cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

QuickBooks online - can we get a backup

I have a client that wants to use a 3rd party software to handle donations.    This other company is asking for a backup of the QuickBooks online file.  How would we get that?  I suggested importing the customer names through excel but they didn't seem to want that option.

8 Comments
ProAdvisor

Re: QuickBooks online - can we get a backup

@RJeffery

It is available via an outside app.  I use Chronobooks but there are others.  

Lynda

QuickBooks Team

Welcome to the Intuit Community space, RJeffrey.

I'm here to share some information about how the QuickBooks Online version works.

Since QBO is a cloud-based program, the system automatically backs up data on a bank-level security. You only have the ability to create a backup through the desktop version of QuickBooks.

For more information about your data, you can visit this article:

Do I need to backup my data with QuickBooks Online?

If you have any questions about your QuickBooks product, please let me know. I'll be around to help.

Established Community Backer ***

@RJeffery

Short answer is no

there is no back up for QBO at all from the user standpoint

the third party app is not a back up, it is  a snapshot, and as I understand it,  it can not be used to do anything  other than restore the company file it was made from.

ProAdvisor

Hello again @RJeffery:  I think I was assuming you wanted a backup because you are connecting an outside app and (it is actually something I recommend) that you wanted a backup in case the import from the outside service brings in what I affectionately call "garbage".   You can roll back the date and go back to an earlier time in QBO.  

What @Rustler said is correct about using an app like Chronobooks.  It is not like what the QB team offered.  

I caution you on backing up to qb desktop as it has its limitations for sure.  The last 2 files I converted back to desktop for a backup required me to spend an hour on the phone and support had to log in with me.  We had to switch from IE 11 on my pc to IE9 to get it to work.  It was painful.    If you do try the backup that the team suggested, try to restore it to see what you get for data.  Compare the two (online v Desktop).

Lynda

Frequent Explorer *

Great question @RJeffery! I work for Rewind, a good solution for automatic QBO backups.

RE @Rustler's comment about third-party apps not being a backup, but a snapshot: I cannot speak for Chronobooks, but Rewind is not a snapshot app. Rewind actually backs up each individual item and can restore at the item level. You are able to view your backed up items within your Rewind Vault.

Hope that helps - happy to answer any questions you might have!

ProAdvisor

@henrycabrown:  I love learning about new apps.  Can you backup a qbo and restore it to a new qbo file with your program?

Lynda

Frequent Explorer *

Love to hear that @lynda - nice to meet you! Unfortunately that's not something Rewind is able to do yet. You're not the first person to ask us though, and we intend to add it to the app next year. Stay tuned Smiley Happy 

Highlighted
ProAdvisor

That would make your app phenomenal!  Going back to desktop is rather painful right now. 

I will check out your app for sure!

Lynda