cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
acctrecSR
Level 1

AP Reports

I am trying to run an AP report that shows all of the transactions for a month.  It needs to show the item description, the quantity, the price per quantity, total per transaction, and a running balance per vendor.  It also needs to show the split detail.  I can get the report to do everything I want, but as soon as I tell it to show the split detail, it adds an extra line for each one that negates the transaction so that I don't get a total balance by customer.  I get a balance of the debits and credits, but that is not the same as the total amount owed.  Because of the reporting I have to do, it must include all this information.  And I have to do this report for multiple vendors every month, so exporting to Excel to "finish" is an unreasonable option.

Any help is appreciated.

Solved
Best answer January 08, 2019

Best Answers
Anonymous
Not applicable

AP Reports

Here's how to do it:

1. Run the Vendor Balance Detail report.

2. Click Customize report, and then the Filters tab.

3. For the Account filter, choose Yes, under Include Split Details.

4. Add the Detail Level filter and choose All Except Summary.

5. Then on  the Display tab in the Columns section, remove the Balance column and add the Open Balance column.

6. Run the report again.

Optional:

a. Switch the column order by dragging columns so that the Open Balance appears last (looks better to me.)

b. Add one more filter: Paid Status = Open to reduce the report and show only things that are not fully paid.

c. Add other columns as desired.

--------------------

I've posted a free report template you can import into your QuickBooks company file.  Get it from our site here: BRC Report Templates for QuickBooks Desktop

View solution in original post

6 Comments 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

AP Reports

Good day, acctrecSR,

Thanks for getting in touch with us today and allowing us to lend you a holding hand.

We can use the a Vendor Balance Detail report then customize it by adding the filters you need. This report shows you all the transactions related to each vendor as well as the company's unpaid balances.

Here's how you can generate the report:

1. Go to the Reports tab.
  2. Select Vendors & Payables.
  3. Chooose Vendor Balance Detail.
  4. Click the Customize Report button.
  5. In the Columns section, mark the items you'd like to view on the report.
  6. If you want to add additional filters, go to the Filter tab.
  7. Once you're all set, click OK.
  8. Set the correct date and click Refresh.

That should do it, acctrecSR. Please let me know if there's anything you need help with Quickbooks. I'll be glad to get back to you and work with you again. Have a good day!

acctrecSR
Level 1

AP Reports

I just tried that report, and like all the others, it worked perfectly until I added the split detail.  I have to have the split detail on each transaction, but once I add that to the report, it zeros out the balances.

Anonymous
Not applicable

AP Reports

Hello acctrecSR,

Thanks for coming back with the details. 

Did you choose Yes for "Include split detail?" in the Filter tab? If so, that's the reason why the vendor balance shows zero amount. Another way to show the split details of each transaction is by adding the Split column. 

1. On the Vendor Balance Detail report, click on Customize
  2. In the Display tab, enter Split in the search field and select it.
  3. Click on OK.

This is how the report will look like after adding the Split column.

Below is the report that describes your concern. The filter function duplicates the transactions causing the vendor balance to zero out. 

Let me know if you have any questions. We're here to help.  

acctrecSR
Level 1

AP Reports

When I just add the split option on the display tab, it adds a split column, and every line in that column just says -SPLIT-.  I need the complete detail of each line on each invoice, including the item description, quantity, and cost.  I get that when I use the split filter, but then I don't get the final balance.

Anonymous
Not applicable

AP Reports

Here's how to do it:

1. Run the Vendor Balance Detail report.

2. Click Customize report, and then the Filters tab.

3. For the Account filter, choose Yes, under Include Split Details.

4. Add the Detail Level filter and choose All Except Summary.

5. Then on  the Display tab in the Columns section, remove the Balance column and add the Open Balance column.

6. Run the report again.

Optional:

a. Switch the column order by dragging columns so that the Open Balance appears last (looks better to me.)

b. Add one more filter: Paid Status = Open to reduce the report and show only things that are not fully paid.

c. Add other columns as desired.

--------------------

I've posted a free report template you can import into your QuickBooks company file.  Get it from our site here: BRC Report Templates for QuickBooks Desktop

acctrecSR
Level 1

AP Reports

I can't even tell you how happy this makes me; I've been trying to work this out for weeks!  This is perfect!  

Need to get in touch?

Contact us