Solved
Best answer 02-14-2018 12:38 PM

Accepted Solutions
Experienced Member
Re: multi user mode problems with QB

@IUHSfinancewrote:

We are having issues with QB, we have a 5 user licence on QB enterprise and we have been locked in single user mode for 3 to 4 weeks already. QB doesn't seem to help us.

So, I have not posted here before, but I think I can help. Try the following (I am assuming you are in a Windows environment):

On the PC acting as the QuickBooks server you must first go into services:

01 Start.PNG

In Services  locate the QuickBook Services:

02 Services.PNG

Right-Click on "QBCFMonitorService" and choose "Properties" This sould pop up, your "General" tab should look like this:

03 QBCFMS-G.PNG

The "Log On" tab should be set like this:

04 QBCFMS-L.PNG

And the "Recovery" tab should look like this:

05 QBCFMS-R.PNG

Once you have made any changes you might need to make return to the "General" tab and stop and start the service. Then click on [OK] to save the changes you made.

Next you will need to right-click on the next service "QuickBooksDB[##]" and select "Properties". If you have more than one version of QuickBooks installed then you should do the following for each installation... Set your tabs like these:

"General":

06 QBDB-G.PNG

"Log On":

07 QBCFMS-L.PNG

And "Recovery":

08 QBCFMS-R.PNG

Just like before, return to the "General" tab, Stop (if running) and Start the service. Also, just like before, Click on [OK] to save any changes you have made.

You are almost done. Now click on the Windows "Start button" then on "All Programs". Look for the QuickBooks folder:

09 All Prog.PNG

Locate the "QuickBooks Database Server Manager" and click on it to run it:

10 QBSM.PNG

When it opens click on the [Start Scan] button:

11.PNG

When it finishes you can click on the [Close] button.

Get everyone out of QuckBooks and get one user back in and have them switch to MultiUser. It should work now.

Intuit

Hi everyone,

For anything relating to H202/H505 errors (multi-user hosting problems), please see our newly updated article which addresses these errors.

https://community.intuit.com/articles/1502150-how-to-fix-error-h101-h202-h303-or-h505-when-opening-your-company-file-in-quickbooks-desktop

40 Comments
Experienced Member

@IUHSfinancewrote:

We are having issues with QB, we have a 5 user licence on QB enterprise and we have been locked in single user mode for 3 to 4 weeks already. QB doesn't seem to help us.

So, I have not posted here before, but I think I can help. Try the following (I am assuming you are in a Windows environment):

On the PC acting as the QuickBooks server you must first go into services:

01 Start.PNG

In Services  locate the QuickBook Services:

02 Services.PNG

Right-Click on "QBCFMonitorService" and choose "Properties" This sould pop up, your "General" tab should look like this:

03 QBCFMS-G.PNG

The "Log On" tab should be set like this:

04 QBCFMS-L.PNG

And the "Recovery" tab should look like this:

05 QBCFMS-R.PNG

Once you have made any changes you might need to make return to the "General" tab and stop and start the service. Then click on [OK] to save the changes you made.

Next you will need to right-click on the next service "QuickBooksDB[##]" and select "Properties". If you have more than one version of QuickBooks installed then you should do the following for each installation... Set your tabs like these:

"General":

06 QBDB-G.PNG

"Log On":

07 QBCFMS-L.PNG

And "Recovery":

08 QBCFMS-R.PNG

Just like before, return to the "General" tab, Stop (if running) and Start the service. Also, just like before, Click on [OK] to save any changes you have made.

You are almost done. Now click on the Windows "Start button" then on "All Programs". Look for the QuickBooks folder:

09 All Prog.PNG

Locate the "QuickBooks Database Server Manager" and click on it to run it:

10 QBSM.PNG

When it opens click on the [Start Scan] button:

11.PNG

When it finishes you can click on the [Close] button.

Get everyone out of QuckBooks and get one user back in and have them switch to MultiUser. It should work now.

Community Host

@DrewK, this is a phenomenal solution! Have you done this yourself?

Community Explorer *

Unfortunately, an Intuit Help Desk agent tried this with our newly purchased system (multi-user license) but it failed. They stated they were aware of this issue and are working on a "patch".  They placed us on an email notification list to be sent a software update when they are able to repair this flaw.  Timeframe is uncertain.  This is a bit unsettling as we were forced to upgrade to QB2018 from an older version and now QB is on a subscription-only basis. The claim is you are always updated, but then how can they sell this software when there is a known defect in the software?  In the mean time, we sit with a paid multi-user license with single-user only capability. Intuit also said they have seen the same issue with some 2017 licensees.

QuickBooks Team

Hey there, @AboveGround,

I want to make sure you can access your file in Multi-User mode. There is an ongoing investigation for customers encountering Error 193: 0xc1 when trying to set the QuickBooksDBxx service startup type to Automatic. However, if you're not encountering that specific error, these steps will help. First, I'll have you verify Hosting:

Note: This can be done without opening a company file.  

• On each workstation (not the server or host computer), open QuickBooks and click File in the upper left-hand corner and select Utilities.
  • If you see Host Multi-User Access on the list, this workstation is not hosting the company file and you can go to the next workstation.
  • If you see Stop Hosting Multi-User Access, click that option to turn off hosting on that workstation. Only the server should be hosting the company file.
  • Repeat the first three steps on each work station.

Next, I'll have you verify QuickBooks Services on the server

• Press the Windows key + R to bring up the Run window.
  • Type services.msc and hit Enter.
  • In the services window, scroll down and look for the QuickBooksDBXX service.
  • Note: XX represents the year of QuickBooks Desktop you are troubleshooting.  
  • If you do not see the QuickBooksDBXX service:
    >If you only use the Database Server Manager, make sure the Database Server Manager for the current year is installed on the server.
    >If you run the whole program on the server, open QuickBooks, go to File in the upper left-hand corner and select Utilities, and make sure hosting is enabled (it should say Stop Hosting Multi-User Access. If it says Host Multi-User Mode, click it to enable hosting on the server).
  • Double-click the QuickBooksDBXX service and make sure the Startup Type is set to Automatic and service status is Running or Started.
  • Click on the Log On tab.
  • Click the bubble for Local System Account.
  • Check the box to Allow services to interact with desktop.
  • Click the Recovery tab.
  • Click the drop-down menu for First failure and select Restart the Service. This will automatically restart the QuickBooksDB service if it fails. Do the same for Second failure and Subsequent failures.
  • Click OK to save the changes.
  • On the left side of the Services window, select Restart the service.
    Note: If anyone is logged into QuickBooks when you restart the service, it will force the user out of QuickBooks.
  • Repeat the first 12 steps for QuickBooks Services for the QBCFMonitorService.
  • Open QuickBooks in multi-user mode on each affected workstation. If the issue persists, try to make sure the QuickBooksDBXX service is a member of the administrator group and has the necessary permissions.

Now, I'll have you add Fire Wall ports (This allows QuickBooks to communicate properly through the Fire Wall to other computers on the network)

Perform these steps on all work stations and the server.  

• Access Windows Firewall Settings.  
    >Press the Windows key + R to bring up the Run window.
    >Type fw.msc and hit Enter.
  • On the left side of the Fire Wall window, right-click Outbound Rules, and select New Rule.
  • Click Ports and click Next.
  • Select TCP and in the specific local ports box, enter in the following ports: QuickBooks Desktop 2018: 8019, 56728, 55378-55382
  • Click Next and choose Allow the Connection.
  • Click Next to enter a name in the name field (for example, "QB 18 Outbound") and click Finish.
  • Repeat steps 2-5 for the Inbound Rules (QB 18 Inbound).
  • Try opening QuickBooks in multi-user mode again.

Lastly, I have an article attached for how to verify file sharing permissions: https://intuit.me/2KziLGk .

Once these configurations are put in place, you should now be able to launch into Multi-User Mode and get your QuickBooks "Above Ground". If you're still having trouble, I've attached an article that outlines some additional steps you, or an IT professional can try: https://intuit.me/2KziLGk . If it turns out that you are encountering Error 193: 0xc1, performing a clean install of QuickBooks 2018 has shown to help resolve that issue. I've included an article that will walk you through performing that: https://intuit.me/2KziNOs .

If you have any questions for me about these steps, or any of the information Ive gone over, don't hesitate to ask.

Community Explorer *

I appreciate your efforts but this isn't the solution.  As I mentioned earlier an Intuit agent via screen share went in on our PC and attempted multiple fixes, but she was resigned to the fact that it is a software issue that Intuit is working on. She was aware of the issue and said it had been ongoing, but no solution has been found.  The error code that boots us off and sends us into singe user mode only is  (-6106, 193). The Intuit agent opened a ticket and I would suggest you speak with her to get an idea of what she has gone though. According to her, versions 2017 and 2018 are experiencing this.  She has fielded calls for weeks. I still don't understand how you can sell software with a known flaw. This is a great disservice to customers and the QB community.

QuickBooks Team

Hi, @AboveGround,

Thank you for providing me with this information. I want to help you with this error you're encountering. Error (-6106, 193) is one of a series of errors related to the company file, and sometimes issues with the network. I have some troubleshooting steps to try, but first I'd like to take a look at the case from your previous interaction with the Customer Care team. If you don't mind sending me a private message with that case number, or your email address, I'd greatly appreciate it. With this information, I can look up your account and the ticket you were added to, and verify if there are any additional troubleshooting steps you can try.  I look forward to hearing from you.

Established Member

I'm having the same issue with Error 193: 0xc1. It has occured ever since I upgraded all 3 PC's to Windows 10 Pro 1803. Everything worked fine on 1709.

I tried a clean install of Quickbooks Pro 2017, as well as File Doctor. I'm able to open the file in single user mode on the main server desktop, and I'm able to open the file over network sharing on the other 2 desktops, but trying to run QuickBooksDB27 fails with Error 193. I'm unable to use Host Multi-User Access and unable to get into multi-user mode. It starts to switch, then crashes QuickBooks to desktop. Is there any ETA for a fix?

Community Explorer *

I messaged the case number for this flaw.  Thank you.

Community Explorer *

It's been a week for us.  We purchased a 3 user license and can only use in single user mode.  Intuit has yet to provide a patch and gave no timeframe. A prorated refund will be in order.  Depending on how many users are being sold faulty licenses, and how long we are being short changed, maybe a class action law suit is in order?

Community Contributor *

We just upgraded from QB 2015 to QB 2018 yesterday and have the same issue. 

We cannot accept QB payments stuck in single-user mode.

This is a small, single company file used by one person, Admin.

The error when trying to switch to Multi-user mode is -6106, 193 Man Mad

Community Explorer *

We are now on Day 16 without access to multi-user mode. We were forced to upgrade and the 3 user license we purchased doesn't work. We have not heard from QB on our open ticket. They claimed they would email us a patch, but to date, we have received nothing.  We still cannot comprehend how they can continue selling this software with a known flaw in which they have no fix. No offer of a refund or rebate - just collect the fee and close their eyes and ears.

This worked perfectly.  After 4 days of getting no where with support and I finally took the advise of my daughter ( a certified proadvisor) and searched the community for an answer.  And there it was !!!!!    Thank you so much.

SM1

Hi could you share the solution and steps?

Community Explorer *

There is no fix as of yet.  The suggestions posted on this thread may work for some, but the common flaw being discussed has no fix.  Inuit is failing it's customers.  Obtain a ticket from the help desk and be added to their email list when the patch becomes available.

Established Member

after being forced to upgrade my 3 user 2015 quickbooks pro (that was working fine) to quickbooks pro 2018 in order to continue to use quickbooks payroll, I am experiencing the same error 6106-193 when trying to host multiuser.  They have turned my 3 user into one user only.  Tried all the settings/fixes listed above, checked all the networking, done clean install, of course none work, just as Above Ground said.  What a waste of business time and money.  I could have calculated my own payroll taxes in the amount of time  Why should I have to fix their Beta software product known as quickbooks pro 2018.  Wish I could get my money back.

Community Contributor *

I believe this may have been the steps that the Desktop Support agent did for us via screen sharing.

Desktop support 866 two nine three 1928

And let them do it for you...We should not have to follow such complicated instructions to make the QB software work properly.

Community Contributor *

I hope this helps you...We were persistent and after many painful hours of letting Desktop Support agents and Merchant Services agents play around with our settings, it was done right.

The person who did it right was RJ at  Desktop Support is 866 two nine three 1928 .

If you get Veranna she is useless. She wouldn't listen and then transferred us back to Merchant Services when the problem is with the Desktop software. 

We're back up and running and it was no easy or quick feat.

Community Host

Hey @BYDESIGNMaui,

Glad to hear you had a good experience with RJ. From that call, do you know which settings need to be enabled to potentially resolve the multi-user issue? Hoping to share it out with as many folks as possible. 

Community Contributor *

Unfortunately we do not know "exactly" what they did. We let them do screen sharing so they did all the settings changes for us.

I saw something in SERVICES and the DB28 needed to be set to Automatically.

There may have been other settings as well, or that might have been the only one. The techs work so fast and this stuff is much more complex than I have time for. 

I don't even know how they got to the settings. I believe it was in Windows. 

We are running Win 10.

There was another thread in regard to something similar to our issue and they had mentioned similar settings.

Community Host

Hey @BYDESIGNMaui,

Thank you for letting me know, I will try to get ahold of the support team to see if we can bring that answer to this public thread. 

@Unhappy, there were a few other folks who were able to resolve their multiuser mode issue. Hopefully, one of their solutions might work. @JonLee had success using file doctor. Noting that you had error 6106-193, that should do the trick.

Established Member

Microsoft has a patch out now for this problem, Link is below, don't waste time on all the settings above they can't fix it, the problem in with windows update and force upgrades by quickbooks.  Patch below fixed problem easily

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4338548/june-5-2018-kb4338548-os-build-17134-83

Community Host

@Unhappy,

Thank you for sharing the link to the patch. Any issues since you updated? 

Established Member

no issues back to normal , just like before forced update

Community Contributor *

Yes, we had them do it for us. 

Yes, it was ridiculously complicated which is why we let them do it.

No, there was no charge by QB however it did eat up more than 8 hours of my valuable time.

Sleep, apparently, is highly over-rated Man LOL