cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mac version not treating old general journal as payment

I am testing out if I can use the mac version of Quickbooks. My company file has a number of general journals from many, many years ago that cleared items in Accounts Receivable to a bad debts account. In the Windows version, these journal entries show up as payments in Customer Information and the original Accounts Receivable items do not appear in AR reports. In the Mac version, these do not show up as payments, and the items are still listed in AR reports as not being paid. Interestingly, if you open the original invoice in the mac version, it actually is labeled as paid even though there is no payment in Customer Information.

Any thoughts on whether this can be worked around? 

5 Comments
Highlighted
Established Community Backer ***

Re: Mac version not treating old general journal as payment

I'll ask QA to look into this. Generally you want to use the payment mechanism in QuickBooks rather than journal entries. 

QuickBooks Team

Welcome to the Intuit Community, anotherPoet.

I’m happy to know you’re interested in using QuickBooks Desktop for Mac. Let’s link the payment to the invoice to properly track the transactions.

I have a few easy steps to do this in the Mac version. Here’s how:

1. At the top menu bar of your company file, choose Customers and select Receive Payments.
  2. You can either click the “Create a Payment” option or tap the Plus icon at the bottom.
  3. At the top of the Payments window, select or enter the information on the following fields Customer:job, Date, Amount, Pmt. Method, and Check No.
  4. Select the outstanding invoices and charges you’re receiving the payment for.
  5. Click Save to process the transaction.

To connect the existing credit:

1. Follow Step 1 above.
  2. Choose the correct customer.
  3. You’ll see the amount of the credit on the right panel.
  4. Enter the amount you want to apply, then mark the box for Apply Existing Credits.
  5. Click on Save.

For additional resources, I’m adding a video tutorial for visual reference as well as a guide for the step by step process. Go to pages 102 and 111.

You can download the article by going to the Need help section. Simply visit this site: https://qblittlesquare.com/.

This should point you in the right direction. Let me know how these steps work for you. I want to make sure you’re all set with this concern.

Established Community Backer ***

QA wasn't able to reproduce what you describe. They've asked me to request you contact us. You can reach me at qbmacforum1 @ intuit.com  (leave out the spaces). Please include a link to this discussion thread for context.

I've tried that. Apparently these invoices are not considered outstanding in several contexts, despite appearing in the AR report as unpaid. They do not appear in the list of outstanding invoices in Customer Payment. They are marked PAID on the invoices themselves despite the Transaction History report not listing the general journal paying for it (as the Windows version does).

Similarly, the journal does not show up as a credit anymore anywhere that it could be applied, despite showing up in the AR report as an unused credit.

To reply to the earlier comment about using the payment mechanism, please keep in mind that these are records from over a decade ago. The journals are not a process we've used in many many years.

QuickBooks Team

Hello there, anotherPoet.

Thanks for getting back. I appreciate you for keeping us posted and for following the steps provided above.

Since there are no payments linked to your invoices, I recommend calling our QuickBooks Desktop Mac Support. They'll be able to guide you through the whole process.

Here's how you can contact our phone support: 

1. Click this link: https://help.quickbooks.intuit.com/en_US/contact.
  2. Select QuickBooks Mac Desktop.
  3. Type-in Technical Support on the search bar.
  4. And click Get the Phone number below. 

I'd also recommend communicating to one of our QuickBooks Desktop for Mac experts @IntuitBrooks through the email she provided above. 

If there's anything else I can further assist you with, feel free to get back to me so I can help you some more.