Hi there, plsf-727.
Thank you for posting here in the QuickBooks Community.
The option to create a billable expense is currently available in QuickBooks Online (QBO) in both Plus and Advanced versions. If you wish to upgrade your QBO, consider checking out this article for more information: How do I upgrade my QuickBooks Online subscription?
Once upgraded, here's how to turn on the Billable Expense:
1. At the top right, select the Gear icon.
2. Under Your Company, select Account and Settings.
3. On the left menu, select Expenses.
4. Under the Bills and expenses section, click the pencil icon to open the fields for editing.
5. Make sure that the following items are checked:
6. Select Save, then Done.
Follow the steps below on how to Enter a billable expense:
1. On the Bill, Expense, or Check window, create an expense transaction.
2. In the Product/Service field, choose the expense account or product/service for the item you purchased for the customer.
3. In the Amount field, enter the cost of the items.
4. Enter a Description of the items.
5. From the Customer drop-down arrow, select the customer to be billed for the item or expense.
6. Put a check-mark in a Billable checkbox.
7. Enter any Markup percentage.
I'll show you how to Add billable expenses to invoices:
1. At the top right, select the Plus(+) icon.
2. Under Customer, select Invoice.
3. Enter the customer name. Open billable expenses will populate the right side of the screen.
4. Click the Add for the billable expense you like to include in the Invoice.
5. Click Save.
Here's an article to help you with recording a customer payment: How to record a customer payment.
Please let me know how it goes by leaving a comment below. I'm only a post away if you have any follow-up questions. Enjoy your weekend!