cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Established Member
Solved

Mark-up amount showing on invoices

My mark-up amounts are showing on my invoices to customers and of course I don't want that. How do I change that?

Best answer 10-08-2018 09:42 AM

Accepted Solutions
ProAdvisor

Re: Mark-ups on invoices

@jesspro

To hide MarkUp on Invoice, you will need to select box "Print selected time and costs as invoice item" at the bottom. See attached screenshot below for reference.

Also, copy "25lb. of ... T-shirt" description and paste it to the "Total Reimbursable Expenses" description line. That way you will see the Product name description on the Invoice.

hide_markup_on_invoice.PNG

9 Comments
ProAdvisor

@jesspro

To hide MarkUp on Invoice, you will need to select box "Print selected time and costs as invoice item" at the bottom. See attached screenshot below for reference.

Also, copy "25lb. of ... T-shirt" description and paste it to the "Total Reimbursable Expenses" description line. That way you will see the Product name description on the Invoice.

hide_markup_on_invoice.PNG

Established Member

I want to markup an item by 20% and do not see the markup box when I try to invoice the customer.  Is there a way to add that similar feature to what you see under expenses when you mark up an expense.

QuickBooks Team

Hello there, SandyB12.

Glad you joined us here in the Community space. I’m here to share some information about mark up in QuickBooks Desktop.

The markup box will only show on your invoices if the item or product you’re using has a markup on it. To add a markup on an item, follow the steps below:
1.    Go to List on the top menu bar.
2.    Select the Item List.
3.    Double-click on the item you want to markup.
4.    Click Edit Markup tab on the right pane.
5.    On the Type of Markup, select Use default (“Percent over Cost”).
6.    Under the Markup Percent, enter 20%.
7.    Click OK to save and close.
8.    Click OK again to exit from the screen.

To mark up items on an invoice by expense type, perform the following:
1.    Click on the Customer menu and select Create Invoices.
2.    Select Customer: Job from the drop-down menu.
3.    Click on Add Time/Costs on the upper portion of the screen.
4.    On the Choose Billable Time and Costs window, navigate to the Expense tab and choose the item expense that you want to mark up.
5.    In the Markup Amount or % field, choose how much you want to mark up the item.
6.    Indicate the revenue account you want to use to track the income in the Markup Account field.
7.    Click OK.

You can also manually change the price if you don’t want to markup all the expense items on an invoice. To do this, leave the Markup Amount field blank and change the number of items in the Amount column. However, if you do this, QuickBooks will recognize the markup as an additional expense rather than a business profit.

By following the steps above, you should be able to use markup on your invoices in QuickBooks Desktop.

Please let me know if you need anything else. I’ll be around to help. Wishing you and your business success!

DBH
Experienced Member

Hello. I tried to follow the instructions listed, but am unable to see the tab "Edit Markup" on the right pane. Is there something I need to do to make this option appear? Thank you.

Community Manager

Hello DBH,

The Edit Markup link that my colleague is referring to can only be seen if you have the QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise. Other QuickBooks Desktop versions don't have this feature. You can only set up a default markup percentage in the Edit>Preferences (Time & Expenses) setting. 

@vpcontroller has provided you the accurate answer how to hide the markup percentage when printing invoices. However, you can't edit the markup percentage when creating an invoice.

If you have any questions, please let us know. We're here to help. 

ProAdvisor

Thanks for clarifying,  @GarlynGay !

This was related to the following answering below by  @KhimG :

"The markup box will only show on your invoices if the item or product you’re using has a markup on it. To add a markup on an item, follow the steps below:
1. Go to List on the top menu bar.
2. Select the Item List.
3. Double-click on the item you want to markup.
4. Click Edit Markup tab on the right pane.
5. On the Type of Markup, select Use default (“Percent over Cost”).
6. Under the Markup Percent, enter 20%.
7. Click OK to save and close.
8. Click OK again to exit from the screen. "

If this was copy/paste answer, I'd suggest also providing the URL link to that QuickBooks Help article. That helps, I think!

DBH
Experienced Member

Thank you GarlynGay.

So here's what I'm looking to do. I have a client who uses the Premier Contractor desktop version. I'd like to create an invoice for time and materials, with the option of marking up each Item (used for job costing), rather than a mark-up on the subtotal of all items. Is there a way to do this? 

Thanks for the help!

QuickBooks Team

Thank you for getting back into this thread, @DBH.

I can share some more insights about creating an invoice for time and materials while using Premier Contractor desktop version.

As mentioned by my colleague, lower versions of QuickBooks don't have the option to add a markup each item. QuickBooks Premier only has a default markup percentage. 

I like your idea, and I personally sent it to our engineers. They consider updates according to all our customer's business need. I advise you to do the same for this request to have more votes.

Here's how to send feedback:

1. Click the Help menu bar.
  2. Scroll down to Send Feedback Online.
  3. Select Product Suggestion.
  4. Select Product Suggestion for the Type of Feedback.
  5. Product Area is optional.
  6. Enter your suggestion.
  7. Click Send Feedback.

Let me know if you have additional questions about this or anything concerning QuickBooks. I'm always around to help. Have a good one.

Highlighted
Community Manager

Hi DBH,

Thanks for the clarification.

Since the Edit Markup function isn't available for QuickBooks Desktop Premier, you can try to create different items, and name them Markup for Time Spend in Working for this and that. You'll then add them when creating an invoice. Please note that these items can't be hide from the customers. 

Let us know if you need anything else.