of the abbreviated view? The invoice email is supposed to be a full version of the invoice, not an abbreviated view, but there might be some differences in how different mail clients load and display emails that we have not accounted for.
  • @csalvian: The new invoice emails are live for only a subset of customers in the US right now. But yes, we can definitely do a better job communicating changes like this more proactively in the future.
  • @Bluechute:
    • With security always top of mind, we've heard feedback from some users that they'd like to see "Powered by QuickBooks" to lend credibility to the link in the email, and especially for invoices that customers can pay online
    • The intention was to downplay the QuickBooks brand with the new invoice emails. You can now select a color that represents your business, and you are no longer stuck with only the "QuickBooks green". The QuickBooks logo is now also further down the email than where it was, so it only shows once your customers start scrolling through the email. The Privacy, Security, and Terms of service links are the same as the old emails. But we hear and appreciate your feedback, and we can explore smaller font sizes for "Powered by QuickBooks", and privacy, security, and terms of service links to make them less visible.
    • Do you by chance use the Mac Mail program to access your email? Mac Mail automatically puts a screenshot of attachments at the end of emails, but that's a Mac setting, and will not appear if your customers are opening your invoice on other mail clients like Gmail or iPhone.
    • You can still print your invoice after you create your invoice, by clicking on the Print/Preview button at black bar on the bottom of the screen.
    • You can also turn off your business name from the email. Your email preferences are now synced to your invoice template. So if you go to Gear > Custom form styles and edit your template (e.g. turn off your company name, choose a different accent color), settings there will also apply to your email 
    • When you say "unattractive version of my logo" - could you please tell us more? Does the logo look grainy or in a lower resolution? Does the size or aspect ratio look off?

We definitely hear the feedback that we can do a better job communicating changes like this more proactively in the future. Appreciate your patience, and thank you all again for the feedback - this will help us continue to make QuickBooks better for small businesses worldwide.

Community Contributor *

Other than the text that goes into the email, I don't see anywhere in the program that gives me the ability to customise the email content (i.e. colors, logos, etc.). Can you tell me how I can accomplish this please?

Chris

Intuit

Hey @csalvian thanks for following up. Here is how you can do it.

Click the Gear icon > Custom Form Styles.
1) To change the design on an existing template, click Edit.
2) Or, to start a new style, click New style on the upper left, and then select Invoice, Estimate, or Sales Receipt 
3) Changes made on the Design and Content tabs will apply to both the invoice and the invoice email. e.g. color, turning on/off business name

4) From the Design tab, select Try other colors

5) Select the desired color

6) You will be able to see your new color applied to your email in your Send email preview when you send your next invoice

We are currently making an update to the preview on the Email tab so that you will be able to see the updates directly while making your changes

Community Host

Hey @csalvian

We wrote a tutorial on how to do each of these functions and best practices for customizing invoices. Hope this helps!

Why Should I Customize my Invoices?

Established Member

I was happy to find this thread as the new email layout was confusing me as well.

Is it possible to turn off the invoice details/preview within the email??

I don't necessarily have a problem with the message portion of the email, but the invoice details look ridiculous.

My formatted invoice template still looks great, but the invoice formatting is not reflected in the invoice details/preview found below the 'print or save button.'

There are no lines, and the information is double spaced and organized in a confusing manner. 

This seems to be the same point made by other posters.

If it were possible to turn off the invoice details or revise the appearance of this information, I believe many of us would be very happy. 

Thank you for taking the time to address these concerns.

Best,

Jason

QuickBooks Team

Hello, Jason4.

I appreciate you bringing your request forward here in the Community.

To see additional customization for invoicing within QuickBooks Online, I recommend leaving feedback for our Product Development Team. Your ideas and suggestions can be entered directly through your account by clicking the Gear icon in the top right corner, then select Feedback. This is the best way to ensure meaningful updates are added in the future.

I wish you and your business continued success. I'm here if you have any other questions.

Community Contributor *

PLEASE go back to the original email options!!!  attached.

also attached - your new email with all kinds of random junk in it.  

I ahave spent well over 2 hours in 2 calsls weoith tech support trying to fix this to no avail.

and you rolled this oput with NO notice in the heat of tax season!!

I am now UNABLE to email inovices to clients.  

Community Contributor *

you  sent me an email saying:

"• Better highlight your brand as a small business and customize your emails. You can now choose your color, highlight your logo, and choose to hide/show invoice details. Preferences you've set for your invoice template now carry over to your invoice email."

this does NOT work.   I sent you an example of the random verbiage that is showing up - it makes impossible now to email an invoice.  PLEASE address this issue directly!

thanks kate

Community Host

Hey @kateherman,

Thanks for letting us know about your experience. I am actually reaching out to some project managers from that team and hopefully we can get some more clarification. 

In the meantime, would you mind sending a screenshot of what you are experiencing? 

Community Contributor *

i did - but here it is again.  I would be happy to show you on my computer if you would care to give me a call.  in 2 following posts i will also upload the actual invoice, and a screen shot of the invoice on my side .  can't add multiple files here!

Community Contributor *

here is the actual invoice

Community Contributor *

here is the screenshot

Community Explorer *

Glad to see everyone else sharing in my misery. I have called them 5 times already and sent in numerous negative feedback reports. This new layout is completely unprofessional. I've got missing placeholder images, logo (already with company name) on top of duplicated company name, text overload, layout/alignment/centering problems, two links to review and pay - what???, quickbook logos everywhere. All of our invoices are about to be sent May 1. I cannot believe anyone there thought this was a good idea!!!

Please fix ASAP!!! I wasn't planning on moving my invoices to another service but if this is not fixed I do not have a choice.

Community Explorer *

First off I guarantee NO ONE asks for this:

With security always top of mind, we've heard feedback from some users that they'd like to see "Powered by QuickBooks" to lend credibility to the link in the email, and especially for invoices that customers can pay online

The new email template is horrendous, either provide and option to revert to the old layout or allow for html editing so your lack of development/testing can be fixed by someone with attention to detail. I would never send anything to my clients that look this way, but currently I may not have a choice. This needs to be fixed ASAP!

Community Contributor *

got another email today from Julian C:

Kate,

Thank you for your response. I have forwarded your concerns to our team. The invoice template (PDF) you use to bill is an Imported Style. Settings you've set for your Standard/Master template carry over to your invoice email. For instance if you wanted to remove the Product/Service name on your invoice and invoice template, you can edit the Standard template (Gear Icon > Custom Form Styles > Edit Standard template).  NOT TRUE - ALL IS REMOVED EXCEPT DESCRIPTION. THE WORDS PRODUCT/SERVICE AND RAMDON HOURLY RATES AND TIME STILL SHOW UP IN EMAIL

Also, We offer a total of 3 Online Delivery invoice email templates. Were you able to look into the other Online Delivery options?  YES TRIED THEM ALL - SAME RESULT - NO CHANGE TO EMAIL

Gear Icon > Account and Settings > Sales tab > Online Delivery:
• Online Invoice
• HTML (see attached screenshot)  SCREENSHOT SEEMS TO SHOW OLD EMAILS BEFORE  THIS "IMPRVOVEMENT"
• Plain Text (see attached screenshot)
*Note - The Online Invoice allows your customers to pay you directly using the "Review and pay" button and HTML and Plain text do not have "Review and pay" buttons.

Please let me know if this helps.

PLEASE SOMEBODY CALL ME!!!!

Julian C.

Community Explorer *

Change it back!