cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Experienced Member

Error exporting P&L reports to Excel, in QuickBooks for Mac 2019

Hello community,

We've just updated to QuickBooks for Mac 2019.

If we generate a P&L, and then try to export to Excel, we get an error message every time: "a problem with some of the content".  

Clicking to to trust the source, it then converts the file to Excel just fine every time BUT gives another error message that says there were missing fields.  If you try to view the log, it says that the XML repair result cannot be viewed.  Oddly, the window that pops up says this is a Microsoft Word (not Excel!) notice.

So all works eventually, but it requires extra steps to approve the report running and ignore the false error message.  Seems like a bug.  I can't find any way to notify QuickBooks.  Any ideas?

2 Comments
QuickBooks Team

Re: Error exporting P&L reports to Excel, in QuickBooks for Mac 2019

Appreciate the screenshot you've provided, @sfls.

Let's review the version of the Excel viewer on your device so you'll be able to export your reports.

Here 's the minimum requirements for this new QuickBooks version:

• At least macOS 10.12 (Sierra); supported by macOS 10.13 (High Sierra), macOS 10.14 (Mojave)
  • Intel processor, Core 2 Duo or higher
  • Multiuser Server: Intel Core 2 Duo or higher processor to run server
  • 2 GB RAM (4 GB RAM recommended)
  • 250 MB of available disk space
  • CD/DVD drive or Internet connection for downloaded installation
  • Printer: 100% Macintosh-compatible printer, if you plan to print invoices, checks, deposit slips, lists, purchase orders, mailing labels, reports, or graphs
  • Checks: Use Intuit Checks if you plan to print checks. Canadian Image Ready Checks are not supported
  • Product registration required

I've attached a link to the system requirements for QuickBooks for Mac 2019 here: System requirements for QuickBooks 2019.

If your system does meet the minimum system requirements for compatibility, you might have an issue with the installation of Excel, or potentially with the QuickBooks Installation.

To isolate the issue, I recommend performing a Clean Install. Here's how:

1. Back up your QuickBooks company file.
  2. Uninstall QuickBooks Mac Desktop.
  3. Remove QuickBooks PLIST files.
  4. Restart your device.
  5. Reinstall QuickBooks.

You can check this Reinstall QuickBooks for Mac using clean install article for more information.

If the error persists, I'd recommend contacting our Technical Support Team. An agent will be able to look into the error and further assist you via a secured remote access session.

Here's how to get our contact number:

1. Go to this link https://help.quickbooks.intuit.com/en_US/contact.
  2. Select QuickBooks Mac Desktop.
  3. Click the Using QuickBooks for Mac topic.
  4. Scroll down and click the Get Phone Number button.

If you have other questions about exporting data from QuickBooks, let me know. I am always glad to help in any way I can.​

Highlighted
Established Community Backer ***

Re: Error exporting P&L reports to Excel, in QuickBooks for Mac 2019

We've heard of this from time to time but have been unable to reproduce it.  We've even asked people to send us their QB company files and then when we try the steps ourselves it works.  There is clearly something about the XML that is generated that Microsoft is reporting as invalid.  It just seems to vary based on the person's machine.

This makes it hard to replicate and fix.