11 Comments
ProAdvisor
Re: We want your feedback on "Converting an estimate into an invoice in QuickBooks Online"

I like this, Lisa.  Maybe do a mini video with it, like the other one?  Some people love a visual.

I would also change “Open the estimate you want to bill for” to “Open the estimate you want to create an invoice for” because “bill” is for vendors in quickbooks and “invoice” is for customers.  

Hope that helps!  Cat Happy

Highlighted
Re: We want your feedback on "Converting an estimate into an invoice in QuickBooks Online"

Thank you Lynda, I know that terminology can definitely cause people to get confused, so that is a great call out.  

I will definitely suggest adding a short video as well.  

Frequent Explorer *

Lots of problems with this article. first of all I coulcnt find the Copy Estimates to Invoices option anywhere. Next, the create invoice button is not present until the status of the estimate is changed to accepted and the estimate saved again. 

After doing some trial and error I figured it out.

Thanks @NextView, those are great call outs and I will make sure our content team is aware of the issues!

ET2
Frequent Explorer *

didn't help me at all... quickbooks is always changing stuff... sometimes i can intuitively click right to what i need... i have created invoices from estimates many times, but now it evades me how to do it... what is the deal????' 

QuickBooks Team

Hello, ET2.

Thanks for following-up on this thread and letting me know about the problem you've encountered. I'd like to help you create invoices from estimates.

To create an invoice from an estimate in QuickBooks Online, you'd first create your estimate as normal by:

1. Clicking the Create (+) icon.

2. Select Estimate.

3. Enter all of the necessary information.

4. Choose Save and Send or Save and Close.

Once the estimate is created:

1. Click the Sales tab from the left navigation bar.

2. Make sure All Sales is selected at the top of the page.

3. Find the newly created estimate in the list.

4. Choose Create invoice under the Action column to the right of the estimate.

5. Enter any necessary additional information.

6. Select Save and Send.

You'll be back to business in no time. I'm here to help if you have any other questions.

Frequent Explorer *

First - there is no "Copy Estimates to Invoices " available.

More importantly - every invoice that was created from converting from an estimate is not being received by my customer!!!! The email address is the same. The invoices I send without an estimate linked are received. WHAT??

QuickBooks Team

Hi there, wencas.

I appreciate you posting to let me know what's going on in your QuickBooks account with estimates and invoices. I'd like to lend a hand.

I've got an article for you that covers the steps on how to covert an estimate to an invoice. You may not be seeing this option due to certain settings. You'll first need to double check how the preferences are set so you're able to do this conversion. You can see all the details on how to get this done here: https://community.intuit.com/articles/1164873-converting-an-estimate-into-an-invoice-in-quickbooks-online.

Concerning the email topic, one tip you may want to try is including your own email in the CC/BCC section of the invoice. You'd then be able to see for sure that the email is being delivered. If this continues to give you trouble, I recommend calling in to speak with a member of the QuickBooks Online Support Team. An agent has the ability to initiate a screen share to work alongside you and determine what's causing this issue. The number to speak with an agent is 1-800-488-7330. The most up-to-date contact information can be found here: https://help.quickbooks.intuit.com/en_US/contact.

I wish you and your business continued success. I'm only a post away if there's anything else I can assist with.

Frequent Explorer *

Hi There

On my version qb10 online there is no progress estimate option. 

I can create estimate but I cannot invoice by line; if I remove lines which I dont need from the invoice my estimate shows as closed. 

Neither I can see what amount/invoice was applied to estimate. 

lots of manual work ! thanks b

Frequent Explorer *

I want to be able to copy and paste the text from the help info and insert into a word document for my procedure manual. I can't copy the text, grrr

@darudm are you trying to copy the text from the help article? It should copy from the browser window just like any other website.  Are you getting an error message?