cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kw1234
Level 1

Refund

I issued a refund receipt to a customer and now the customer has a credit on their account and the refund doesn't show up on the register in quickbooks. Why is that?

8 Comments 8
Kristine Mae

Refund

It seems like you've created a credit memo instead of a refund receipt, kw1234.

A credit memo will create an unapplied credit on the customer's account and it will not show up on the register. We'll have to delete it and create a refund receipt. Let me guide you with the steps.

First, here's how you can delete it:

1. Click Sales, then go to the Customers tab.
  2. Look for the customer, then click to open the profile.
  3. Open the credit memo.
  4. Click More, then choose Delete.
  5. You'll receive a message, "Are you sure you want to delete this?", click Yes.

Then, here's how to create the refund receipt:

1. Click the Plus sign (+) icon.
  2. Choose Refund Receipt.
  3. Fill in the necessary fields.
  4. Click Save and close

You can check this article for future reference: Apply a credit memo, credit or refund to a customer.

I'll be around if you need more help with this. Have a great day! 

roysco
Level 1

Refund

Hi,

I use desktop for MAC. I sell goods online. I'm trying to refund a customer. I can only enter a credit memo. Under customers I select Create Credit Memo/Refunds and the Credit Memo window pops up, I enter the customer name and product and Save. That is it. There is no Refund selection. I also would prefer to apply the refund to a customers specific order. 

Help!

MariaAlmaT
QuickBooks Team

Refund

Hello there, @roysco.

Thanks for allowing us to resolve your concern. I can help you apply the credit memo to your customer's unpaid invoice.

Creating a credit memo will affect your customers' balance, but will not affect the invoices until it's manually applied. This will remain as their outstanding credit. You can use it as a refund and apply it to future invoices.

There will be no refund selection after entering a credit memo, thus you'll use the Receive Payments window to affect on an existing or future invoices.

To apply the credit memo to a customer's invoice:

1. Go to the Receive Payments.
  2. At the bottom right, check the box for Apply Existing Credits?.
  3. A pop-up window shows the credit memo, choose to apply as a payment.

Also, I've attached a screenshot below for your reference.

Apply Existing Credit.jpg

This should provide you information about how to apply a credit memo as refund to a customer. Let me know how things go and if there's anything else you need from me. I'm always here to help in any way I can. Have a great rest of your day!

roysco
Level 1

Refund

Hi, 

Thank you for your response. Sorry to be confused but there is no unpaid invoice. I sell online via shopify and customer payment is captured at checkout and credited to my account. So no invoices are created. I create a sales receipt when I receive the order from shopify. 

I need to refund the customer their money that has already been paid. 

Thanks!

MariaAlmaT
QuickBooks Team

Refund

Thanks for the prompt response, @roysco.

I appreciate you clarifying the issue. I have some information about the situation you've laid.

Since you're creating a sales receipt when receiving the order and can only create credit memo, I suggest to release a check for the refund. It's the best possible way you can do to refund a customer.

Here's how:

1. Go to the Write Checks tab.
  2. Select a bank account.
  3. Fill in the necessary information.
  4. Click Save.

The following link contains a video on how to write a check: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCM6DkzZlHMhapQbDxgowbcg.

You should be able to give a refund to your customer with this information. Let me know how things go once you've tried the steps. If there's anything you need, don't hesitate to comment below. I'm always here to help. Have a fruitful day!

roysco
Level 1

Refund

Thank you again! I thought I had this, then I seem to keep opening the proverbial can of worms. 

I wrote a check but there still shows balance in customer account, see attachments. 

Here's the scenario:

Online customer paid $19.99 for product. Product was shipped locally so I charged $1.55 sales tax, + $4.99 shipping. Total $26.53

Customer wants refund, Product refunded, shipping is not refunded. Sales tax is refunded for total refund $21.54. 

I wrote check and picked the item refunded, then it shows $1.55 in the expense tab. What account does that go under? Accounts Payable? How to credit that amount to my sales tax vendor account? 

I think I can get this, but let me know if best to find an accountant. 

Cheers,

Roy

roysco
Level 1

Refund

Thank you again! I thought I had this, then I seem to keep opening the proverbial can of worms. 

I wrote a check but there still shows balance in customer account, see attachments. That will go away once I reconcile?  

Here's the scenario:

Online customer paid $19.99 for product. Product was shipped locally so I charged $1.55 sales tax, + $4.99 shipping. Total $26.53

Customer wants refund, Product refunded, shipping is not refunded. Sales tax is refunded for total refund $21.54. 

I wrote check and picked the item refunded, then it shows $1.55 in the expense tab. What account does that go under? Accounts Payable? How to credit that amount to my sales tax vendor account? 

I think I can get this, but let me know if best to find an accountant. 

Cheers,

Roy

Rose-A

Refund

Greetings, roysco.

I appreciate the screenshot that you've provided. It helps me make sure that I can provide you with the best solution. So let me help you sort this out.

In order to offset the sales tax amount, you’ll need to open the sales receipt and check which sales tax account was used. Then, use the correct sales tax account when writing a check.

For additional assistance, feel free to reach out to our QuickBooks Online Support. You can get our most updated contact number here: https://quickbooks.intuit.com/community/Getting-Started/Get-help-with-QuickBooks-Online/m-p/185932.

Let me know how it goes by leaving a reply below. Have a nice day!

Need to get in touch?

Contact us