Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Experienced Member
Solved

Receive Payment without Invoice

Hello,

I am on QB Desktop Pro 2018 and I hope this is a simple question.

I'm doing my bank rec and a customer made a payment but didn't specify the invoice(s) it pays. Can I just receive payment and go back and mark the invoice as paid later? 

Thanks for your help!

Best answer 01-17-2019 08:26 AM

Accepted Solutions
Established Community Backer ***

Re: Receive Payment without Invoice

Sure.  If they have that many invoices that it doesn't match up.

Click on the Customer drop down and then Receive Payment.  After you've filled in the Customer and Amount QBs will try to match the amount to an open Invoice.  If you're not sure which invoice, just UNcheck the boxes.

Click on Save & Close and you'll get a warning box.  In this case you do not need a Credit Memo so just click OK.

When you find out from the Customer which Invoice the payment goes to, open that Invoice.  Click on Receive Payment (upper Right) and the Payment screen will appear again.  Check the Invoice in the lower section and then Save & Close.

5 Comments

there is no mark as paid in desktop, receive the payment against the oldest invoice that the amount matches the payment

Sure.  If they have that many invoices that it doesn't match up.

Click on the Customer drop down and then Receive Payment.  After you've filled in the Customer and Amount QBs will try to match the amount to an open Invoice.  If you're not sure which invoice, just UNcheck the boxes.

Click on Save & Close and you'll get a warning box.  In this case you do not need a Credit Memo so just click OK.

When you find out from the Customer which Invoice the payment goes to, open that Invoice.  Click on Receive Payment (upper Right) and the Payment screen will appear again.  Check the Invoice in the lower section and then Save & Close.

Experienced Member

Unfortunately, since they're an international company and payments come from dozens of places they don't always pay invoices in the right order. I'm sure it matches some combination of invoices but it could be hundreds of combinations. I asked for details of the payment so I'll wait for that and move on with my bank rec. 
Thanks for your answer!

Experienced Member

Thanks for explaining it. They send payments in different amounts at different times for different invoices. Usually with no rhyme or reason! 

QuickBooks Team

Hi, @pmack007.

Based on your given scenario, @PeteMc is right. When you receive the payment, you can record that by clicking the Receive Payments option in QuickBooks. This will be applied later, once the services have been rendered and the invoice is generated. 

Feel free to visit the Community again if you have additional questions. Have a good one.