cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
iecnecaspokane
Level 2

Cannot export to Excel anymore with Quickbooks 2016 for MAC

Export to Excel is no longer an option when I choose File Export?  WHY ?

Solved
Best answer August 18, 2018

Best Answers
H3lpMeRhonda
Level 1

Hi,

I just went into the QB Preferences in QB for Mac 2016 and switched the Reporting /Export Report As preferences away from "SYLK for Microsoft Excel 2004" to "XLSX for Microsoft Excel 2008 & 2011, Apple Numbers '09".

Hope that helps!

Rhonda

View solution in original post

16 Comments 16
lynda
Community Champion

Not sure why.  But this is the last version for Mac.  Can you export to iif and then open in excel?  Or export to .csv?

iecnecaspokane
Level 2

The options you see in the screen shot are the only options I have.  The lists to IIF let you choose from other lists in quickbooks, not the current report you are trying to export.  Our ability to export to Excel disappeared, and we really need that feature.   

MrMojo
Level 2

Have you tried exporting to .txt?

Excel may be able to import the .txt file information but formatting will be required to clean things up.

Can you also print the reports to 1 page wide, which is an option in the PC version?

One would think that Intuit would streamline the QB file format so it's Compatible between the PC vs Mac version by now but it has Not!

lr4
Level 1

Why dont the chat people know this or the answer??????

Worst customer service EVER

ClayJ
QuickBooks Team

Hey there, @Ir4, @iecnecaspokane.

I'd like to pass along some information that can potentially shed light on this issue you're encountering with exporting reports to Excel. I want to make sure your computer is compatible with the version of Excel you are using. I've attached a link to the system requirements for QuickBooks for Mac 2016 here: https://community.intuit.com/articles/1502399-system-requirements-for-quickbooks-2016-and-enterprise... . When you get a chance, please review this and verify that your system meets these requirements. If your system does meet the minimum system requirements for compatibility, you might have an issue with the installation of Excel, or potentially with the QuickBooks Installation. To verify that the issue doesn't lie with QuickBooks, I recommend performing a Clean Install. Here's how:

Uninstall QuickBooks Desktop for Mac:

• Close down QuickBooks.
  • From the Finder menu, click Go.
  • Choose Applications.
  • Click and drag the QuickBooks icon to the Trash.

Remove QuickBooks PLIST files:

Note: The PLIST files from the User folder as well as the System folder will need to be removed. Removing these PLIST files will change all preferences back to the default settings, which could cause the product to become unregistered.

>User PLIST:

• While on your desktop, from the Finder menu, select Go.
  • Hold down the Option key, then click on Library.
  • Open the Preferences folder
  • Locate the PLIST files with QuickBooks and your version in the name and move them to the Trash.
    Note: Delete everything containing “com.intuit.QuickBooks20XX”
  • Empty the Trash.

>System PLIST:

• From a new Finder window or the icon on the desktop, open the Macintosh HD.
  • Go to Library > Preferences folder.
  • Locate the PLIST files with QuickBooks and your version in the name and move them to the Trash.
    Note: Delete everything containing “com.intuit.QuickBooks20XX”
  • Empty the Trash.

Once the above steps are completed, you will restart your computer and reinstall QuickBooks. I've attached the link for reinstalling QuickBooks for Mac here: https://community.intuit.com/articles/1502368-install-and-set-up-quickbooks-mac-desktop . If you are still having issues with exporting reports, I recommend searching for steps online to repair Excel or contact Microsoft directly for assistance. Let me know your outcome after trying these steps. I look forward to hearing back from you both.

jdklein33
Level 1

Export to Excel doesn't work on my Win 10/Office 365 Excel either. This is a recent decrement in feature because it worked in February of 2018 when I first built the spreadsheet model that I want to update. I was looking for answers and found the issue with Mac being discussed but wanted to point out that the export to Excel on PC is no longer an option (it is grayed out, only a .csv export is an option). This is a huge issue because I can no longer update my dependent Excel business analysis models. 

ClayJ
QuickBooks Team

Hello, @jdklein33.

Thank you for sharing that information with the Community. I have some troubleshooting steps I'd like you to try that help with problems in Excel and QuickBooks. Earlier, I mentioned this issue could stem from QuickBooks itself. I recommended a Clean Install be performed on the computer that's having the issue. Here's how for Windows: 

Uninstall QuickBooks Desktop:

• Press Windows+R on your keyboard to bring up the Run command.
  • Enter Control Panel and click OK.
  • Select Programs and Features.
  • Choose QuickBooks and click Uninstall/Change.
  • Follow the prompts to complete the process.

Rename the Installation folders with the QuickBooks Clean install tool:

• Download the QuickBooks Clean Install tool and save it to your desktop (Download here: https://intuitcorp.quickbase.com/up/bd9yykidd/g/r9/eg/va/Clean%20Install%20Tool.exe ).
  • Open and run the tool.
  • Select I Accept on the license agreement.
  • Choose your version of QuickBooks Desktop and click Continue.
  • Click OK when you see the message "QuickBooks is now ready for a clean install, please install to the default directory."

Reinstall QuickBooks:

I have attached an article on reinstalling QuickBooks for you here: https://community.intuit.com/articles/1501893-download-quickbooks-desktop . If you're still not able to export your reports, you might need to troubleshoot Excel itself. Since it's a Microsoft program, I recommend reaching out to them directly for assistance. Comment back once you're finished, or if you have any additional questions so I can help. 

MrMojo
Level 2

@ClayJ

Do you realize that your 'suggestion' is to do a Clean Re-Install for a PC QB Desktop which is Irrelevant?

The 'issue' is the MAC QB version in which it does Not export reports to MS Excel format anymore!

ClayJ
QuickBooks Team

Hi, @MrMojo.

Please allow me to clarify. I was responding to @jdklein33 in my last post. They had mentioned having a similar issue with Windows 10 and had not found any steps for troubleshooting. Earlier in the thread, I offered troubleshooting steps for Mac specifically. If you have any questions for me about this, I'd be happy to answer. 

H3lpMeRhonda
Level 1

Hi,

I just went into the QB Preferences in QB for Mac 2016 and switched the Reporting /Export Report As preferences away from "SYLK for Microsoft Excel 2004" to "XLSX for Microsoft Excel 2008 & 2011, Apple Numbers '09".

Hope that helps!

Rhonda

CedarChest
Level 1

I have had an issue with exporting into Excel for quite a few months.  I ended up changing from the XLSX for Microsoft Excel 2008 & 2011, Apple Numbers '09 to SYLK for Microsoft Excel 2004, which allowed me to keep exporting reports into Excel but there were a lot of issues where I would then have to copy and paste into a new workbook to be able to save the reports.  The "XLSX for Microsoft Excel 2008 & 2011, Apple Number's '09" is the one I should be using and was using for years, however it WILL NOT export any Aging Reports but will export other reports.  Does anyone know what is going on and how do I fix this WITHOUT re-installing QB?

Thanks

Melody

CedarChest
Level 1

I have had an issue with exporting into Excel for quite a few months.  I ended up changing from the XLSX for Microsoft Excel 2008 & 2011, Apple Numbers '09 to SYLK for Microsoft Excel 2004, which allowed me to keep exporting reports into Excel but there were a lot of issues where I would then have to copy and paste into a new workbook to be able to save the reports.  The "XLSX for Microsoft Excel 2008 & 2011, Apple Number's '09" is the one I should be using and was using for years, however it WILL NOT export any Aging Reports but will export other reports.  Does anyone know what is going on and how do I fix this WITHOUT re-installing QB?

Thanks

Melody

ClayJ
QuickBooks Team

Hey there, Melody,

Thank you for visiting the Community for help. I have a recommendation to get you back up and running with QuickBooks. Since some reports are exporting properly, and others aren't, this appears to be related to data damage. 

To fix data damage, QuickBooks has built-in diagnostic and repair tools: the rebuild and verify data utilities. Here's how to use those:

Run the Rebuild Data utility:

• Go to File, then select Utilities Rebuild Data.
  • On the QuickBooks Information window, select OK. Follow the prompts to save a backup.
  • Select OK when you see Rebuild has completed.

Run the Verify Data utility:

• Go to File, then select Utilities Verify Data.
  • You may see QuickBooks detected no problem with your data, select OK. You may continue using your company file.
  • If the Verify finds an issue with your data, you will be prompted to Rebuild Now or View Errors. Select Close, then perform the steps below.

For your reference, here is an article on troubleshooting data damage: Resolve data damage on your company file.

After running these diagnostics, try exporting your reports once more. If you're still having trouble, leave me a comment below so I can advise you further. Otherwise, if you have anything else you'd like to go over relating to QuickBooks, don't hesitate to reach out to me about it here in the Community.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have been experiencing the same issue on my PC, and found that the functionality returned after "repairing" my MS Office 365 installation.  So relieved that this worked as I'm heavily dependent on the export to Excel function. 

roystallard
Level 1

Cannot export reports to Apple Numbers with Quickbooks 2019 for MAC. I have completely deleted Microsoft Excel, removed PLIST files and reinstalled Quickbooks 2019, and selected XLSX in preferences, reporting.

The error message is: "General Ledger8.xlsx can't be opened right now. Numbers couldn't read the file."

The Numbers version is 11.0 (7030.0.94).

The mac OS Catalina version is 10.15.7

SashaMC

Hello roystallard,

Thank you for reaching out to the QuickBooks Community. I appreciate that you did those troubleshooting steps to get this problem to rectify. To export reports in Excel, follow these steps below:

1. Go to the Reports menu, locate your report and click Export.
  2. Once the file opens, select File and Save wherever you prefer.
  3. Once Excel opens, right-click on the file and hit Get Info.
  4. Chose Microsoft Excel or Apple Numbers from the Open with menu.
  5. Click Change All.

That should do it! If you would like to set your report preferences to change the file type that QuickBooks exports (.sylk or .xlsx), I recommend checking out this article. However, if you are still encountering issues, I suggest connecting with our Support Team. They have to tools to take a deeper look into this and possibly escalate this case if necessary. Here's how:

1. Select this link to open the Contact Us page and choose QuickBooks Mac Desktop.
  2. Enter a brief description of the situation.
  3. Choose your method of connecting with us via chat or call back.

Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns. I will do my best to assist you! Take care for now.

Need to get in touch?

Contact us