cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Established Member
Solved

Quickbooks changed their invoice template once again!

I need help....called but nothing has been resolved.

Can not find the old template invoice that I have been using for the past 6 years.

Went in this morning and they changed the invoice design ( once again ! )

Once in a while, Qbo wants us to use their custom invoices .

I don't want to do that .

I went into " custom form styles  " and can not find the older, traditional, professional type of invoice that i am used to.

The " standard " is not the older version but a new/ugly one.

Please help!!!!

Best answer 10-10-2017 12:00 PM

Accepted Solutions
ProAdvisor

Re: Quickbooks changed their invoice template once again!

@sissibel

This is not to disappoint anyone but classic-look sales form is gone, not coming back. They have replaced it new sales form styles, it's been around for a while but they're just rolling out to more QBO users. I just wish Intuit give some ALERT notice before they do this type of big migration but they hardly listen to us anyway.

For more information regarding New sales form styles and customization options article, click here. They offer five different sales form templates (Airy, Modern, Fresh, Bold, Fresh). Select one or two that works for your business.

+++++

2017-10-10.pngCustom Form Styles

24 Comments
Established Member

Just found out that they emoved the classic look.

Why ????

we will never know....

Qbo needs to stop making unnecessary changes all the time

sissibel wrote:

I need help....called but nothing has been resolved.

Can not find the old template invoice that I have been using for the past 6 years.

Went in this morning and they changed the invoice design ( once again ! )

Once in a while, Qbo wants us to use their costum invoices .

I don't want to do that .

I went into " custom form styles  " and can not find the older, traditional, profesional type of invoice that i am used to.

The " standart " is not the older version but a new/ugly one.

Please help!!!!

ProAdvisor

@sissibel

This is not to disappoint anyone but classic-look sales form is gone, not coming back. They have replaced it new sales form styles, it's been around for a while but they're just rolling out to more QBO users. I just wish Intuit give some ALERT notice before they do this type of big migration but they hardly listen to us anyway.

For more information regarding New sales form styles and customization options article, click here. They offer five different sales form templates (Airy, Modern, Fresh, Bold, Fresh). Select one or two that works for your business.

+++++

2017-10-10.pngCustom Form Styles

Joe
Frequent Explorer *

Change, in itself, is not always bad. However, change that hinders workflow is bad. Change that is unexpected can be upsetting. Change that makes the QBO customer feel or look unprofessional can be frustrating.

In another recent invoice-related community thread, QBO support mentioned they want customers to better be able to manage their brand. QBO customers using the classic design had an invoice brand. Now the classic design seems to be gone. Based on what I've experienced in the invoice designer, unless I've overlooked something simple, the customer may not be able to edit the provided invoice templates to desired format.

I'm surprised more people haven't mentioned the recent change to invoices. Maybe there was a recent reminder announcement some of us missed? Maybe other people don't have problems with the new format, or figured a way to edit the provided templates to look the way they want? If the latter is the case, can support help those of us running into problems out?

Established Community Backer ***

Hello everyone, 

I appreciate you posting about your concerns regarding the invoice templates. 

You should've seen in-product alerts and email notifications 30 days prior, 7 days prior, and the day of the switch. The QuickBooks support team has also posted helpful tutorials the past couple of months, showing users how to use the Custom Form Styles feature to personalize those invoices: https://quickbooks.intuit.com/tutorials/lessons/customize-invoice/. 

If you'd like to personalize your invoices even further, please feel free to import your own template from Microsoft Word. The following article has instructions on how to do so: https://community.intuit.com/articles/1145368. 

If you need help with these features, please let me know. I'm always happy to lend a hand. 

Established Member

Re: Quickbooks changed their invoice template once again! Fix It Now

Quickbooks needs to set this up for us . The old data is also gone if they dont fix this issue (no one even got a warning).  Just look at an old file its totally diffrent now. I will be charging my credit card back the max if this isnt corrected .

I dont want or have time to sepend messing with this. Why do we pay 120 per month for this lack of support this is a big deal they tried to just roll over on us all but start charging back it will get thier attention.

Dont make us jump through hoops to keep using this prodouct.

luke

I'm surprised more people haven't mentioned the recent change to invoices.

Probaby because the data entry screen has remained the same (at least mine has). If you are ssending invoices via email you don't even see them and when you open an existing invoice on your screen it will always look different thann what is sent or even printed

Joe
Frequent Explorer *

Thank you for your attention, @AliciaRoy.

>...use the Custom Form Styles feature to personalize those invoices

Do you have inside information regarding when the Description column width slider will work when customizing invoice templates? Referencehttps://community.intuit.com/questions/1627315-how-do-i-make-the-description-column-width-wider

>...please feel free to import your own template from Microsoft Word...

I didn't create the invoice template I've used over the past four years to begin with. I also have very, very little interest in the process of creating an invoice template in Word, setting data fields, importing, and troubleshooting.

If importing a template from Word is support's default response, then please provide customers either with an importable template from our previsously selected default invoice form, bring back the ability use the old (albeit not airy, bold or modern looking) old template, or allow for proper modification of basic data field objects.

Hi Joe. 

You can change the width of the Description column by adjusting the Activity column. It's a great idea to have pre-made templates for users, and the engineers love hearing feedback like this: http://feedback.qbo.intuit.com/. 

Joe
Frequent Explorer *

>You can change the width of the Description column by adjusting the Activity column.

@AliciaRoy,

Regarding Activity column, do you mean column 'Product/Services' (which has a label of Activity) or column 'Description' (which also has a label of Activity)? I am only able to adjust width for column Product/Service. I am not able to independently adjust column Description width. I've attached a screenshot.

Using your QBO portal client test login, are you able to change column width for Description independently from Product/Services?

Further, I have been unable to adjust column width to anything other than a value of '55' for the past two (2) hours. Any column width adjustment jumps to '55', then the slider locks at '55'. No other column wifdth adjustment can be made. This occurs in three browsers.

While the activity column under the description section is grayed out, the Activity column associated with Products & Services is what will need to be used. If you include the description on the products & services line, they'll be listed together. 

I was able to pull up my own account, and none of the sliding bars should appear as black squares as they do in the screenshot provided. I appreciate the troubleshooting you've done so far to try and get this resolved. Can you please let me know if this happens on other devices, or if clearing cache and running the Intuit Browser Health Checkup helps? 

Thank you for your time.

Community Contributor *

But not everyone is ok with using Product/Services because of the headers that it forces onto your invoice that you can't change.

The actual fix for that issue - how to get the Description column to be wider when the bar is grayed out is FIXABLE...  since you aren't aware how to do that and just gave the user incorrect information then QB's apparently isn't keeping the mods here aware of  the new changes which is VERY frustrating.

In order to adjust the columns when you want to use DESCRIPTION and not use Product/Services - slide the AMOUNT over so that column becomes smaller - if you watch your description column grayed out bar you'll notice it moving automatically.

Hope this actually resolves your issue!

Has anyone come across a way to resolve these issues:

You can't alter QB's STANDARD template to actually print in the window envelopes that are purchased by INTUIT??  picture attached

I called and spoke to customer service today for over 3 hours along with having them share screen to go thru each issue. They were not able to resolve any issue as they are all development team issues. I was all but told there is nothing that can be done except to switch software/accounting companies - that reverting to the Classic Template wasn't within anyones power that I could speak too. The rep walked thru each and every thing thru share screen including creating an custom invoice, marking fields w/chevrons, upload, mapping each field etc. just to confirm what i already knew that neither the standard nor custom invoices are working correctly.

All past invoices automatically defaulted to a new template - these were the records for my clients - I am expected to submit quarterly / annual "paid" copies of their invoices - they no longer resemble the original documents I created. QuickBooks has altered my clients records.

Current templates do not line up to print in Intuit purchased window invoicing/form envelopes

Only "Fresh" template has lines to separate items added to invoices, line color can't be altered, If terms etc. are not used then empty block remains on invoice, separation lines appear on the last item of some pages - not on all pages. Total due, invoice #'s etc. appear in White - the color of the boxes it is contained in bleed into the white obscuring the words/numbers.

All other templates (airy, modern etc.) have no separation so billable items have no distinction causing them to appear as one run on item. Very hard to distinguish. No way to alter spacing between items within the edit function. Classic template had bullet points for each item.

Logo will no longer appear above address to show thru Intuit window envelopes - if put on the left it now forces the address to the center of the invoice.

Standard templates will not show an Invoice Total if a partial payment is applied it will show the payment and total amount due 
- So our clients are now supposed to add up the total for their invoices?!? The classic template would have the Invoice total, payment amount then the Balance Due (you can not map this to happen on a custom imported style either)

Continued on next page was removed from the new standard templates - pages now abruptly end on each page.

Page numbers no longer print on the standard templates

QuickBooks fix is to create and import a custom style so i spent THREE days customizing an invoice that works for us only to find out that there are issues as well.

Issues with the custom style are as follows:

Invoice subtotal - not mapable. If a payment is applied to an invoice there is no invoice total able to be mapped - it will be blank if you try any of the amount map options. If you use the Total/Balance Due etc. it will just put in the same amount as listed on Balance Due. You can't have an Invoice total listed, payment received amount and a balance due on the bottom - it won't map out. The standard template/style provided by QB's will not list an invoice total either as addressed above.

You can't create or upload more than the 1 page which means that No header (Description, qty, Amount etc.) will appear on page 2, 3, etc.

If part of a billable item will fit on page 1 QuickBooks will wrap the remaining part to page 2 splitting that item in half rather than pushing the entire item to the next page like a standard template does.

Custom Field for items like Terms/ Service Address / Reference / Next scheduled date etc. will print out even if you don't fill them in on the invoice the words just print out randomly. The standard template knows to eliminate the custom fields if they are blank.

I can keep going on about the issues that have arisen since QB's abruptly removed the template we were using for years .. but lets see if you can fix this list of issues for starters?

I've attached a pic of how a QB's invoice with the standard "fresh" template now lines up in an Intuit window invoice envelope of which I have purchased a ton...

Joe
Frequent Explorer *

@AliciaRoy,

I checked out http://feedback.qbo.intuit.com/  It looks like column sizing and importing custom templates have been an issue or requested since 2012. The invoice column sizing issue seems to have had a recent support resurgence, as the latest update rolled out, removing the old default invoice template.

Those of us posting about not being able to adjust the size of the description/activity field column, without including an unwanted product-service header, are not asking for anything unique or outside the realm of possibility. The pre-made template that was the previous standard invoice template managed to work out-of-the-box, without importing a custom .docx form.

Legacy requests and issues aside, the latest update has been challenging.

More options to customize invoice and sales form templates [feedback.qbo]

July 06, 2012 - 6,337 votes - Last Admin response: July 03, 2015

Adjust Width of Description Column on Invoice [feedback.qbo]
July 23, 2017

Make Description Column Adjustable [feedback.qbo]
July 25, 2017

Invoice layout change this morning???? [qbocommunity]

October 06, 2017

Invoice Changes - October 2017 [qbcommunity]

October 10, 2017

Invoice - ability to amend size of Activity column [feedback.qbo]
October 11, 2017

Allow customization of column widths on forms [feedback.qbo]
October 12, 2017

Joe
Frequent Explorer *

>In order to adjust the columns when you want to use DESCRIPTION

>and not use Product/Services - slide the AMOUNT over so that column

>becomes smaller - if you watch your description column grayed out bar

>you'll notice it moving automatically.

The following may be similar to what you were talking about @JTCEstates.

The column width setting in the template stuck from one computer to another, and made an Airy invoice print preview look 'acceptable'. The Description column width allows for a lot of horizontal text, and there's no unwanted Product/Service detail.

Used Chrome v61.0.3163.100

• Click Gear Menu
  • Click Custom Form Styles
  • Edit custom or master invoice template
  • Click [Content]
  • Select middle template field (with Date, Activity, Qty, Amount)
  • Click 'Edit Labels and Widths' to enable width sliders
  • Check [X] Date, [X] Product/Service, [X] Description, [X] Quantity, [X] Amount
    • Slide Product/Service column width to the right
    • Slide Date column width to the left
    • Slide Quantity column width slider to the left
    • Uncheck [  ] Product/Service
  • My Description width slider remained 'stuck' at an acceptable width
  • Click [Done]
Experienced Member

I want the classic style back !!!

Hi markgfoti, 

I'd be happy to help you become acquainted with the new templates so you ca customize them to your company's liking. Please see my replies above for tips and tricks on customizing your sales forms. 

For those concerned about the envelope windows, the following instructions will allow you to turn this setting on: 

• Go to the Gear icon at the top right corner of your screen. 
  • Select Custom Form Styles
  • Click Edit on the right side of the column. 
  • At the bottom of the page, click Edit print settings
  • Check off the box next to Fit printed form with pay-stub in window envelope. The program will edit the font and placement so that the info fits the window. If these settings were adjusted, let's put them back to the original setup so that it fits properly. 
  • Once you're finished editing, click Done

I'd also like to ensure all guidelines in this article are being followed: https://community.intuit.com/articles/1616139-print-forms-for-window-envelopes. If you let me know the template you're currently using, I can also share the recommended font size.

If the steps above do not work for you, please reach out to the QuickBooks Online support team so they can either help get this resolved, or escalate the issue if needed. The following article has their phone number and hours of operation: https://community.intuit.com/articles/1145770. 

Community Contributor *

I'm one of those concerned since i have a ton of Intuit purchased window envelopes and @AliciaRoy if could recheck your information, follow the instructions your linked, check the "Fit printed form with payslip in window envelope" box  and actually print them out then you'll see they don't line up with the Intuit window envelopes  for either the invoice being sent out to the customer or them using the detached portion to return with payment.  

I just retried all the templates  following the instructions you linked and attached is a picture of what it looks like in the envelope when you use the "Fit printed form with payslip in window envelope" .. to be fair i started with a brand new style and didn't use a logo just to make sure nothing was inadvertantly affecting the templates.

I also did a share screen with Quickbooks and they were not able to get them to print and line up with or without the Fit with paystub.

Even if this did work it still creates a new issue of adding the "Paystub" to each invoice that says "Please detach top portion and return with your payment"  if you don't want that option then what?  In my opinion and for my clients it  leaves them with an incomplete portion of their invoice since important information doesn't appear in both the tear portion and the remaining invoice like company name, invoice number, invoice date, service address etc.   Not to mention it's frustrating when the paper isn't already perforated.

Community Contributor *

Yep @Joe  that's what i found as well. It's at least an acceptable work around just takes a bit of messing with the bars to get the description column to widen but eventually it worksand a lot better for me than using  Product/Service since i don't like the headers appearing.

Just really frustrating to have to try and find fixes and work arounds for something that wasn't broken. 

Experienced Member

Amen to that!  I assume you haven't seen an importable version?  I wish I could find someone to just create the daggone thing for me!

Experienced Member

We didn't receive any notifications. Our invoices are a mess. The service date isn't printing. The Bill To field is small and the address is wrapping around several lines. The Activity field appears to be large but is too small and wrapping around several lines. The Invoices look awful. I've been on the phone every day and they aren't able to figure it out either. Any recommendations?

Experienced Member

Excellent! when customization option / facaility is available, then there shouldn't be any problem.

Established Member

yes i would like a hand please....Our paperwork trail is such that a customer makes an enquiry. We need to send out a QUOTATION, customer likes and sends an order. We send a CONFIRMATION OF ORDER. Customer reads and checks it is what they wanted. We send an INVOICE. they pay. We deliver and on that delivery we need a DELIVERY NOTE that has some where on it the ability to sign and print thier name. on the old quickbooks cd software I had each of these slightly different forms. I need to be able to replicate each one. I would really appreciate your help - thank you

Established Member

Oh and I am that bad at these chat things I will have no idea if you have replied - how will I know?

QuickBooks Team

Hi there saharvey67,

Thanks for reaching out here in the Community for support. I'm glad to lend a hand with replicating these forms for your customers.

QuickBooks Online offers all of these forms. First, an Estimate will take place of the Quotation as well as Confirmation of Order. Estimates are used when you want to give your customer a quote, bid, or proposal for work you plan to do. Here's an article that explains how to create and when to use estimates: https://community.intuit.com/articles/1145302-estimates-setup-function-and-common-questions.

Invoices will be used the same way to bill your customers for products and services. Take a look at this article that explains how you can generate and send invoices: https://community.intuit.com/articles/1614723-create-an-invoice.

Lastly, a delivery note or packing slip can be printed by:

1. Click Sales in the left navigation bar.

2. Select Customers at the top of the page.
2. Choose the customer to display a list of their transactions.
3. Check the boxes next to each invoice or sales receipt for which you want to print a Packing Slip/Delivery Note.
4. Click the Batch Actions drop-down at the top of the list and select Print Packing Slip/Delivery Note
5. The print preview screen will open so you can select printing options, preview and print.

There isn't a line for the customer to print, sign, and date on the packing slip but there's still plenty of room for them to write this information in.

These steps and tips will get you back to business in no time. Keep up the great work and please let me know if I can help with anything else.

Also, you'll get an email notification letting you know there has been a response to your post. Smiley Happy

Links provided no longer work. "Page not found" error.