cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
lizcmurphy
Level 2

Anyone explored Alternatives to Quickbooks Online?

Hi,

I don't really want to rehash the numerous problems I've been having with Quickbooks Online. It's really too painful and you all probably have your own stories. 

My question is have any of you explored cloud based alternatives. I'm crowdsourcing. Please share with me your recommendations and any drawbacks that you find.

Thanks!

Liz

7 Comments 7
lynda
Community Champion

Hi @lizcmurphy:

i did try xero.  Learned all I could.  Studied, got certified and HATED the program.  I kept thinking “qbo does this or that, why can’t xero”?  

There are other competitors, like Sage, peachtree, if you want to explore.  In my opinion, QBO is the best.  

lizcmurphy
Level 2

Hi Lynda,

Good to know. Thanks for the input. I have a feeling I'll feel the same. It may be if I move my payroll accounts I won't have as many problems.

Liz

lyndaartesani
Level 6

Honestly, @lizcmurphy, I love QBO Full Service payroll. If you are planning on making the move mid year, they will reconcile it all for you.  I highly recommend it and most of my clients use it. It is great because you don't have to worry about paying the liabilities or processing the tax returns for you.  It is really affordable. And if you go thru a ProAdvisor, we can get you locked in at special pricing for one year.  I love it!

njsherry
Level 2

I'm new to QuickBooks Online.  I have 12 years experience with Peachtree (desktop) and 4 years experience with QB (desktop).  I have always felt that Peachtree was a superior Accounting program.
I'm even more disappointed with QBO.  It seems like anybody (client) thinks they can be an accountant with how "easy" QBO is advertised to be.  I've seen checks with no payees, transfers of equity for 19 cents(!) and massive amounts of expenses charged to "Other business expense".
I think there should be a better onboarding process when a new business owner decides to set up a business, especially when it comes to the Chart of Accounts.
Liz, please keep me informed should you find a quality alternative.

lizcmurphy
Level 2

Hi,

The desktop versions are definitely more robust. Most of my clients have simple accounting needs and I find the cloud-based systems to be ideal for communicating with accountants and giving access from any location for very busy businsess owners.

The chart of accounts is tricky in quickbooks online. Nothing is ever deleted and accounts that seem unnecessary sometimes (maybe added in onboarding). Can't be deleted and can keep re-adding themselves. 

Hoping to create some free time to check out a few options soon.

I may also simply switch my payroll. This seems to be a pain spot for me in the software.

lizcmurphy
Level 2

I'll check out the payroll from full service. I used it years ago and it was an utter failure.  So I'm a little hesitant.

Thanks,

Liz

lynda
Community Champion

Hi Liz:

If you want to reach out to me directly, I can connect you with Amber, my contact for FS payroll.  All of my clients that started with F/S loved her and her team during the transition.

Lynda

Need to get in touch?

Contact us