cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hollie1
Level 1

Can we have the customer pay the credit card fee if thats what they choose to pay with?

6 Comments 6
lynda
Community Champion

Can we have the customer pay the credit card fee if thats what they choose to pay with?

Hello @hollie1:  Short answer is depends.   It varies state by state.   I live in Florida.  Not legal. Used to live in RI, legal.  If you google the question, there is a site that shows you the rules state by state.

Lynda

Rustler
Level 15

Regardless of the state, no you can not

The reason I say that is because the law allowing CC surcharges make a very specific exception, you can not surcharge a debit or pre-paid card.  Since there is no way to know what the user is using in an online environment - no you can't

and on top of that QBO does not handle over payments, there is no way to make an invoice with conditional payments.  Pay this amount with cash/check, or pay this amount with CC

lynda
Community Champion

Why couldn’t you create a 2nd invoice to clear the over payment?  The person asked about a credit card fee not payment by debit card .  It is allowed to charge that back in some states.  And you can do the math to calculate it.  I see people do this practice from time to time.  It is usually people who keep the credit card feature off and the negotiate with their customer an agreement that the customer pays.  

My my opinion is take credit cards and add it to your total invoice.  Then pay the fees yourself. 

Rustler
Level 15

To the online interface there is no difference in the data entry between credit and debit cards, they look the same too.  In our store I had to ask when the card was offered, just so I could tag the sale (I had  problems with my merchant processor at the time who offered a discount rate for debit card transactions)

The merchant processor knows whether it is credit or debit, but not the online payment portal

And prepaid cards look the same as CC other than the bank name, but again to an online portal there is no way to ID them

lynda
Community Champion

Are you using QBO?  You can see how they paid at the customer payment level.   Here is where someone paid me by check. If it is credit card, it shows as that.Screen Shot 2019-01-16 at 11.30.27 AM.png

Rustler
Level 15

@lynda wrote:

Are you using QBO?  You can see how they paid at the customer payment level.   Here is where someone paid me by check. If it is credit card, it shows as that.Screen Shot 2019-01-16 at 11.30.27 AM.png

If this is in response to me, then

this is not the point at all, the same concept exists in desktop too.

the point is the user, he sees a payment portal, it asks for card type, the choices are MC, V, D, etc

he selects Visa, and the charge goes through - NO where does it ask if the visa card is a debit, pre-paid,  or credit card.

Other than our store the only place I know of that asks is the gas pump, that is only so they can put a hold on x-amount immediately, and settle the actual amount end of day during a batch transmission

Need to get in touch?

Contact us