cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Experienced Member

Adding account to an already existing budget

I am trying to add another expense to my already existing budget.  How would I do that?

4 REPLIES 4
QuickBooks Team

Re: Adding account to an already existing budget

You've reached the right support, Karen19.

I'd be happy to help you add an account to your existing budget.

To begin, let's make sure to close and re open the budget window for the updated information to reflect on the reports. To do this, just click on Windows and then click Close All.

Once done, you can create an account in the Chart of Accounts.

Here's how:

1. Go to the List menu.
  2. Click Chart of Accounts.
  3. Select Account.
  4. Click Expense.
  5. Click Continue.
  6. Fill in the necessary information.
  7. Click Save&Close.

I've attached some screenshots below for your reference.

To know more about how budget works in QuickBooks, feel free to check out this article: Budget or forecast in QuickBooks Desktop.

There you go. I'll be around anytime you need help or if you have follow-up questions about budgets in QuickBooks Desktop. It's always my pleasure to help.

Experienced Member

Good morning,

Thank you for your help.  The problem is, its already an expense in my chart of accounts but when I go to my budget, its not an option for me.  Why is it in my chart of accounts but not a line item in my budget?  I am trying to add it to my existing budget.  How would I do that?

Experienced Member

QuickBooks Team

Hi, Karen19. 

It could be that the expense account was deactivated, that’s why it’s not showing on your budget window. When you go to your Chart of Accounts an X mark before the account name will be an indication that an account is inactivated. Click the X mark to activate the account again.

We're just here if there's anything else we can do for you concerning QuickBooks.