cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sonyia
Level 1

Chart of Accounts

How do I change the from the default a/r chart of account to a different chart of account.

My QBO is defaulting my sales invoices to an a/r account named allowance for doubtful account. 

2 Comments 2
Regina_Lend_A_Hand_Accounting
Level 9

Chart of Accounts

There is only one Accounts Receivable account in QBO, and it is part of your standard chart of account list. The name of the account must have been changed if it is truly an Accounts Receivable type account. Edit the account name to change the name back to Accounts Receivable.

Rasa-LilaM
QuickBooks Team

Chart of Accounts

Greetings, Sonyia.

Thanks for dropping by the Community space. I want to ensure your invoices are tracked to the correct account.

In addition to @Regina_Lend_A_Hand_Accounting's answer, QuickBooks Online recommends keeping one A/R for organizing your records. To properly track your sales invoices, you can set up a parent customer and sub customers to group and sub-total your open receivables by the parent customer.

To create a parent customer:

1. Go to Sales, and select Customers.
  2. Click on the New customer tab.
  3. Then name the account. For example, use the name of one of the AR accounts on the Chart of Accounts.
  4. Then choose Save.

You can do this same process for every AR type needed. Next, change your existing customers to sub-customers.

Here’s how:

1. Go to Sales, and select Customers.
  2. Choose the customer you’re working on.
  3. Select Edit, and make sure to mark the box for Is sub-customer.
  4. From the Parent drop-down, select parent customer you created.
  5. Click on Save.

You can use the Location Tracking feature to group receivables. For the detailed instructions, you can refer to the Set up and work with class and location tracking article.

Let me know if you have additional questions about tracking transactions in QBO. Please know that I'm always ready to answer them for you. Have a good one.

Need to get in touch?

Contact us