Level 1

Expenses showing as deposits

Expenses are showing as deposits

25 Comments 25
David-212915
QuickBooks Team

Hi @WJOFWOMEO,

It's nice to have you with us in the Community today. I'd be delighted to assist you with the expenses that are showing as deposits. 

Just to clarify, could you please let me know where you're seeing the expenses as deposits? For example, are these expenses being downloaded from your bank and appearing incorrectly on the For Review page? This information will help to ensure that the quickest resolution is provided so that you're able to get back to business.

I'll be keeping my eye open for your response. Have a good one. 

BInc
Level 1

I downloaded transaction from my bank and uploaded them into QB. All transactions are showing up on the Banking/For Review Screen list as deposits. Most of these transactions are expenses, not deposits. How can I edit these to not show as Deposits?

BInc
Level 1

Hi, I had this same issue. After uploading transactions from my bank, everything is being noted as a deposit on the Banking/For Review list, even if it's an expense. How can I edit these transactions to show as expenses and not deposits?

AlcaeusF

Thanks for joining the thread, BInc.

The transactions that will download in QuickBooks will depend on the financial data shared from your bank. You can exclude the expenses showing as deposits on the For Review tab and manually enter the transactions.

Here's how:

1. On the left panel, click Banking.
  2. Go to the Banking tab.
  3. Choose an account.
  4. Go to the For Review tab.
  5. Put a check mark beside the transactions.
  6. Click the drop-down arrow next to Batch actions.
  7. Select Exclude Selected.

Please note that you're unable to edit the deposits from your bank showing on your Bank Feeds. In case you need some visual reference, I'm adding a screenshot on this:

If possible, I also recommend sharing the name of your financial institution to check if there are reported cases from other users.

Please don't hesitate to add any additional information or screenshots If you need further help on this. I'll keep an eye out on your response with your banking issue.

nolfred
Level 2

Thank you for the reply, however, this is not a full solution. How do you change the deposit into an expense?

Example: Under Banking, I add a transaction that it is a Expense under Meals and Entertainment. Then, I add the transaction. Then, however, it is showing up as a Deposit instead of an Expense. How do I change this Deposit into an Expense?

Anonymous
Not applicable

I can help add some details, @nolfred.

An expense transaction should show as an expense if you have manually entered it in your bank register. If you're referring to this process, you can delete and recreate the transaction and ensure you add an expense instead of a deposit. 

expense transaction.PNG

However, if this transaction is downloaded directly from the bank, you can't modify this. You may need to exclude the expense showing as a deposit as suggested by my colleague @AlcaeusF. Then try downloading the specific transaction again using web connect

You also have the option to import the transaction using a CSV template. Just make sure to use a negative amount for the expense. You can check this link for more details: Import bank transactions using Excel CSV files.

For other ways to import mass expense transactions, you may also check this article: Import bank transactions in batches.

If you have additional questions about changing transactions to expense, do let me know. I'll be here to help.

Business6
Level 1

I think I did it manually

Joebritt2
Level 1

I'm entering checks as expenses and some are being recorded as income in QB 2015

Joebritt2
Level 1

Some of my expenses are being recorded as income

MonicaM3

Hey @Joebritt2,

Thanks for reaching out to the QuickBooks Community! I see that some of your expenses are recording as income. Can you tell me a little more about where you are seeing this? If you can, screenshots of the expenses that are recording as income would be really beneficial to figure out what’s going on. 

When you look at your Chart of Accounts, are the account types showing Expense?

I’ll be looking for your response so we can get you fixed up! Chat soon and take care!

Learning2A
Level 1

Hello - my first time using Quickbooks, I uploaded the credit card CSV and the amounts weren't shown as negative.  I didn't change before uploading.  Now all my expenses are showing as deposits.

How can I change this please?? 

Thanks

Learning2A
Level 1

They didn't come up in the review section either.

Kristine Mae

Let me help you sort this out, Learning2A.

You're unable to change the imported transactions. You'll have to exclude them so they'll not be added.

If you're unable to see them in the For review tab, try to check them in the Categorized tab. Then, undo them so you can re-import the transactions. Here's how:

1. Select the transactions in the Categorized tab.
  2. Click Undo.

They'll be transferred to the For review tab. You'll have to undo them again so they'll not be added. Here's how:

1. Select the transactions.
  2. Click Exclude.

You can also check this article for more information: Exclude a bank transaction you downloaded into QuickBooks Online.

Then, you can delete them permanently. Here's how:

1. Click Banking, then go to the Banking tab.
  2. Go to the Excluded tab.
  3. Select the excluded transactions.
  4. Click Delete.

Next, you can import the transactions and ensure the credit card transactions are negative. 

Once done, you can already categorize the transactions

Let us know if you need more help with your concern. We're just one comment away. Take care!

Learning2A
Level 1

Thank you for your response.

But I believe I am a step ahead - I have added all the transactions and they are showing up in the P&L as deposits.

How can I rectify from here please?

Thanks

JonpriL

Hello @Learning2A,

Let me add a few things on how you can fix the incorrect posting of your transactions.

You're on the right track, transactions showing up on your report have been added and reviewed. With this, let's undo them from the Banking page as stated on the first set of steps shared by my colleague, @Kristine Mae, above.

Undoing them will remove your transactions from your Profit and Loss report including in your bank register and will move them back to the For Review tab. From here, you can continue following the other set of steps above to complete the fix.

On top of that, here's an article you can read to learn more about how to fix transactions incorrectly reviewed: Unmatch downloaded bank transactions or move them to another account.

Additionally, I've also included this reference for the steps in case you need to start balancing your bank account register: How to reconcile your accounts so they always match your bank and credit card statements?

If you have any other questions, please let me know by leaving any comments below. I'll be here to lend a hand.

Nixnox08
Level 1

Can you help me please? I have tried to enter my expenses manually and still they are showing as a profit(deposit). 

MJoy_D

I'm here to help you fix the error you're having to enter your expenses successfully, @Nixnox08.

To make sure that it'll be posted as an expense, choose an expense account and not a bank account under the Category column. Check the screenshot below:

You can edit the expense that you've just created to update the category details. Follow the steps below:

1. Go to the Expenses menu and proceed to the Expenses tab.
  2. Find expense you want to edit and click the Category dropdown to update it. 

Here's an article to help you enter and manage expenses in QuickBooks Online

You can also check the following reference to help you record billable expenses. An expense you incur on your customer’s behalf when you perform work for them: Enter billable expenses.

Stay in touch if you have other concerns about entering an expense by leaving a comment below. I'm always glad to help in any way I can.​ Have a great rest of the day!

Texas Captain
Level 1

I have this issue, but only on one transaction.  I understand how to exclude the wrong transaction, but I don't know how to add the correct transaction.  Is it a journal entry?  I prefer not to do a mass upload to only fix one transaction.

ZackE

Thanks for joining the Community, Texas Captain.

You can add expense transactions to your books by using the + New button, then selecting Expense.

Here's how:

1. In your left navigation bar, use the + New button.
  2. Under VENDORS, click Expense.
  3. Enter a Payee, Payment account, Payment date, Payment method, and any other necessary details.
  4. Select Save and close.

I've also included a detailed resource about working with expenses which may come in handy moving forward: Enter & manage expenses

I'll be here to help if there's any additional questions. Have a wonderful day!

NL99
Level 1

I need to edit deposits and change to expenses while reconciling my statement

SarahannC

Hello, NL99.

I can help you correct your deposits to expenses in QuickBooks Online. Then, reconcile your account to keep your data accurate. 

We're unable to modify deposits to expenses directly while reconciling your statement. If we manually add the deposits to the register, we need to delete them. Then, recreate it as an expense. 

Delete:

1. Go to the Accounting menu.
  2. In the Reconcile page, click the deposit you want to delete. 
  3. Select More. Then, Delete.

Recreate:

1. Still, go to the Accounting menu.
  2. Within the Chart of Accounts tab, find the account and click the View register.
  3. Click the drop-down arrow under the Date column. Select Deposit.
  4. Enter details. Make sure it's similar to what you have in your bank statement.
  5. Click Save.

If these transactions are downloaded directly from the bank, we're unable to change them. QuickBooks only depends on the data shares by your bank. If you need to correct them, we can exclude deposits.  For review> select deposits you want to exclude>Exclude. Then, manually import the expenses using web connect. To map your transactions correct, use this reference: Format CSV files in Excel to get bank transactions into QuickBooks.

When doing the reconciliation, here are some articles that guide you through the process:

Visit again if you have more concerns about reconciling accounts in QuickBooks. I'd love to help you anytime. Take care and stay safe.

HollyF
Level 1

I finally figured out what the fix is!  When you download your transactions from your bank account, they come over as positive numbers whether you save it as .qbo or .cvs.  Change the expenses to negative numbers and leave the deposits as positive numbers.  When you upload them to QBO, they will show in the proper categories.  Phew, what a mess!

HollyF
Level 1

You can't edit them, just exclude or delete the ones you already uploaded.  Go to your spreadsheet and make the numbers that are expenses, negative and keep the deposits positive then upload your .qbo or .csv file again.  It's the only way to solve the problem!

richard50
Level 1

I have the reverse challenge, where a transfer from a deposit to current account has been categorised as an expense, and I can't see how to change that. 

Need to get in touch?

Contact us