cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Assigning Classes

We separate purchases by class.   When we purchase an item it is easy enough to assign a class to it, but if we pay on terms and get a discount, we cannot determine how to assign a class to a discount and this ends up as unclassified.   We would rather not have unclassified amounts, so we need a way to assign a class to the amount of the discount.

3 Comments
Super Contributor **

Re: Assigning Classes

On the pay bills screen, when you use the "set discount" button, you can assign a class to the discount. Mark Wagner, CPA

Well that could not be simpler.   Is there a way to assign a class after the fact?

QuickBooks Team

Let me be the first to welcome you to the Community, @SVSFla.

@mcwagner is right. You can assign a class to a discount when paying bills on the Discount and Credits window. Here’s how:

1. Go to the Vendors menu and select Pay Bills.
  2. Select the transaction by placing a check mark on the box next to it. 
  3. Click Set Discount.
  4. On the Discount and Credits window, click the drop-down arrow next to Discount Class to assign a class to it and Discount Account too.
  5. Hit Done.
  6. Choose Pay Selected Bills.
  7. Pick Done to close out the window.

discount 1.PNGdiscount 2.PNGdiscount 3.PNGdiscount 4..PNGdiscount 5.PNG

Right after, run a vendor report. The discount should now show its assigned class next to it. Here’s a screenshot for visual reference:

Check out these articles for more information: 

That should get you pointed in the right direction.

Hit the Reply button below to let me know how everything turns out or if you need anything else. I’m more than happy to help. Take care!