cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
InsideoutDA
Level 1

Refund a bank transfer payment

A customer paid me over the phone using what I believe is called a bank transfer.  Meaning, I manually input their routing and checking numbers.  I need to refund this payment.  How?

Thanks!

Solved
Best answer October 29, 2018

Best Answers
Charies_M

Hello there, @InsideoutDA.

Let's get this straightened out.

Aside from doing a Transaction Search in the Merchant Service Center, we can search using the existing Check Transaction. I'd be glad to walk you through how:

1. Sign in on the Merchant Service Center Portal.
  2. From the Processing Tools section, select Void an eCheck.
  3. Select the appropriate eCheck to void.
  4. Click Submit.

Please know that if the transaction is not available, this can no longer be voided.

Here's an article that outlines a detailed information about voiding a check transaction within Merchant Service Center.

Should you have other queries about processing a refund for a bank transfer payment, just let me know as I'm here to help.

View solution in original post

19 Comments 19
MaryGraceS

Welcome to the QuickBooks Community, @InsideoutDA.

I'm here to share the steps on how you can process a refund in your QuickBooks Payments account.

Here's how:

1. Sign in to your QuickBooks Payments account.
  2. From the Processing Tools drop-down, select Reverse a Transaction.
  3. Fill out the necessary fields.
  4. Click Search.
  5. Select the transaction(s) you want to refund, then Submit.

If you wish to print a receipt, you can also do that in your account.

Here's how:

1. On the homepage, click the Activity & Reports drop-down.
  2. Select Transactions.
  3. Enter the appropriate date range then select Search.
  4. On the list of results, identify the desired transaction you want to print.
  5. Select the Gear icon of your desired transaction and select View Receipt.
  6. Select Print.

For additional help, you can also reach out to our Merchant Support. They can initiate a screen sharing session to help you further.

Here's how you can reach them: QuickBooks merchant services or QuickBooks Online support - who should I contact for help?

That should do it. Drop a comment below if you have any other questions about processing a refund for a bank transfer payment. I'll be happy to help you out.

InsideoutDA
Level 1

Thanks for your help.

I don't see this particular transaction when I do the search.  Maybe because it wasn't a credit card? I do see it on my list of transactions, but not on the list to reverse a transaction.

Charies_M

Hello there, @InsideoutDA.

Let's get this straightened out.

Aside from doing a Transaction Search in the Merchant Service Center, we can search using the existing Check Transaction. I'd be glad to walk you through how:

1. Sign in on the Merchant Service Center Portal.
  2. From the Processing Tools section, select Void an eCheck.
  3. Select the appropriate eCheck to void.
  4. Click Submit.

Please know that if the transaction is not available, this can no longer be voided.

Here's an article that outlines a detailed information about voiding a check transaction within Merchant Service Center.

Should you have other queries about processing a refund for a bank transfer payment, just let me know as I'm here to help.

jenuneekor
Level 4

Hello! I have a similar issue. I created a test transaction in Quickbooks Online - I created an invoice and then paid it from a personal account with sales tax to test. I then went into Merchant Services but was unable to void the echeck. Now it is past the period in which I can void it. How do I properly cancel or refund the payment through Quickbooks  Online / Quickbooks Merchant Account to refund the money and delete the invoice? I've tried several different methods and can't figure it out, and my Quickbooks Rep has not responded in over a week. Thank you.

BettyJaneB
QuickBooks Team

Hello and welcome to the Community, @jenuneekor.

I'd be happy to walk you through in creating a refund for the payment that you made through merchant services in QuickBooks Online.

Creating a refund for payments can be done in just a few clicks. Here's how:

1. Find and open the original invoice payment.
  2. Click Issue Refund button at the top right; or, click More at the bottom of the page, then Refund.
  3. Click Yes, refund payment.  This will appear to be a final step - it is not - you will have the option to make adjustments to the amount/items being refunded in the next step.
  4. A new Refund Receipt will open.
  5. Confirm the refund amount, then click Save and Close to process the refund back to the credit card.

To get more information about this process, please refer to these articles: 

However, if you need further assistance with the steps, I'd re comment getting in touch with our Merchant Services Department. They have the necessary tools that can guide you through the steps. 

Please let me know how it goes. I want to ensure you're all set. Have a great week.

jenuneekor
Level 4

Hi BettyJane,

Thank you so much for your fast response! I found "More" at the bottom of the screen and clicked "Refund," and got this message:

Something's not quite right
This transaction has already settled. To issue a refund, process a refund receipt with a different payment method.

Could you possibly provide instructions from here? If I create a refund receipt for the product and the sales tax and submit will that take care of it?
Thank you!
IamjuViel
QuickBooks Team

Hello there, @jenuneekor.

Regardless of the payment method, let's make sure to choose the same bank account when processing a refund receipt. Let me provide you with steps on how to achieve this.

Here's how:

1. Click the Plus Icon (+).
  2. Choose Refund Receipt.
  3. Select the name of the customer.
  4. Enter the complete details of the refund.
  5. Make sure to put a check mark on the Taxable column.
  6. Click Save and Close.

That should do it! For additional insights, you may check these articles:

Keep me posted if you have other questions about processing refund to to your customer. I'm just a post away.

jenuneekor
Level 4

Thank you so much! This worked!

jenuneekor
Level 4

Hello! I have one follow up question, I'm hoping you can help me with. I did create the refund receipt and send it, and I selected to refund from a particular bank account via bank transfer. However, I don't see the money out of the company out (the refund) or back in the customer account. Are there more steps I need to take after creating the refund receipt? I assumed that created the receipt and actually processed the refund and there were no additional steps. Wondering now if that was right :) Thank you!

KhimG
QuickBooks Team

Thanks for getting back to us, @jenuneekor.

The steps shared by my colleague @IamjuViel for using a refund receipt in QuickBooks Online are for recording purposes only. You need to send an actual refund to the customer’s account to reverse the transaction.

Here’s how:

1. Log in to QuickBooks Payments.
  2. Click the Processing Tools drop-down and select Reverse a Transaction.
  3. Enter the details asked and click Search.
  4. Select the transaction you want to reverse and refund.
  5. Hit Submit.

payments 1.PNGpayments 2.PNG

Check out the Void or fully refund a transaction section in this article for more information: Void or refund transactions in QuickBooks Payments

That should get you pointed in the right direction.

Keep me updated on how that goes. I’m always here to keep helping. Have a good one!

jenuneekor
Level 4

Hi KhimG! Thank you so much for getting back with me. From the beginning when I first placed the transaction, when I went into "reverse transaction" the transaction wasn't listed. It still isn't listed there. The payment was made via ACH initially, not sure if this makes a difference?

Thank you very much!

Jen 

JaneD

Allow me to step in, jenuneekor.

I'm here to provide a few details with reversing an ACH transaction.

The option to reverse ACH transactions that have already been funded is currently unavailable in Merchant Services. I recommend reaching out to our Payments Support Team. They have more tools to reverse it for you.

Here's how:

1. Sign in to QBO.
  2. Go to Help
  3. Click on Contact us.
  4. Enter your concern and select Let's talk.
  5. Choose either Get a callback or Message an agent.

This should point you in the right direction. Please let me know if you have further questions. I'll be around. Have a great day.

SyncoHanna
Level 1

How do we refund a bank transfer payment if the window of opportunity on voiding it has closed?

PreciousB

Thanks for reaching out to the Community, @SyncoHanna.

We are unable to process a refund for bank transfer payments that have already been funded. You'll have to issue it by cash or other means on your end.

Should you want to explore more options on how to process this, please give us a call. Our Merchant Services Team has the resources and tools to help reverse a bank transfer payment. We’re here to help whenever you need one.

Here's the link for our contact information: QuickBooks Payments.

In case you need tips and related articles in the future, visit our QuickBooks Community help website for reference: QBO Self-help

This should help you get on the right track.

Let me know how it goes after contacting them. I want to make sure you’re able to process a refund. Best regards.

sb241
Level 1

What happens when the transaction is no longer available and it's not showing up in the list of available echecks to avoid? I ran a bank transfer and seven days later it's still not letting me refund the transfer. 

Candice C
QuickBooks Team

Hey there, @sb241

It's great to see a new face here in the Community. Since you're not able to locate the transaction in the list, then I recommend contacting our Merchant Service Support Team. They have additional tools to look further into your account to see what's causing this to happen. They'll also be able to help you refund the transfer after locating the transaction. 

Here's how: 

1. Open QuickBooks. 
  2. Go to the Help icon. 
  3. Click the Contact Us button. 
  4. Type in your question and press Let's Talk
  5. Scroll down and choose to Get a callback

It's that simple! 

Let me know how it goes. I want to ensure that you get back to running your business. Take care!

Landers2627
Level 1

I need to refund my vendor 

Rubielyn_J
QuickBooks Team

I'd be glad to help record a vendor refund, @Landers2627.

To do this, you'll need to create a vendor credit to ensure the credit hits the expense account you use for this vendor.

Here's how:

1. Go to the + New button.
  2. Select Vendor credit.
  3. In the Vendor dropdown, choose your vendor.
  4. Depending on how you record purchases with this vendor, enter the Category details or Item details
  5. Click Save and close once done.

You may also check this reference for additional information:  How do I handle vendor credits and refunds?.

For future reference, you may check this article about vendor reports in QuickBooks Online: Customize vendor reports.

Please fill me in if you have other queries. I'm always here to help you. Keep safe always. 

Brian587
Level 1

Hello how can we correct a QBO and customer error.  

Customer paid thru email online bank transfer.  NSF Day of transfer bank reversed payment to us and charged a fee.   QuickBooks however shows invoice paid.   

we invoiced the customer again with new invoice as they would see it showing paid on email still and could not pay otherwise.   So customer did make the payment …. But QuickBooks has it recorded as 2 payments into my checking in reality it was only 1 deposit.      I tried to delete the original invoice and QuickBooks does not allow it.    So we voided the transaction and now the customer has a credit on their account.   

so how do we correct this ?   Need to correct my checking and sales which both are wrong for overpayment amount that we did not get ?  

my cpa said just create a new invoice to get rid of the credit and I said then my sales are wrong and so is my checking.   So I need some help 

Need to get in touch?

Contact us