cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Experienced Member
Solved

entering a special invoice

I do the books for a townhouse condo association (similar to an HOA).  One unit had a main water pipe break and the water bill was about four times the norm.  This is a tourist town and most owners only come in the summer.  We are billing him for the difference between the normal water bill and this extreme bill.  How do I bill it on an invoice?  I want to be able to apply the payment to water expense when it comes in. 

Thank you,

Lynda

Best answer 05-21-2019

Accepted Solutions
QuickBooks Team

Re: entering a special invoice

Greetings, Lynda.

Let's create a billable expense and add it to an invoice.

Once you create a bill with multiple billable expenses, you have an option to select the outstanding billable expense you want to add when creating an invoice and use the remaining billable expense to be billed in the future. Let me walk you through the steps.

To get started, let's begin by setting up the preferences that'll allow you to mark expenses as billable. Here's how:

1. From the Edit menu, choose Preferences.
  2. Select Time & Expenses.
  3. Go to the Company Preferences tab.
  4. In the Invoicing Options section, check the Mark all expenses as a billable option.
  5. Click OK.

Next, create a bill with multiple billable expenses by following the steps in this article: Enter Bills

Once done, you can now proceed on creating an invoice. Here's how: 

1. Choose the Customer:Job name that you created billable items. 
  2. Click on the Select the outstanding billable time and costs to add this invoice? option on the Billable Time/Costs pop-up window. 
  3. On the Choose Billable Time and Costs window, select Expenses
  4. Make sure to put a check mark on the billable expenses you want to add on your invoice. 
  5. Click OK
  6. Select Save & Close

In case you need tips and related articles in the future, visit our QuickBooks Community help website for reference: QBDT Self-help.

This will get you on the right track. Fill me in if you have additional questions about creating billable items. Wishing you and your business continued success.

2 Comments
QuickBooks Team

Greetings, Lynda.

Let's create a billable expense and add it to an invoice.

Once you create a bill with multiple billable expenses, you have an option to select the outstanding billable expense you want to add when creating an invoice and use the remaining billable expense to be billed in the future. Let me walk you through the steps.

To get started, let's begin by setting up the preferences that'll allow you to mark expenses as billable. Here's how:

1. From the Edit menu, choose Preferences.
  2. Select Time & Expenses.
  3. Go to the Company Preferences tab.
  4. In the Invoicing Options section, check the Mark all expenses as a billable option.
  5. Click OK.

Next, create a bill with multiple billable expenses by following the steps in this article: Enter Bills

Once done, you can now proceed on creating an invoice. Here's how: 

1. Choose the Customer:Job name that you created billable items. 
  2. Click on the Select the outstanding billable time and costs to add this invoice? option on the Billable Time/Costs pop-up window. 
  3. On the Choose Billable Time and Costs window, select Expenses
  4. Make sure to put a check mark on the billable expenses you want to add on your invoice. 
  5. Click OK
  6. Select Save & Close

In case you need tips and related articles in the future, visit our QuickBooks Community help website for reference: QBDT Self-help.

This will get you on the right track. Fill me in if you have additional questions about creating billable items. Wishing you and your business continued success.

Experienced Member

Thank you.  That worked perfectly.