cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kim10
Level 1

How can I make sure my invoice's have line item for Class so I can keep track of cost per job

16 Comments 16
MarshallA
Intuit

How can I make sure my invoice's have line item for Class so I can keep track of cost per job

Hello,

1.  Make sure you have Class tracking turned on.  Gear Icon/Account and Settings/Advanced

2. When you turn on class tracking, you can tell QBO to either assign a class to the whole transaction or to assign a class to each line.  (picture below)

Anonymous
Not applicable

Good day, @kim10.

Yes, @MarshallA is right. You'll just need to make sure your Class tracking is turned on to assign classes in your invoice. I'd also like to suggest checking the box for Warn me when a transaction isn't assigned a class. This way, QuickBooks will prompt a warning that your transaction has a missing class field.

I've provided screenshots for your reference.

class ins.1.JPGclass ins.2.JPG

prompt for class.JPG

That should do it. Feel free to drop by again here in the Community if you have other questions about tracking classes in QBO. I'm here to help.

ErinBauer
Level 1

@Anonymous-I think I have a related issue. We are using invoice Class but some charges are still remaining in unclassified. The only difference I can see with these GL accounts is in the Item List they are "Service" not inventory items. I must be missing something - I'm not sure why when the entire invoice is classed these few items remain in unclassified. 

Thanks!

EB

Anonymous
Not applicable

Good day, @ ErinBauer.

Thanks for joining this thread. Let me help share some information about class tracking in QuickBooks.

In GL accounts, the Accounts Receivable will not be affected by the class tracking, only the items within the invoice regardless of the item type. It'd be nice if we can also develop a General Ledger by Class report similar to the Profit & Loss by Class report.

I'd encourage you to send feedback to let us know how you feel about this feature. You can do this by going to http://feedback.qbo.intuit.com/ and clicking the Give feedback link. Our product development team visits this section regularly to ensure we're delivering on what our customers need.

Please let me know if you have additional questions about class tracking. I'll be here to help.

ErinBauer
Level 1

It is in the expense accounts not AR that we're having the issue. Is there a setting I might be missing?

JonpriL

Thank you for the response, @ErinBauer!

I'm here to help you correct your Products and Services set up and select a Class category.

If you haven't yet, let's go back to your items then edit it correctly.

Let me show you how:

1. Go to the Sales page.
  2. Select Products and Services.
  3. Find the items you want to edit.
  4. Under the ACTION column, click Edit.
  5. Hit Change type and choose Inventory.
  6. In the Class drop-down menu, select a class category.
  7. Click Save and close.

This way, your items will be corrected accordingly.

Here's a screenshot for visual reference.

However, I still suggest contacting your accountant for further assistance.

Let me know how it works or if you are referring to something else. I'll be always around to help.

pccsing
Level 3

Hi. How can I make sure that our receipts are printed so that classes show up? I'm not able to see where to turn that on. I see it on the screen but not on the print version.

Thanks-

ShiellaGraceA
QuickBooks Team

Hello pccsing,

Adding a class in the receipt isn't possible. If you need to include the class, you can add it to the Memo section. Let me guide you through how.

1. In the Receive Payment window, scroll down to the Memo section.
  2. Type in the class details.
  3. Click Print.

For Sales Receipt, add the class under the Message displayed on sales receipt section.

I've attached screenshots for you.

Please read this article for more information about sales receipts: Customise your invoices, estimates, and sales receipts in QuickBooks Online.

You can also visit our page for future help regarding: Income and expenses.

Please leave a comment anytime if you have additional questions. We're always here for you.

pccsing
Level 3

Understood. If possible, please add the option to include the class column (screen viewable) to the print version. This helps our customers as they make ticket (item) purchases to our classes (concerts).

Thanks much-

kellyco
Level 1

my class tracking is turned on- i have categorized class under the bill. However invoices are not showing up grouped by class. How do I turn this on?

JessT

Let's group your transactions, kellyco.

If you have classes on your invoices and bills, you can group these transactions per class on your reports. A few reports with classes are Sales by Class Details or Purchases by Class Detail.

As long as a report has a Group By option and there is a Class on the selection, you can group transactions by class.

If you have additional questions, you can always go back to this thread.

gsb06
Level 2

Hi there! I have all this activated up and running but when I run the reports I have couple invoices with items that are assigned as not specified. when i click into the invoice there is already a classes assigned to the whole transactions.

is there something that I am missing? 

please help! Thank you so much 

GraceC
QuickBooks Team

Hello there, @gsb06.

In QuickBooks, the classes can only be connected to the items on a sales transaction or on the transaction itself. We're unable to link them to a Receive Payment since it doesn't have a Class field.

In the meantime, if you wish to know how much payment you received per class, you can run the Sales by Class Detail report. From there, set the Accounting method to a Cash basis. A cash basis will only count the paid transactions, which also includes your sales receipts.

If you have further questions or any other concerns, leave a comment below. I’ll jump right back in to answer them for you. Have a good one.

umajonwal
Level 1

I have allocated a class to all the services in product and Service section. Still when any invoice is automatically pulled from my another software it does not assign the class to the service item. How can I make sure the class is assigned each time the invoice is automatically pulled from my sales software?

DebSheenD
QuickBooks Team

Welcome to the Community, @umajonwal. Let's get this sorted out.

You're on the right track in setting up the classes for your products and services. With that, you should be able to see a Class column in your invoices automatically when entering a product on the line items.

I'll show you a sample screenshot of how it should look like:

However, If you're still not seeing the classes from your sales software, I recommend contacting your third-party support team. They'll be able to take over and check your account using tools unavailable to us in this public space.

For additional reference, I've attached a link you can use about how to check an app's contact information for support: Apps that work with QuickBooks.

Please let me know if you need anything else regarding the integration with QuickBooks. The Community and I will be here to help you.

umajonwal
Level 1

Thanks for your reply. When I enter the service Item manually, The class is allocated. However, when the invoice is pulled from the other software, the service item is correctly selected but the class is not allocated automatically. I have to open each invoice then when I reenter the same service then the class appears on the class column.

Need to get in touch?

Contact us