cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Eliminating "Paid" bills from the A/P ledger

I create a bill to track an o/s payable. I pay the bill. The expense flows into QBO from banking institution and is matched to the o/s payable. Now I have two line items in the A/P ledger. One for the original bill and one showing it's been paid.  Is there a way to clear "Paid" line items from A/P ledger so I'm viewing only those bills which are truly outstanding? 

6 Comments 6
JessT

Hi CT,

If you paid the bill, it shouldn't show on your Accounts Payable account anymore. Just to clarify, are you looking at your Accounts Payable (A/P) account in the Chart of Accounts, or you're looking at the A/P section in your General Ledger report? Then, when you say "two line items in the A/P ledger" you mean two transactions, right?

You can undo the bank transaction that flows in the A/P ledger. Then, match it to the bill payment transaction to remove the duplicate transaction.

1. Go the Banking and choose Banking.
  2. Click the Reviewed tab and find the transaction.
  3. Click on Undo.
  4. Go back to the For Review tab and find the transaction.
  5. Match it to the bill payment transaction.

Please let me know how it goes.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm looking at the Accounts Payable account in the Chart of Accounts where there are two line items pertaining to the same transaction. The first line item is Type Bill and the second Type Bill Payment. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

My goal is to pull up all unpaid bills regardless of when I entered them or when they were due. 

HoneyLynn_G
QuickBooks Team

Hello there, @Anonymous.

I appreciate you coming back to us for additional support and providing extra details. Allow me to join this thread and share more insights.

The A/P Register's transaction list setup is the first line (Bill) and second (Bill Payment). To achieve your goal, we can run a report to show all unpaid bills.

1. Click Reports.
  2. On the Search field, enter Unpaid Bills.

That should do it. You also have the option to customize the report, CT.

Keep me posted if there's anything else you need about reports. I'm still here to help you further. Wishing you all the best!

UnimpressedByThisSofrware
Level 1

I have a similar problem.  Bills that have been paid are still appearing in our outstanding payables report and in the Chart of Account. When the bill/expense is paid I would expect it to transfer into the appropriate chart of account.  Now when we try to run budget reports paid bills aren't showing up in the appropriate account. 

LieraMarie_A
QuickBooks Team

Hi there. I hope you're doing well. We want to make sure everything gets paid and recorded correctly. 

Beforehand, I'd like to ask more details about your concern. We want to ensure that we're giving you the right steps to resolve the issue right away.

Can you clarify which account you're referring to? Did you use the Pay bills feature to record the payments?

Please add a reply below to share details. Have a great day. 

Need to get in touch?

Contact us