cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tasiabarnard
Level 3

Add multiple classes to employees for payroll?

I need to assign multiple classes to each employee. How do I do this? Each employee needs to be classified by every class my company has.

14 Comments 14
JanyRoseB
QuickBooks Team

Hello there,

I'd be more than happy to help guide you on how to assign your employees to a Class in QuickBooks Online (QBO). 

First, let's create a class. Here's how:

1. Select the Gear icon.
  2. From the Lists, click All Lists.
  3. Under Lists select Classes.
  4. Select New.
  5. Enter Class name, check off the Is sub-class box (if applicable), then select Save.

Once done, you can now assign the class to your employees. Let me walk you through the steps:

1. Select the Gear icon.
  2. Click Payroll Settings
  3. Under preferences, select Accounting
  4. Select your class preference, then select OK

For additional reference, you can check this article: Create and assign employee classes

That should do it! Feel free to leave a comment below if you have any other questions about the class feature. Wishing you and your business continued success. 

tasiabarnard
Level 3

That only allows me to assign one class per employee. Per my question, I need multiple classes per employee.

MaryGraceS

Hi there, @tasiabarnard.

Thank you for the quick response. Allow me to add some information about assigning multiple classes per employee. 

You're correct. QuickBooks only assign one class per employee. Currently, the option to add multiple classes in the payroll settings is unavailable. 

As a workaround, you can create additional payroll item to enter split hours per class instead of using classes in each employee. Let me guide you on how to set this up: 

1. On the left pane, select Workers.
  2. Choose Employees.
  3. Select the name of the employee.
  4. Click the Pencil icon next to Pay
  5. Click Add an hourly rate.
  6. Enter a unique name for the pay type and rate in the $ field to make the amount recurring, or leave it blank and just enter the amount when running payroll so you can use it for other employees.
  7. Click Done

After that, you can add this pay type to your other employee's profile. Then, when you're ready to run payroll, just enter the hours worked for each of the earnings items. 

You can also enter hours using a weekly timesheet to choose a customer's name if you want to bill the activity to the customer or track expenses. I've attached the following articles for additional reference: 

That should get you back in track. Also, I'll make sure to take note of your suggestion to be added for the next QuickBooks updates. 

Fill me in if you have any other questions about payroll. I'll be happy to help you out. Have a great day ahead. 

tasiabarnard
Level 3

That isn't giving me the information I need. Prior to starting my position, the office admin had created a "Salary Class and Benefit Report." It's a memorized report she renamed. I do not know the basis for the report and she is no longer is available to ask. It's a report that totals each employee's salary to the class they worked, and unclassified classes (health insurance and retirement). The filters for the report are: Date, Employee Name, Payroll Item: Wages, Health Insurance, Retirement. I was able to get a report similar to what I need by creating a Profit and Loss report but it doesn't allow me to total each class. I need it to total each class versus doing it by hand. 

IamjuViel
QuickBooks Team

Appreciate the screenshot you've provided, @tasiabarnard.

Allow me to chime in and provide you with steps in generating payroll summary report by class in QuickBooks.

So that you'll be able to generate a report with your employee's name and class, let's ensure to assign a class to each employee. Here's how:

1. Create a Class List.
    1. Click the Gear Icon.
    2. Choose All List.
    3. Select Class.
      1. Go to the New button.
      2. Enter the name of the Class.
      3. Click Save.
      4. Repeat the same steps to create all the work class.
  2. Assign the class to each employee.
    1. Go to the Gear Icon.
    2. Select Payroll Settings.
    3. Choose Preferences.
    4. Click Accounting Preferences.
    5. Scroll down to the bottom of the page to the Class section.
      1. Select I use different classes for different employees.
      2. Click Ok.
      3. Choose the specific class for each employee.
      4. Hit Ok.

Once the classes are assigned to your employees. you can now run Profit and Loss by Class report.

1. Go to Reports.
  2. Choose Profit and Loss by Class report.
  3. Click the Customize button.
  4. Under the Filter section, put a check mark on Class.
  5. Click Run Report.

For additional insights, you may check this article: Set up class tracking.

Fill me in if you have other questions about generating payroll salary and benefits by the class report. I'm always here to help.

tasiabarnard
Level 3

You didn't provide any information.

JaneD

Allow me to jump into this conversation, tasiabarnard.

I've read your original post and it looks like you're using QuickBooks Desktop based on the screenshot you've provided.

The report that you're looking for is the Payroll Item Detail. This report lists all payroll transactions and where each payroll item appears. You can also customize the report like your office admin did.

Here's how:

1. Go to Employees, choose Employees & Payroll, and select Payroll Item Detail.
  2. Click on Customize Report button.
  3. Set the date range in the Display tab
  4. Under columns, uncheck all selected columns so you can create a new one. Then, let's search for Date, Payroll Item, Type, and Amount.
  5. If you want to change the name of the report, just go to the Header/Footer tab.
  6. Click on OK.
  7. Select Class in the Total By drop down and click on the Refresh button.

I've attached some screenshots below, so you'll know what I'm referring to.

p1.PNG

p2.PNG

p3.PNG

p4.PNG

p5.PNG

p6.PNG

p7.PNG

If you want to memorize the report, just click on the Memorize button.

p8.PNG

As a reference, you can also check out these articles:

This should point you in the right direction. Please let me know if you have further questions. I'll be around. 

tasiabarnard
Level 3

I don't have desktop, I have online.

JonpriL

Hi there, @tasiabarnard!

You can pull up and customize your Transaction Detail by Account report. I'm here to help you accomplish this.

1. Go to Reports.
  2. Select Standard.
  3. From the For my accountant category of your reports, choose Transaction Detail by Account.
  4. Select Class from the Grouped by drop-down menu.
  5. Click Customize.
  6. Under Filter, select Transaction Type, Employee, and Class.
  7. Select Payroll Check from the Transaction Type menu.
  8. Choose all of your employee and all your classes.
  9. Click Run report.

Once completed, you can now create a report with the payroll item of your employee categorize by class. I've also included our detailed guide in customizing your report.

Lastly, you can save this customized report by clicking the Save customization button. Then, go to the Custom reports tab to pull up this report in the future.

It'll be my pleasure to help if you have any other questions. I'm always around ready to help.

tasiabarnard
Level 3

That gives me a blank report.

Mark_R
QuickBooks Team

Thanks for getting back to us, @tasiabarnard.

The Transaction Detail by Account report provided above is the only available report that shows the payroll item of your employee categorizes by class.

However, when filtering the report, you'll just need to select the Employee and Transaction Type and click Run report. This way, you'll be able to see the payroll item of your employee categorize by class.

In case you need tips and related articles in the future, visit our QuickBooks Community help website for reference: QBO Self-help.

Please let us know if you have any other questions about your payroll reports. We're always here to help.

Malcolm Ziman
Level 10

@tasiabarnard wrote:

That gives me a blank report.

The robots are all having a lot of trouble with your question.

The only way you can have one employee's payroll post to different classes in the same pay period is to create separate checks for each class i.e. is to run separate payroll runs for the same period, and change the class assignment in between each run. The withholding will be too low because it starts from zero each check

fcole
Level 1

Has there been an update since this post that allows an employee to be assigned to multiple locations/classes?  In QuickBooks Desktop. Thanks. 

RCV
QuickBooks Team
QuickBooks Team

Thanks for joining in the thread, fcole.

The option to assign multiple classes/locations to an employee is unavailable in QuickBooks. We can only assign a specific class to your employee on their profile. When creating paychecks, we can assign a different class to each earnings item if we selected the Entire paycheck payroll preference. Your payroll expenses will be prorated by class on reports.

If you selected the Earnings Item payroll preference (so you can assign one class for each earnings item on a paycheck), the Preview Paycheck window will include a Class column. Here's an article you can refer to for more details about tracking Payroll Expenses by Class, Department, or Location.

To turn on the class tracking feature in Accounting settings, follow the steps below:

1. Go to the Edit menu, then select Preferences.
  2. Select Accounting and choose the Company Preferences tab.
  3. Place a checkmark for Use class tracking for transactions option.
  4. If you want a reminder when you haven't assigned a class, select the Prompt to assign classes checkbox.
  5. Press OK.

Then, assign a specific class to your employee in their profile. Here's how: 

1. Go to the Employees menu.
  2. Select Employee Center.
  3. Locate the name of the employee you'd like to assign a class, then double-click to open.
  4. On the Information for [Name of the employee], click Payroll Info.
  5. On the Class drop-down menu, select the specific class.
  6. Once done, click on OK.

Adding a class to the employee's profile will not display a class to the report. The class depends on the transactions of the employee. You’ll have to ensure that the class is associated with the employee’s paycheck.

Feel free to browse this link here if you need help with other tasks in QuickBooks Payroll. It'll route you to our general payroll topics with articles.

Drop a comment below if you have follow-up questions or concerns with running payroll on your software. I'm more than happy to assist you. Take care and have a wonderful day ahead.

Need to get in touch?

Contact us