cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Experienced Member
Solved

For the members of a band the need to get expenses reimbursed, should I log them as "vendors"?

Best answer 06-12-2019

Accepted Solutions
Experienced Member

Re: For the members of a band the need to get expenses reimbursed, should I log them as "vendors"?

So, in your experience, I should enter the band members as "employees", rather than vendors?  I need to be able to track their expenses, travel, mileage, etc. and then issue reimbursements as well as payments for each show.  Thanks so much for your help.

Susan

3 Comments
QuickBooks Team

Re: For the members of a band the need to get expenses reimbursed, should I log them as "vendors"?

Hello there, @susandavisva.

Yes, your band members can be entered as your vendors, so you can track who made the expenses. Let me guide you how.

To enter them as a vendor:

1. Click Expenses from the left menu.
  2. Select Vendors tab.
  3. Click New vendor.
  4. Fill in necessary information and click Save.

Before you can start entering billable expense, you need to enable the Billable Expenses option first.

1. Click the Gear icon.
  2. Under Your Company, select Account and Settings.
  3. Select Expenses from the left menu then, Click Bills and expenses section.
  4. Put a check on the following items as shown in the image below.
  5. Select Save, then Done.

Capture2.PNG

Then refer to this article for the detailed steps: How to Enter Billable Expenses.

I also find this article helpful for you in the future: Removing a Billable Expense Charge from the Customers Center in the New QBO.

If you have any other concerns, please don't hesitate to leave a comment below. Have a nice day!

Experienced Member

So, in your experience, I should enter the band members as "employees", rather than vendors?  I need to be able to track their expenses, travel, mileage, etc. and then issue reimbursements as well as payments for each show.  Thanks so much for your help.

Susan

QuickBooks Team

Thank you for getting back to us, @susandavisva.

Tracking your band member's expenses and reimbursing them depends on how you want to add them. Let me add more information about this and help you further.

You have the option to add them as employees or vendors. If you agreed with your bank member to add them as vendors, you can follow the steps provided by my colleague @JasroV above.

But if you agreed to add them as employees, you can follow these steps below in adding them:

1. Click on Workers from the left panel.
  2. Choose Employees.
  3. Click on Add an Employee.
  4. Enter their information in the Pay, Profile and Employment tabs.
  5. Click on Done.

When reimbursing them, you have the option to pay them now, or record the expense now and pay them later.

Here's how you can reimburse them immediately:

1. Click on the Plus (+) icon.
  2. Choose Expense or Check.
  3. Enter your employee in the Payee field.
  4. Choose the Payment Account.
  5. In the Category details section, enter the expense account and the Amount.
  6. Click on Save and Close.

For further guidance, you can read this article: Reimbursing an Employee.

You may also visit our Help Articles page to learn more "How do I" steps that can help you in the future.

Don't hesitate to get back to us if you have any other questions. I'll always be around to help.